There are 169 users in the forums

Walter Football Mock (3/20)

Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by YouGotGored:
Am I the only one who thinks Reid gets snagged way sooner than that?

I think he's a top 50 pick. I bet he goes before Elam and Cyprien.
Yeah, I can't imagine Eric Reid being there in the third round. And the other thing wrong with this analysis is that Cyprien is a strong safety and so is Elam. Reid is a free safety. I can imagine Reid still being there with their 63rd pick and them taking him there.

Cyprien could play FS or SS. For a lot of teams it doesn't really matter that much.

I think Reid is the second best safety in the draft. I'm not really big on Elam anyways.
[ Edited by btthepunk on Mar 23, 2013 at 6:13 PM ]
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Cyprien could play FS or SS. For a lot of teams it doesn't really matter that much.

I think Reid is the second best safety in the draft. I'm not really big on Elam anyways.

I'd be very happy if they get either Cyprien or Reid. They both have size and speed. They both have good coverage skills and they're both good tacklers. They're both starting-quality safeties. The thing I like about this mock is getting a starting quality DE and Safety with the first two picks. If that happens, and then they get a big NT guy later on, I'm happy with whatever else happens in this draft.
I was looking at Reid earlier today the guy is ranked all over the place.

After the 1st round the 2013 draft is a total crap shoot the rankings vary widely impossible to mock.
I see 7-9 total players being drafted...if Baalke's smart ( and I believe he is), he'll use some/most of his "excess" picks to trade up into 2nd and 3rd rds to nab a total of 7 from top 3 rds. Quality over quantity should be the guiding principle...
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
This. Agreed. Ditto. Yes.
Perhaps the posters declaring for 7 of nine picks going defensive watched only the playoffs.

Well, the playoffs are important, aren't they. If the defense hadn't collapsed in the playoffs, the Niners would have a sixth ring today. They need at least one more starter-quality d-lineman to rotate with Smith, they need more depth on the line and they absolutely need better coverage skills from the safety position.
The point is that the defense was one of the best in the league before the injuries. The offense has the same need for backups as does the defense. Injuries could occur to Vernon, Kaep, Iupati, Crabtee, or Boldin. Getting a DL backup is no more important than backing up the offensive starters with capable players.
Our defense needs some depth to develop and there is going to be some salary cap pressure coming in the next couple years especially from the offensive side of the team.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
The point is that the defense was one of the best in the league before the injuries. The offense has the same need for backups as does the defense. Injuries could occur to Vernon, Kaep, Iupati, Crabtee, or Boldin. Getting a DL backup is no more important than backing up the offensive starters with capable players.

I don't disagree with you that you need depth everywhere. I just think that of all the areas on the team, the biggest lack of depth is on the d-line. In addition to the injuries, I think there was a problem with a lack of rotation on the d-line. Justin Smith played way too many snaps. They've got a lot more depth right now on the o-line, especially with Looney coming off his injury and they've got a pretty deep receiving and running back group. Yes, they need another TE and injuries are always an issue at quarterback, but as always, they'll enter the season with three QB's.
Not sure why everyone wants Lattimore. To get him in the 4th round would be great value but we have two good young RBs to replace Gore.
Share 49ersWebzone