There are 166 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Walter Football Mock (3/20)

Normally this site does a horrible job, but this would be a very nice draft for the Niners. Love the picks in the third through the fifth.
1. Datone Jones (34 DE/ 43 DT/ 43 DE)
2. Cyprien (FS)
2. Jamie Collins (OLB)
3. Gavin Escobar (TE)
3. Eric Reid (S)
4. Marcus Lattimore (RB)
4. AJ Klein (ILB)
5. Kwame Gaethers (NT)
5. Walter Stewart (OLB)

I wouldn't kick this mock outta bed. Favorite picks (albeit unrealistic for Reid) are the Datone, Collins, Reid, Lattimore, and Klein picks.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
7 of 9 on defense sounds about right to me, especially early in the draft (and this mock only has five rounds). In my opinion our only offensive needs would be 1-2 more pass-catchers (probably 1 WR and one TE, or just a WR) and maybe some OL depth. On defense we have needs at every level.


Why do people think we have needs at every level on defense? We certainly don't have more needs on defense than we do on offense. It's about even if you ask me.

Defense:
Need a 3-4 DE to replace Justin Smith (in a year or two)
Need a FS to compete with Trenton Robinson
Need a SS to replace Whitner (in a year)
Need a NT to compete
Need a CB to replace Rogers (in a year or two)

Offense:
Need a WR to replace Boldin (in a year)
Need a TE to replace Walker (now)
Need a OT for depth behind Staley and Davis
Need a between the tackles RB (to replace Gore in a year
This. Agreed. Ditto. Yes.
Perhaps the posters declaring for 7 of nine picks going defensive watched only the playoffs.
Nice draft
Originally posted by KegBert:
Originally posted by jb49ers80:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Not be angry? I would do cartwheels if the Niners had this draft. This would be just about the ideal draft.

co-signed.

Completely agree. I'm in the mindset we need to devote the majority of our picks to the D, I'm also high on Datone. Only thing im skeptical of is if Reid would actually be available in the bottom of the 3rd.


Agree. Reid has been receiving criticism for being poor on defending the pass, but this is a long way for him to fall. Then again, so-called experts are very often wrong in their draft prognostications.

While I really like this mock, a change that I would like to see the Niners make is to draft Matt Scott. Even at the end of the third if they have to. If he falls that far. Ideally they can get him in the fourth. IDN.
I would be super happy with this draft as others said.
Am I the only one who thinks Reid gets snagged way sooner than that?
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Originally posted by blm7754:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
7 of 9 on defense sounds about right to me, especially early in the draft (and this mock only has five rounds). In my opinion our only offensive needs would be 1-2 more pass-catchers (probably 1 WR and one TE, or just a WR) and maybe some OL depth. On defense we have needs at every level.


Why do people think we have needs at every level on defense? We certainly don't have more needs on defense than we do on offense. It's about even if you ask me.

Defense:
Need a 3-4 DE to replace Justin Smith (in a year or two)
Need a FS to compete with Trenton Robinson
Need a SS to replace Whitner (in a year)
Need a NT to compete
Need a CB to replace Rogers (in a year or two)

Offense:
Need a WR to replace Boldin (in a year)
Need a TE to replace Walker (now)
Need a OT for depth behind Staley and Davis
Need a between the tackles RB (to replace Gore in a year or two)
Need a backup QB to compete

Seems like we have just as many needs on offense

Well, you forgot ILB as we only have Willis, Bowman, and Skuta. I'm torn about OLB. We have a lot of bodies in Haralson, Johnson, and Fleming, but they all might suck. It would be nice to have a legitimate pass rusher to platoon with Aldon and Brooks. There, all three levels.

Your points about the offense are fair, although I don't think we need to draft a WR, QB, or RB. We could based on value,and planning for the future, but we go into this year with Cratbree, Boldin, Jenkins, Manningham, Williams, Moore, and Lockette. And Gore, Hunter, James, Dixon, and Hampton. And I think we might sign a QB more proven than Tolzien. I see RB, QB, and WR as 2014 draft priorities.


At ILB we have Willis, Bowman, Skuta, and Wilhoite. So yeah, we could add a late round pick to add competition for the top backup spot. But if I add ILB, I'll also add Center. Goodwin only has a year left. We have Kilgore and Looney, but "they all might suck".

As for OLB, Haralson is a proven vet. He would start on most other teams in the league. That gives us 3 quality OLBs and two unproven draft picks to compete. I think we are easily set there.

Not drafting a WR high would be absolutely stupid. Jenkins could be a bust. Lockette and Moore won't make the team. Manningham won't be any help till mid-season and may never be the same again. Boldin is a 1 year rental. And Williams is a #3 WR at best. WR continues to be a big need. To add insult to injury, Crabtree may be very difficult to retain long term and his contract is up in a year (could be franchised for another). I'd bet the farm we draft a WR in rounds 1 or 2.

We may not draft a QB or RB, but I'd be supprised if we don't at least get a RB in rounds 5-7.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
This. Agreed. Ditto. Yes.
Perhaps the posters declaring for 7 of nine picks going defensive watched only the playoffs.

But our defensive performance in the playoffs went from bad to terrible as the playoffs progressed, kind of hard not to overlook it.
We need starters and depth on both sides of the ball, glad we have a lot of draft picks.
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
This. Agreed. Ditto. Yes.
Perhaps the posters declaring for 7 of nine picks going defensive watched only the playoffs.

But our defensive performance in the playoffs went from bad to terrible as the playoffs progressed, kind of hard not to overlook it.
We need starters and depth on both sides of the ball, glad we have a lot of draft picks.Ba
Before injuries to Aldon and Justin (as well as Brooks before the SB), the Niners' was among the best. Concluding the Niners' needs from only the playoffs would be wrong. The Niners need one defensive starter, and an equal number of backups on both units.
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
This. Agreed. Ditto. Yes.
Perhaps the posters declaring for 7 of nine picks going defensive watched only the playoffs.

But our defensive performance in the playoffs went from bad to terrible as the playoffs progressed, kind of hard not to overlook it.
We need starters and depth on both sides of the ball, glad we have a lot of draft picks.
I'm not sure why people think needs on offense and defense are equal. The defense collapsed last season and three starters have left in free agency. The offense scored over 30 points a game in the playoffs, but the defense surrendered more points than any Niner defense has ever given up going as far as the Super Bowl. They need depth on the defensive line now. They need a starting-quality safety now. They need another starting quality defensive lineman to rotate with Justin Smith now. What do they absolutely need right now on offense? A tight end? Another backup QB?
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
This. Agreed. Ditto. Yes.
Perhaps the posters declaring for 7 of nine picks going defensive watched only the playoffs.

Well, the playoffs are important, aren't they. If the defense hadn't collapsed in the playoffs, the Niners would have a sixth ring today. They need at least one more starter-quality d-lineman to rotate with Smith, they need more depth on the line and they absolutely need better coverage skills from the safety position.
Originally posted by YouGotGored:
Am I the only one who thinks Reid gets snagged way sooner than that?

I think he's a top 50 pick. I bet he goes before Elam and Cyprien.
[ Edited by btthepunk on Mar 23, 2013 at 5:35 PM ]
Originally posted by blm7754:
At ILB we have Willis, Bowman, Skuta, and Wilhoite. So yeah, we could add a late round pick to add competition for the top backup spot. But if I add ILB, I'll also add Center. Goodwin only has a year left. We have Kilgore and Looney, but "they all might suck".

As for OLB, Haralson is a proven vet. He would start on most other teams in the league. That gives us 3 quality OLBs and two unproven draft picks to compete. I think we are easily set there.

Not drafting a WR high would be absolutely stupid. Jenkins could be a bust. Lockette and Moore won't make the team. Manningham won't be any help till mid-season and may never be the same again. Boldin is a 1 year rental. And Williams is a #3 WR at best. WR continues to be a big need. To add insult to injury, Crabtree may be very difficult to retain long term and his contract is up in a year (could be franchised for another). I'd bet the farm we draft a WR in rounds 1 or 2.

We may not draft a QB or RB, but I'd be supprised if we don't at least get a RB in rounds 5-7.

This agreed.

Baalke and Harbaugh have got to be looking at the WR group and realizing what lies ahead...

Boldin - 1 or 2 and gone (lucky to have even gotten Boldin for 2013 thanks Johnbaugh)
Crabtree - high probability gone for FA $$$$ after 2014
FA WR's - 49ers can't afford em
49ers draft position - will be drafting end of 1st round next several years
14 picks in 2013 draft - can't keep them all
Big fast explosive playmaking wideout Cordarrelle Patterson is on the board and we need to find a way to get this kid
[ Edited by SkyGod on Mar 23, 2013 at 5:49 PM ]
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by YouGotGored:
Am I the only one who thinks Reid gets snagged way sooner than that?

I think he's a top 50 pick. I bet he goes before Elam and Cyprien.
Yeah, I can't imagine Eric Reid being there in the third round. And the other thing wrong with this analysis is that Cyprien is a strong safety and so is Elam. Reid is a free safety. I can imagine Reid still being there with their 63rd pick and them taking him there.