There are 105 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why draft a big super fast reciever

A productive wide receiver is a productive wide receiver regardless of the size. What is big? Height? Weight? 6'1" vs. 6'2? Not much diff to me." Unless you talking Fristz or Megatron- and these guys go in the top ten.

You also gotta take into account wingspan and hops as they also affect the zone in which a QB can throw to a wide receiver. Plus there are a lot teams with avg to small receivers that have won the superbowl. The smallest of course were the infamous smurfs.In addition the goat didn't do much in his first season. We need some people that will contibute now and we also need to fill holes. As I said the playing time for any wr drafted by us will be small this year and think we will be better serve by those who will impact the team.

If we hadn't gotten Bolden then yes, we would draft one in the top 2 rounds, as of right now, you want a big target, guess what, we need a TE and they come big and will contribute more than a third wr.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,369
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Aaron Dobson is the only big fast physical receiver I see in the draft. But yes I do think we need a big fast receiver but perhaps we could wait another to draft one. slot receiver in the middle rounds may be the route we take

anyone know any big WRs coming up in 2014 or 2015?


Here are five more big, fast wide receivers who are this draft.

Aaron Dobson Marshall 6'2 5/8 210 4.44 (for comparison)

1. Corey Fuller Virginia Tech 6'2 1/2 204 4.43

2. Cordarrelle Patterson Tennessee 6'1 7/8 216 4.42

3. Mark Harrison Rutgers 6'2 7/8 231 4.46

4. Justin Hunter Tennessee 6'3 5/8 196 4.44

5. Charles Johnson Grand Valley St 6'2 215 4.44
[ Edited by buck on Mar 21, 2013 at 12:57 AM ]
Originally posted by jonr422000:
Originally posted by buck:
Rogers might be one of the most overrated players in this years draft.

Last year, he had 61 receptions for 893 yards and 10 scores.

He was the 5th ranked receiver in receptions per game and 6th ranked receiver in total receiving yards in the Ohio Valley Conference.
In the FCS, he was 28th in receiving yards and 41st in receptions per game.


If you look at his game to game production. It was hardly consistent.

He had one monster game, one beastly game--against a weak Southeastern Missouri St.
In that game, he had 18 receptions for 303 yards and two scores.
Over 33% of his receiving yards and 29.5% of his receptions came in that one game.

Last year he played in 11 games. That was his only 100 yard game of the season.
He had one game with 0 receiving yards receptions and three games with less than 50 yards.

His apparent inconsistency could be a result of the quarterback he was playing with. I do not know.
The team's passing attack was 5th in the Ohio Valley Conference and 32nd in the FCS.

I just do not think that those are the numbers put up by a beast from the SEC playing against lesser competition.

His numbers raise red flags. One great game, one terrible game, three poor games, 6 decent games.

Does he really have his head on straight?
Big deal with these numbers Boldin got kicked off the team at FSU for shoplifting with Peter Warrick. Warrick got to stay on the team was a his draft choice with all the stats, but where is he now? Stats arent everything and don't tell the whole story.

WTF are you talking about? Boldin didn't get kicked off FSU's team. You're thinking about Laveranues Coles who went on to play for the Jets. Boldin was a freshman that year.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 21,944
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by valrod33:
The only WRs that we know are gonna be good are Crabtree and Boldin the rest are unknowns. How are Manningham and Williams gonna be after knee surgery? Lockette, Jenkins and Moore are unkown at this point. WR is a question mark after the first two guys.

This is the most serious post valrod has ever posted


Yeah, lol.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,382
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Envy:
Have to say but I don't actually think 6ft 3in is big enough. We need to be going taller.

Sarcasm? I hope. The NFL is filled with junk wide receivers that are big and tall but useless. The amount of quality receivers that are 6'4" and above is shockingly low. If you're looking for real huge targets, then you are looking for tight-ends generally, not wide receivers.

It wasn't actually but I guess I can see how it could be taken that way.

I quite agree with you that there is a real deficit in productive WRs in the giant category and right away I don't believe that the 49ers should consider anyone that they believe is not good enough. That being said I will echo the points raised in this discussion that you cannot coach BIG and the threat of a giant WR is surely a weapon we must have to succeed with some of our RZ woes.

This season coming we shall see 2 of the NFC West teams improve their defences again. This means we need to counter them. The current top 2 WRs in our arsenal are quality. The rest are unknown or still questionable. Whilst there was an argument to draft a tricky quick slot receiver there is an equal argument to go find a giant WR.

Even if he is deployed in situational pass plays to take coverage off our better players the mere fact that the threat of a tall WR is enough to have DCs worry about it. Especially when you consider we have a QB with a rocket arm and wouldn't struggle to find someone high in the air.

I'm not advocating anyone spunk the draft to find the next Brandon Marshall but we have to put this as a need on our radar because without that threat then all our speed and craft does not fulfill its potential.
So I see Lockette is this years Webzone Practice Squad Crush. I capatialize because it should be an official title by now. Every year there has been a guy who has done nothing and may never do anything, but is somehow a probowler that every team in the league was too ignorant to see. With us having these gods among men spilling out of our all scrub team every year we should have been undefeated by now.
Originally posted by WildBill:
A productive wide receiver is a productive wide receiver regardless of the size. What is big? Height? Weight? 6'1" vs. 6'2? Not much diff to me." Unless you talking Fristz or Megatron- and these guys go in the top ten.

You also gotta take into account wingspan and hops as they also affect the zone in which a QB can throw to a wide receiver. Plus there are a lot teams with avg to small receivers that have won the superbowl. The smallest of course were the infamous smurfs.In addition the goat didn't do much in his first season. We need some people that will contibute now and we also need to fill holes. As I said the playing time for any wr drafted by us will be small this year and think we will be better serve by those who will impact the team.

If we hadn't gotten Bolden then yes, we would draft one in the top 2 rounds, as of right now, you want a big target, guess what, we need a TE and they come big and will contribute more than a third wr.

Good points...I think Boldin is a big time receiver, but not a big receiver. He often goes up for balls and wins the battle, so he is effective; but he is not 6'5" with a long reach. He is also hard to knock off his route--another definition of a big receiver. If you look at our receivers and compare them to top guys around the league, Boldin is the only one who creates a big target...can catch the ball within six feet of where he is. All the other guys need the ball hitting them in the hands or bread basket or they just don't catch it.

This has been an issue with 9er receivers for some time with the only exception I can recall being Lloyd--though he was so erratic that he was allowed to leave. Another way of stating what I call a big receiver is a guy who makes surprising catches beyond the ordinary--consistently...particularly in the Red Zone The niners need as many of these guys as they can get, at whatever height. Crabtree may develop more in this regard as he achieves success and works out with Boldin.

Just a thought--Dwight Clark was/is 6'4" and would not have made "The Catch" had he been 6'2"
Originally posted by ninerfan1984:
Originally posted by NinerGold39:
coulda woulda shoulda....

Stephen Hill 6'4" 215lbs 4.36 40 time


Hill was/is extremely raw and i still think he would of sat all of last year like Jenkins did. he played last year cause he was on a crappy jets team im tired of people around here acting like we missed out on Hill. He did nothing special his rookie except get playing time due to being on a crappy team.

You're right about him getting PT on a crappy team or he could have balled in our system which has a better coaching staff and a much better QB than the Jets. However, nobody can really predict the outcome. My point is that there was a big and fast receiver (as this thread implies) available last year and we went a different direction.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
So I see Lockette is this years Webzone Practice Squad Crush. I capatialize because it should be an official title by now. Every year there has been a guy who has done nothing and may never do anything, but is somehow a probowler that every team in the league was too ignorant to see. With us having these gods among men spilling out of our all scrub team every year we should have been undefeated by now.

Even Harbaugh is on the bandwagon.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Aaron Dobson is the only big fast physical receiver I see in the draft. But yes I do think we need a big fast receiver but perhaps we could wait another to draft one. slot receiver in the middle rounds may be the route we take

anyone know any big WRs coming up in 2014 or 2015?


Here are five more big, fast wide receivers who are this draft.

Aaron Dobson Marshall 6'2 5/8 210 4.44 (for comparison)

1. Corey Fuller Virginia Tech 6'2 1/2 204 4.43

2. Cordarrelle Patterson Tennessee 6'1 7/8 216 4.42

3. Mark Harrison Rutgers 6'2 7/8 231 4.46

4. Justin Hunter Tennessee 6'3 5/8 196 4.44

5. Charles Johnson Grand Valley St 6'2 215 4.44

Ricardo Lockette 6'3 215 4.35
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
So I see Lockette is this years Webzone Practice Squad Crush. I capatialize because it should be an official title by now. Every year there has been a guy who has done nothing and may never do anything, but is somehow a probowler that every team in the league was too ignorant to see. With us having these gods among men spilling out of our all scrub team every year we should have been undefeated by now.

Even Harbaugh is on the bandwagon.

...and we can always trust Harbaugh to tell us the whole truth all the time...





not




I would not put it past Harbaugh to be putting this spin on Lockette just to challenge Jenkins to get his act together and get ready to earn his draft position.
[ Edited by dj43 on Mar 21, 2013 at 9:31 AM ]
How come when I mentioned Rico Lockette last yr. almost all of you were like "who da hell is he, and what goo is he",, Now everybodys on his tip ?? Told u guys he's a find !, Dude was da fastest guy in Div II track and football.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,369
Originally posted by kam_niners1:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Aaron Dobson is the only big fast physical receiver I see in the draft. But yes I do think we need a big fast receiver but perhaps we could wait another to draft one. slot receiver in the middle rounds may be the route we take

anyone know any big WRs coming up in 2014 or 2015?


Here are five more big, fast wide receivers who are this draft.

Aaron Dobson Marshall 6'2 5/8 210 4.44 (for comparison)

1. Corey Fuller Virginia Tech 6'2 1/2 204 4.43

2. Cordarrelle Patterson Tennessee 6'1 7/8 216 4.42

3. Mark Harrison Rutgers 6'2 7/8 231 4.46

4. Justin Hunter Tennessee 6'3 5/8 196 4.44

5. Charles Johnson Grand Valley St 6'2 215 4.44

Ricardo Lockette 6'3 215 4.35


Did you read the post? It is about this draft.

Lockette is not one of the wide receivers in the 2013 draft.
Imo we shoulld use our 1st 3 picks on defense dt/nt-3/4 de-safety
D. Jones
J. Williams
P. Thomas
Aaron Dobson
...