There are 58 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why draft a big super fast reciever

Originally posted by dj43:
We have to win the division first, and with Seattle's big CBs, it would be nice to have a 6'3"+ 220+ pound guy to do battle with them.

Once again, I'm of the mind that you don't fight strength vs strength, you fight strength vs weakness. Having a big, physical possession receiver can help, especially in regards to run blocking, but you beat big DB's through quickness, you have guys who go where they can't. Browner for example has relatively slow hips, he's struggled with quick speed receivers, so you utilize those shifty guys to get separation and make big plays down the field.

Think about it the other way around, if you have a big tall CB who is good in coverage but not the fastest or most fluid guy out on the field, do you want him matched up with a bigger receiver or do you want him on a smaller burner that can use their quickness and speed to get separation and get down the field in a hurry?
I dont think speed is as important as others.

I do think we need a large, sure handed RZ target. I could care less about blazing speed, as long as they arent "slow". The track is one thing, the football field is another.
Originally posted by SkyGod:
Da'Rick Rogers ran a 4.52 at the combine and his game speed looks even slower plus he has character issues. I have not read 1 scouting report or ranking that has evaluated Rogers as a potential elite level NFL wideout and I would agree. No thanks.

The only other wideout I would consider in the 1st round would be Keenan Allen, if he runs at least a 4.4 before the draft.

But i'd still take Patterson over them all by far.

Rams: rumors they may take Patterson at 16th and Austin at 22nd if they are on the board.

Because 40 time is everything, right? Boldin ran a 4.7 40 at the Combine, but by your assessment, he must have been an awful receiver for his career.

Rogers is a tremendous talent, 1st round talent that has dropped because of character issues, he's damn near impossible to jam at the line of scrimmage, he simply outmuscles defensive backs, he uses his width and body well and is a dependable hands receiver, plus a threat to gain yards after the catch. I'd love to have Rogers, he's not a speedster but he will use his size to beat opposing defensive backs.

Generally I'd prefer a smaller, quicker receiver, but Rogers is an absolute beast on the field. If you run a 3 WR set with Crabtree, Boldin and Rogers, that's a b***h to defend, I don't think any team has the ability to handle 3 guys that are that physical, the 49ers secondary struggled with just one in Boldin. I would happily take Rogers on to this team and let him be an active contributor as well as develop to take over for Boldin down the road.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 20, 2013 at 5:57 PM ]
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I dont think speed is as important as others.

I do think we need a large, sure handed RZ target. I could care less about blazing speed, as long as they arent "slow". The track is one thing, the football field is another.

I agree, Boldin has never been the fastest, neither is Larry Fitzgerald but that didn't stop the Cardinals from having a very impressive group of wide receivers. If the 49ers draft a beast like Rogers and Jenkins develops into a useful deep threat, the 49ers WR's will be set pretty well going into the future. I love Patton's game, his quickness, work ethic and more, he would be my preference but I'd be perfectly content with Rogers as well. I think he would do very well on a team that is loaded with stable veterans, having guys like Crabtree and Boldin to learn from.

Also, let's be real, Rogers might be the closest thing to Julio Jones since the original. He's by no means slow, he needs to improve his route running and has some lapses in concentration but he's an explosive athlete, a tremendous leaper(40 inch vertical at 6'3") and a very physical, aggressive player who is tough to bring down in the open field. I could see him being an absolute star in the NFL and he won't cost the 49ers a 1st round pick.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 20, 2013 at 5:56 PM ]
Originally posted by valrod33:
The only WRs that we know are gonna be good are Crabtree and Boldin the rest are unknowns. How are Manningham and Williams gonna be after knee surgery? Lockette, Jenkins and Moore are unkown at this point. WR is a question mark after the first two guys.

And has been for years! There is a good chance to fix the position for years to come, why not draft a guy to put into the mix? 14 picks--surely one can be used to help strengthen this position. I would like to see the niners forced to cut really good players before the season, rather than go into TC with just enough and have some injured.
Da'Rick Rogers ran a 4.52 at the combine and his game speed looks even slower plus he has character issues. I have not read 1 scouting report or ranking that has evaluated Rogers as a potential elite level NFL wideout and I would agree. No thanks.

The only other wideout I would consider in the 1st round would be Keenan Allen, if he runs at least a 4.4 before the draft.

But i'd still take Patterson over them all by far.

Rams: rumors they may take Patterson at 16th and Austin at 22nd if they are on the board.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before the 2012 season, one source told WalterFootball.com that Rogers was already a starting-caliber wide receiver for the NFL. He could be a dangerous receiver in an NFL West Coast offense. Rogers has the speed and big-play ability to be a X (split end) receiver and the size to function as the Z (flanker) receiver.
http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013drogers.php

Outside of the aforementioned character concerns, there really isn't a whole heck of alot to not like about Rogers. He is right up there with former Tennessee teammate Cordarrelle Patterson with the most upside of any receiver in the draft. I love his combination of speed, athleticism and physicality. These are traits that you cannot teach; a player either has them or he doesn't.

Rogers just moved up to No. 3 among wide receivers on my big board and currently has an early first-round grade. His NFL comparison is Anquan Boldin with a bit more upside.
http://edraft.com/nfl/news/2013-nfl-draft-darick-rogers-scouting-report/

On Tennessee Tech wide receiver Da'Rick Rogers:
"He‟s a gifted guy. I don‟t think he ran as fast as he had hoped to today. You put his tape on
against Oregon at Tennessee Tech, and you go, „Wow.‟ He caught four or five balls early
against a team way better than them and they double-teamed him the rest of the way. He has
some drops on tape, he‟s a gifted kid. The more important thing is how do you figure the kid
out? He‟s had some significant off the field question marks and that‟s going to hurt his value." - Mike Mayock
http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/nfl-network-analyst-mike-mayock-press-conference-sunday-feb-24.pdf

Rogers is a virtual Julio Jones clone, exhibiting an exciting combination of size, strength and explosiveness.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737204

At 6-feet-2 and 203 pounds with excellent leaping ability and ball skills,Da'Rick Rogers is arguably the most physically gifted wide receiver in the 2013 NFL Draft. He's often compared to Atlanta Falcons star wideout Julio Jones for his combination of size, strength and explosiveness.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/21747696/2013-nfl-combine-darick-rogers-not-hiding-from-troubled-past

Sounds pretty elite to me. His major weakness is being a knucklehead at Tennessee.
[ Edited by Travisty13 on Mar 20, 2013 at 6:13 PM ]
Originally posted by Travisty13:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before the 2012 season, one source told WalterFootball.com that Rogers was already a starting-caliber wide receiver for the NFL. He could be a dangerous receiver in an NFL West Coast offense. Rogers has the speed and big-play ability to be a X (split end) receiver and the size to function as the Z (flanker) receiver.
http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013drogers.php

Outside of the aforementioned character concerns, there really isn't a whole heck of alot to not like about Rogers. He is right up there with former Tennessee teammate Cordarrelle Patterson with the most upside of any receiver in the draft. I love his combination of speed, athleticism and physicality. These are traits that you cannot teach; a player either has them or he doesn't.

Rogers just moved up to No. 3 among wide receivers on my big board and currently has an early first-round grade. His NFL comparison is Anquan Boldin with a bit more upside.
http://edraft.com/nfl/news/2013-nfl-draft-darick-rogers-scouting-report/

On Tennessee Tech wide receiver Da'Rick Rogers:
"He‟s a gifted guy. I don‟t think he ran as fast as he had hoped to today. You put his tape on
against Oregon at Tennessee Tech, and you go, „Wow.‟ He caught four or five balls early
against a team way better than them and they double-teamed him the rest of the way. He has
some drops on tape, he‟s a gifted kid. The more important thing is how do you figure the kid
out? He‟s had some significant off the field question marks and that‟s going to hurt his value." - Mike Mayock
http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/nfl-network-analyst-mike-mayock-press-conference-sunday-feb-24.pdf

Rogers is a virtual Julio Jones clone, exhibiting an exciting combination of size, strength and explosiveness.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737204

At 6-feet-2 and 203 pounds with excellent leaping ability and ball skills,Da'Rick Rogers is arguably the most physically gifted wide receiver in the 2013 NFL Draft. He's often compared to Atlanta Falcons star wideout Julio Jones for his combination of size, strength and explosiveness.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/21747696/2013-nfl-combine-darick-rogers-not-hiding-from-troubled-past

Sounds pretty elite to me. His major weakness is being a knucklehead at Tennessee.

Rogers also had his Pro Day today at Tennessee, along with Justin Hunter and Cordarrelle Patterson. Mayock called both Hunter and Rogers "first round talents" and from everything I've read, Rogers looked absolutely outstanding. No matter where Rogers is picked, he'll be picked lower than his talent indicates. Rogers has true 1st round ability but getting kicked off the Vols for doing drugs is the only thing that is keeping him out of the 1st round. The guy has it all, much more of a complete receiver than Hunter, not as explosive as Patterson but much more developed as a route runner and receiver.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2013/03/20/cordarrelle-patterson-is-still-drafts-top-wr-mike-mayock-says/
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 20, 2013 at 6:27 PM ]
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Have to say but I don't actually think 6ft 3in is big enough. We need to be going taller.
Originally posted by Envy:
Have to say but I don't actually think 6ft 3in is big enough. We need to be going taller.

Sarcasm? I hope. The NFL is filled with junk wide receivers that are big and tall but useless. The amount of quality receivers that are 6'4" and above is shockingly low. If you're looking for real huge targets, then you are looking for tight-ends generally, not wide receivers.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 20, 2013 at 6:30 PM ]
Honestly Crabtree and Boldin are two of the strongest, toughest, and most versatile WRs in the league. Neither of them is a Calvin Johnson all-around talent, but their primary strengths are making tough catches in traffic, battling physically, blocking, and lining up inside or outside.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Honestly Crabtree and Boldin are two of the strongest, toughest, and most versatile WRs in the league. Neither of them is a Calvin Johnson all-around talent, but their primary strengths are making tough catches in traffic, battling physically, blocking, and lining up inside or outside.

I'll take guys like that all day. There's only one Calvin Johnson but if you can continue to acquire and develop quality receivers, you'll always be in good shape.
Lockette is the only height weight speed guy that we really have who can fill that void of having a big physical fast wideout who can stretch the field and serve as a big target in the redzone. He is unproven and thus we should bring in at least another guy to compete for that role.

Crabtree and Boldin are similar type of possession receivers, although Crabtree has good speed, but not elite speed.

Jenkins is unproven and is not a big physical presence.

Manningham is a great #3 receiver who can play inside and out, but again not a big physical presence. Kyle Williams is a slot guy. And I think Marlon Moore gets cut. And he's not a big physical receiver either.

Ideally, you would like to have at least one receiver on your team that's 6'2 + with speed to stretch the field and a solid red zone target. Lockette is the only one with the potential to serve that role, so we should bring in another guy or two to compete with him.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Is there anyone in the draft who is big, fast, and can catch well? Is it likely that we get that player?

Yes and we can get him if Baalke trades up!

Totally doable with 14 picks and still have lots of picks left over to draft some good players...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjxkQXlCAfE

Totally doable?? I am not so sure about that.

There is no doubt we have enough picks to move up and move up seriously if we want.

Baalke can not unilaterally decide to move up the board.

First, Baalke has to find a trading partner and then they have to agree on the terms of the trade.

Each attempted trade, completed or not, depends on the teams resolving a variety of issues, often with very little time.

We, at least I, have no idea how many trades are discussed before and during the draft.
My sense is that most potential trades never come to fruition. ev

After every draft, we will hear comments such as he should have traded for player X.

The simple truth is we do not know what trades were attempted but not completed. We only know about the trades that were completed.

I have never heard of a coach saying.

We wanted player Y with our pick Z. We tried to trade up for him but we could not get the deal done. So, we took player F instead.

Should be doable--ok. Totally doable--no.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 20, 2013 at 6:47 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:

I'll take guys like that all day. There's only one Calvin Johnson but if you can continue to acquire and develop quality receivers, you'll always be in good shape.

That's kind of my point. This thread is debating whether we have enough guys who are big and strong.

We have two guys who are big and strong. We also have the fastest TE in the league and two potential deep threats in Jenkins and Lockette. In sum, our WR corps isn't clearly missing any particular skill or attribute, although it may be lacking proven depth .Jenkins, Lockette, Moore, Williams, and Manningham might all suck. There may not be a high-end WR3 in the bunch, and there is certainly no heir apparent to Boldin as the WR2. Personally I'm optimistic about Jenkins though.
coulda woulda shoulda....

Stephen Hill 6'4" 215lbs 4.36 40 time