There are 71 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Chris Jones-DE/DT-Bowling Green

Chris Jones is a great late-round, small school sleeper. He was incredibly dominating at Bowling Green, an absolute defensive force. He was the MAC defensive player of the year. He also put up some solid Combine numbers as well.

Overall he goes 6'2" and 300 pounds, with a 5.10 40, 30 reps on the bench press and a 31 inch vertical. He went from 1 sack as a freshman to 6 as a sophomore to 8.5 as a senior and finally 12.5 this past season. He's very aggressive, plays with a high motor, defends the run and the pass well and could provide some good additional defensive line depth. He did play DE as well as DT at Bowling Green and could develop into a 3-4 DE at the next level. He's got solid fundamentals and gets off the line extremely fast, very difficult to block, he was receiving automatic double-teams pretty much all season and still getting through multiple blockers.

Character wise he seems to be a very quiet, hard-working type, not a hellraiser, has drawn praise from his coaches and teammates for leading by example.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 20, 2013 at 2:10 PM ]
I couldnt find any video on him because he pays for bowling gre en but I've heard good things. He was a 2nd team All-American which is a good sign. He will be a late round value pick
Originally posted by eonblue:
I couldnt find any video on him because he pays for bowling gre en but I've heard good things. He was a 2nd team All-American which is a good sign. He will be a late round value pick

I watched him play against Florida and Ohio, seemed to hold his own against top level competition. He's a guy that would be worthwhile to take a flyer on in the late 6th round/early 7th and try to develop into a productive player down the road. All the tools and work ethic are certainly there.
where would he fit in Niners scheme? as a nose tackle, or a 3-4 def end...he seems kind of short for the def end spot, and maybe not big enough for the nose tackle...

i think there are a couple of other prospects similar to him that could playin a similar manner, brent russell of georgia southern and joe vellano of maryland
Love to see this post. I'm a big fan of Chris Jones and feel he deserves to be talked about. I have him as a 4th rounder. Strong and disruptive... only knocks are the level of competition and his 6' 1.5 " height. His best defensive fit is in a 4-3, IMHO, but I wouldn't count him out for 3-4 teams.
Originally posted by hofer36:
where would he fit in Niners scheme? as a nose tackle, or a 3-4 def end...he seems kind of short for the def end spot, and maybe not big enough for the nose tackle...

i think there are a couple of other prospects similar to him that could playin a similar manner, brent russell of georgia southern and joe vellano of maryland

I think he could fit as a DE, and potentially contribute as an NT down the road after adding some weight. He's a little on the short side but still a tremendous player and its not like he's absurdly shorter than someone like RJF who was 6'3".
This guy is the Texans Marcus Cooper. Yep, he had that last penalty against the Jets called him but that really overlooks how well he has played. He has 4 sacks and has been very strong against the run. Very good value as a late 6th rounder. He has looked very good, showing the same crazy motor he showed at Bowling Green, very quick, athletic kineman.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 24, 2013 at 4:40 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This guy is the Texans Marcus Cooper. Yep, he had that last penalty against the Jets called him but that really overlooks how well he has played. He has 4 sacks and has been very strong against the run. Very good value as a late 6th rounder. He has looked very good, showing the same crazy motor he showed at Bowling Green, very quick, athletic kineman.

Glad to hear it. I haven't heard a word about him, and am now glad to know he's impressing.
He plays for the Pats now. Not the Texans.
Originally posted by Travisty13:

That's why I said he is the Texans Marcus Cooper.

Houston dumped him after drafting him late, he went to Tampa Bay, who also dumped him, NE picked up and so far it looks like they have a gem of a player.
Originally posted by Travisty13:

That's why I said he is the Texans Marcus Cooper.

Houston dumped him after drafting him late, he went to Tampa Bay, who also dumped him, NE picked up and so far it looks like they have a gem of a player.

Oh ok I follow you now. I assumed you were referring to them just being late round guys that have shown up to play in their 1st year. I missed the Texans/49ers analogy. I got you now.

Edit: Good call on Jones being a late sleeper pick.
[ Edited by Travisty13 on Oct 24, 2013 at 6:56 PM ]