There are 169 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MadDog's Big 254 Board

I think I have eradicated the stupid errors/ommissions on my part. Thanks all for the help. Now, onto the controversial projections.

Reposted the board without Niners bolded picks for now.
Thanks MD.
My take on your board:
Assuming Nnamdi signs w/Niners and Culliver moves to FS

25 (trade up #31, #93):
Olec Ogletree, OLB
34:
DeAndre Hopkins/Keenan Allen, WR
61:
John Jenkins, DT
74:
Gavin Escobar, TE
93 traded
101 (trade up with #128, #157, #164):
Malliciah Goodman, DE
128 traded:
131:
Denard Robinson, WR
157 traded
164 traded
Lower picks agree with MD's
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Mar 21, 2013 at 8:21 AM ]
Why the change in opinion on Tavon from your last board (I think you had him in the 40's)? Do you think he'll be a star, or do you just believe some team will think that?
I know you mentioned it in the original post about QB placements, but do you really think EJ Manuel at 27? He seems to have good physical tools, but his accuracy is all over the place. I remember catching part of one of his games last year, and he couldn't hit the broad side of the proverbial barn (of course, I have no way of knowing if there was a bad read by the receiver).

Do you think someone will risk him late in the first?
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Nassib at 8! He might go in the third lol

Might go at 8. Won't be there in the third. Way too much game and way too much interest. Could be an early second rounder, but I think the Bills are so desperate (are they really going to start T. Jackson?), that they select him to plug and play from the first day.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Thanks a whole lot for your time and effort. Are you planning on doing a mock draft of your own as if you were the GM?? I know theres critique on the Zone but overall, I KNOW the vast majority highly respect your analysis and like reading your opinions of the team as well.

Plus this year, you would have a lot of (ammo) to work with and could put together a great plan for how to attack the draft. It would be fun!! Do it!!!

I know I will greatly appreciate it.
I always break it down. However, I will do two analysis pages. On one, I will give all A grades to Niners' picks, and write lots of sugary sweet comments to make one part of the crowd happy. Then, I will write a second, real report on my thoughts. Everyone wins.

I also hope to be online during the draft for each pick, giving my selection. However, sometimes the board is so overrun, that it melts down pre and post pick. We will see this year.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Right on with Justin Hunter. The Texans are so high on him that they will most likely pull him off the board with their 27th overall. Plus he was really coming on strong at the end of the year.

Early entry players, especially at WR are very hard to project. Some ride way up the chart, and others sit back in a place that surprises many. Who would have thought that Stephen Hill would be a mid-second last year after blowing up the combine and Pro Day. It just happens. That being said, I have moved Hunter up a bit after his Campus Workout yesterday, which from all reports went well.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Hmmm. Davis is a 6'3", 233 WR who ran a 4.56 (4.40 unofficial) and jumped nearly 40" at the combine. Plus, in terms of production, he had a big Sr. year (with an inconsistent QB) with more than 50 catches, almost 1000 yards, a 18.7 average (13th in the nation) and 5 TD receptions. I don't have any major beefs with your big board and think (as usual), it's great work on your part. But I can't see too many scenarios where a guy like this goes undrafted.

I tend to agree with the analysis of NFL Draft Scout, which projects him as a late rounder. However, as a late round WR, you are usually a scrappy ST player, a small school developmental guy, etc., so I think he goes undrafted. That may change soon in my thinking, but right now, I tend to think that his benching will cause enough concern to have him off many team's boards.
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Im surprised Tavon Austin ranks higher than Patterson & Allen?

Wouldn't be surprised to see Austin go as early as 12 to the Dolphins. He is a hot rod right now on the boards. I don't see Allen as a first rounder.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Why the change in opinion on Tavon from your last board (I think you had him in the 40's)? Do you think he'll be a star, or do you just believe some team will think that?

Actually thought he would be smaller than he measured, and that would push him down the board. He is still small, but not as small as I thought. He is super fast on the field, and in the world of matchups, he presents real problems for a defense.

That being said, better value for a smaller WR is in Marquise Goodwin, who flat out flies as well.
Originally posted by pelos21:
What's so special about Nassib? I know you put a lot into this kuz so good job!

I am not as high on Nassib as many others. Good arm, intelligent player, very productive in college, ran the Bills offense as Syracuse. I still have EJ Manuel as my number one QB, followed by Geno Smith and then Nassib. I think Glennon is a turnover machine, and think Barkley has severe limitations at the next level. Finally, Tyler Wilson needs to play in a warm weather environment, since his sub-9 inch hands would be a disaster in cold weather, and Tyler Bray is a mess.
Originally posted by Decima_Mas:
Hi Maddog,
terrific job as usual.

In your opinion could RB Dennis Johnson be the 2013 version of Vick Ballard?

Thanks

I loved Ballard and he was my draftee on my board last year. Johnson a totally different back. Much smaller. However, could end up productive at the next level. To me, he is a rotational guy. Ballard is a three down workhorse. He would be the future for Gore. Too bad he is not on the roster.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 21, 2013 at 9:23 AM ]
Originally posted by socal9er42:
I know you mentioned it in the original post about QB placements, but do you really think EJ Manuel at 27? He seems to have good physical tools, but his accuracy is all over the place. I remember catching part of one of his games last year, and he couldn't hit the broad side of the proverbial barn (of course, I have no way of knowing if there was a bad read by the receiver).

I know that people thought I was crazy posting him way up there back in January, but he is a hot tamale right now. Probably the third QB off the board. Someone is going to jump back into the first to grab him. Maybe Arizona, or Philly, maybe the Jets. Someone is making the move. Great size, mobility. Really looked solid at the Senior Bowl. Funny how Mayock pushed him from off his top 5 to number two. Looked sharp at Pro Day.
I like what you do, MD, but wanted to ask a few rather innocent questions.

Do you have ties to NFL scouts or teams? Or are you just an avid draft nut looking from outside in? If it's the latter, hey, that's fine. Most of us are. Just wanted to know. Do you watch a ridiculous amount of college ball? replay games to watch prospects well known or unknown? Or just combine all that you see and read from around the web to form your conclusions?
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by socal9er42:

I know that people thought I was crazy posting him way up there back in January, but he is a hot tamale right now. Probably the third QB off the board. Someone is going to jump back into the first to grab him. Maybe Arizona, or Philly, maybe the Jets. Someone is making the move. Great size, mobility. Really looked solid at the Senior Bowl. Funny how Mayock pushed him from off his top 5 to number two. Looked sharp at Pro Day.

Odd, I heard otherwise. I heard he's one of the few QBs to have a terrible pro day.