There are 164 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MadDog's Big 254 Board

Nice board.

I can see Geno Smith and Ryan Nassib both going in the top 10 like you have them. I can even see a team trade up for one of them since this is a weak QB class and some teams are desperate.
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Nice to see Kiko Alonso get some love. Also, if John Boyett didn't get injured last year, I think he would've gotten picked in the 2-3 range. I think whoever takes a chance on him in the later rounds could get an absolute steal.

Alanso getting a lot of interest. He is a riser for sure. Good player. Teams just seeing now if he can fit into their system. I think Boyett's medical red flags kill off his career. Quite a shame,
This is a convoluted question so bear with me a sec...

I know you say it's not a mock and instead is just supposed to be an idea of generally where players will fall. But with that said, I know you also like to hit players in their exact slot when you can, and it's something to take pride in.

What that said, there are some placements I don't understand.

Eddy Lacy, 31: So clearly you have him "slotted" as a late 1st rounder. But there is almost a 0% he goes #31 on the nose, because that's our pick and us using a 1st on a RB would be a HUUUGE upset. Wouldn't you improve your chances of getting a "spot on" guess if you slid Kawann Short or Johnathan Cyprien up to #31, which is extremely close to where you have them anyway? Both could fill huge needs for the 49ers and have been mocked to us throughout the web. Now, maybe you disagree with the draftniks that have us picking them, but isn't it more likely than Lacy?

Johnathan Jenkins, 62: Similar question. A lot of people out there think he will be a NT target for us, yet you "slot" CB to the 49ers at 61. Again, I know you say this is not a "mock," but you take pride in hitting Culliver on the nose. Wouldn't it make more sense for you to take a shot with Jenkins at 61?

I could say the same thing about Phillip Thomas at 93/95.
Originally posted by Butter:
The more I think about Jesse Williams, the more I hope the Niners draft him as a 3-4 DE initially. I know that 40 times are not everything, but a man his size running a sup 5.00 forty is incredible. I think he has the power and speed to be a force on the edge. And if the Niners move to a nickle, he'd a great as a 4-3 DT.

Then...if they could nab Brandon Williams to compete for the NT spot...serious beef.

A future with Jesse on the edge and Brandon in the middle. It is the new Williams wall!

Williams and Williams. Catchy. Jesse played the 34 DE role in 2011, so he adds a ton of versatility.
I'm going to say take a 2nd look at my draft crush Josh Boyce.

Of all WRs, only Tavon Austin, Marquise Goodman, and Ryan Swope had better 40 times. He tied with Kenny Stills.

Out of those 5 WRs, Boyce beat them in every workout except:
-Swope had a better vertical jump (Boyce had the 2nd best out of the 5)
-Tavon Austin had a better 20-yard shuttle (Boyce had the 2nd best out of the 5)

I'm not saying drills mean everything. But Boyce is arguably the most athletic WR in the draft and had 2 solid years of production.

I know he fractured his pinky toe, but the most athletic WR in the draft going in the 7th round? Some team is going to get pretty lucky.
  • kush
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,678
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Nassib at 8 makes a ton of sense to me, as they can plug him into their program that he ran at Syracuse from Day One. Barkley I think is in for a fall. Simply does not have the physical talent as some of the guys above him. I love Okafor, and see him as a value pick in the second, I believe team needs will push him down the board. I also think Thomas is a solid value pick, but see so many CBs passing him on the board, pushing him down. Torn between seeing Williams in a higher spot. Good college player, but not sure scouts see much of an upside at the next level. As for Kruger, seeing him post a 269 lbs number at the combine is a downgrade. He is a long 6'6" player, but limits himself, with that weight as a 43 DE, and I don't see thr burst or explosion to be selected that early. I could have him too low. We will see.

You make some good points.

Nassib to the Bills does make a lot of sense and there certainly have been better QBs to fall on draft day than Barkley.

Okafor would be great value in the 2nd, as well as Thomas in the late 3rd/early 4th. Thank goodness for teams drafting for need if those two guys are around at those spots!

Kruger's combine weight did surprise/disappoint me, I thought he looked like he played around 275+ at least. I wonder if he sees himself as a 34 OLB?

Anyways, great job and bravo on what must've been a ton of hard work.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Marcus Davis isn't listed on MadDog's board as a draftable player. Since the other VaTech WR Corey Fuller is listed twice, I'll assume MD meant for one of those to be Marcus Davis since he is likely a 3rd-5th round prospect.

Don't thnk Davis will be selected. Simply doubled up on Fuller. Will be inserting Reggie Dunn into one of the Fuller slots. Late round WR with return ability and wheels.
Originally posted by kush:
You make some good points.

Nassib to the Bills does make a lot of sense and there certainly have been better QBs to fall on draft day than Barkley.

Okafor would be great value in the 2nd, as well as Thomas in the late 3rd/early 4th. Thank goodness for teams drafting for need if those two guys are around at those spots!

Kruger's combine weight did surprise/disappoint me, I thought he looked like he played around 275+ at least. I wonder if he sees himself as a 34 OLB?

Anyways, great job and bravo on what must've been a ton of hard work.

Thanks. I am already in the process of revision, which never ends,
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
This is a convoluted question so bear with me a sec...

I know you say it's not a mock and instead is just supposed to be an idea of generally where players will fall. But with that said, I know you also like to hit players in their exact slot when you can, and it's something to take pride in.

What that said, there are some placements I don't understand.

Eddy Lacy, 31: So clearly you have him "slotted" as a late 1st rounder. But there is almost a 0% he goes #31 on the nose, because that's our pick and us using a 1st on a RB would be a HUUUGE upset. Wouldn't you improve your chances of getting a "spot on" guess if you slid Kawann Short or Johnathan Cyprien up to #31, which is extremely close to where you have them anyway? Both could fill huge needs for the 49ers and have been mocked to us throughout the web. Now, maybe you disagree with the draftniks that have us picking them, but isn't it more likely than Lacy?

Johnathan Jenkins, 62: Similar question. A lot of people out there think he will be a NT target for us, yet you "slot" CB to the 49ers at 61. Again, I know you say this is not a "mock," but you take pride in hitting Culliver on the nose. Wouldn't it make more sense for you to take a shot with Jenkins at 61?

I could say the same thing about Phillip Thomas at 93/95.

I could be a little more precise with players down the board, but with so many trades, nearly a third of all team picks are going to be swapped by the time the draft concludes.
Thanks for all the hard work... this must have taken forever. I have a couple observations....

You have QBs getting picked much higher than they should. I can buy this because there are alot of QB needy teams and hence, subpar QBs will be overvalued in this draft.

You have alot of DLineman going higher than expected... Tank Carradine at 22 caught my attention since he is coming off an ACL injury, seems high. And Datone Jones at 18 seems high. Explain?

Lastly, I really think your WR rankings are way off. DaRick Rogers at 103?! Only Patterson, Austin, Hopkins, and Patton could be considered better IMO. I also think we will see more WR picked in the 2nd round. There was a big run on WRs last year in round 2, and I think this years class is deeper.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I'm going to say take a 2nd look at my draft crush Josh Boyce.

Of all WRs, only Tavon Austin, Marquise Goodman, and Ryan Swope had better 40 times. He tied with Kenny Stills.

Out of those 5 WRs, Boyce beat them in every workout except:
-Swope had a better vertical jump (Boyce had the 2nd best out of the 5)
-Tavon Austin had a better 20-yard shuttle (Boyce had the 2nd best out of the 5)

I'm not saying drills mean everything. But Boyce is arguably the most athletic WR in the draft and had 2 solid years of production.

I know he fractured his pinky toe, but the most athletic WR in the draft going in the 7th round? Some team is going to get pretty lucky.

That is clearly an error. Somehow, a number of my wide receivers got mangled on my excel spreadsheet because the last time I looked at him, he was marked about 130. Boyce is a terrific talent, productive and can fly. To me, he is a fourth founder.
I'd be really surprised if Barkley fell out of the 1st, just because of the position's intrinsic value.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Thanks for all the hard work... this must have taken forever. I have a couple observations....

You have QBs getting picked much higher than they should. I can buy this because there are alot of QB needy teams and hence, subpar QBs will be overvalued in this draft.

You have alot of DLineman going higher than expected... Tank Carradine at 22 caught my attention since he is coming off an ACL injury, seems high. And Datone Jones at 18 seems high. Explain?

Lastly, I really think your WR rankings are way off. DaRick Rogers at 103?! Only Patterson, Austin, Hopkins, and Patton could be considered better IMO. I also think we will see more WR picked in the 2nd round. There was a big run on WRs last year in round 2, and I think this years class is deeper.

Carradine will be working out a week before the draft, and I expect that he puts on a terrific show. He benched 32 times, iI believe yesterday, which is a terrific number for a DE. I think scouts are going to love the kid. Way ahead of schedule in his recovery.

Jones is a three down, versatile, troublemaking DL for offenses to deal with. He can play thr strong side DE in 43 on base downs, and come inside in passing downs. He can play the 34 DE role. He has a terrific combo of size, speed, strength. If anything, I may be undervaluing where he ends up.

According to what I am hearing tonight, Rogers had a strong workout today. I want to see the final numbers. He is one of those guy who could be a second rounder or fourth rounder. Probably splits it in the middle.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 20, 2013 at 7:23 PM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
This is a convoluted question so bear with me a sec...

I know you say it's not a mock and instead is just supposed to be an idea of generally where players will fall. But with that said, I know you also like to hit players in their exact slot when you can, and it's something to take pride in.

What that said, there are some placements I don't understand.

Eddy Lacy, 31: So clearly you have him "slotted" as a late 1st rounder. But there is almost a 0% he goes #31 on the nose, because that's our pick and us using a 1st on a RB would be a HUUUGE upset. Wouldn't you improve your chances of getting a "spot on" guess if you slid Kawann Short or Johnathan Cyprien up to #31, which is extremely close to where you have them anyway? Both could fill huge needs for the 49ers and have been mocked to us throughout the web. Now, maybe you disagree with the draftniks that have us picking them, but isn't it more likely than Lacy?

Johnathan Jenkins, 62: Similar question. A lot of people out there think he will be a NT target for us, yet you "slot" CB to the 49ers at 61. Again, I know you say this is not a "mock," but you take pride in hitting Culliver on the nose. Wouldn't it make more sense for you to take a shot with Jenkins at 61?

I could say the same thing about Phillip Thomas at 93/95.

I could be a little more precise with players down the board, but with so many trades, nearly a third of all team picks are going to be swapped by the time the draft concludes.

Cool that's fair. Thanks for the response. And thanks as always for the hard work. The draft authority on this board as far as I'm concerned.
SO based on your rankings the Niners could get:

1) Keenan Allen
2A) Jonathan Banks
2B Jonathan Jenkins
3A Jamie Collins
3B Philip Thomas

Give me those 5 and I wouldnt care about the rest of the draft