LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 425 users in the forums

MadDog's Big 254 Board

bump because I don't like page-surfing for this thread....

MD, is EJ Manuel at 30 another example of you just trying to slot players in the "general" area, or do you think the Falcons are a good candidate to trade down with a QB-needy team?

How would you feel about the 49ers taking Manuel at 34? Some would call it a weird pick with CK entrenched, but EJ looks like a backup made in heaven.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Butter:
I am intrigued by Commings, but more as a FS/ST player. I suppose they could bring him in with a late pick and see how he does.

I agree. I think he converts to safety rather soon. Most corners flirting with 220 are on borrowed time before shifting to the middle. Commings has great straightline speed, but I don't see the fluidness to compete as a starter. Special teamer..for sure.

The only thing about Commings is that he's a horrible tackler who seems completely disinterested in hitting anyone. He's got the ball skills and athleticism to play FS, but he'd have to REALLY change his mentality about tackling before he could be even marginally effective (IMO).
Maddog -- you rate corey lemonier at 94--he is one player who seems to have a vert wide range as far as evaluations of where he will fall in the draft--i have seen several publications with mocks listing him as a 1st round pick--what are your thoughts on lemonier? might he be the additional pass rusher niners maqy have been looking for last year in bruce irvin?
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:
MadDog,

Great work as usual. As a cardiologist, I have been interested in Star Lotulelei, but haven't been able to find any info since his echocardiogram a month ago showed that his ejection fraction was 44%. Unless it was misinterpreted, or something transient was going on, I don't think he will ever play football again. The fact that nothing new has been reported since then seems ominous to me. Do you have inside info on him to rank him so high?

MD...national football post has hyped up a safety from Stoney Brook named Dominick Reyes...

they say he will get drafted, might want to add him to the list
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
MadDog,

Great work as usual. As a cardiologist, I have been interested in Star Lotulelei, but haven't been able to find any info since his echocardiogram a month ago showed that his ejection fraction was 44%. Unless it was misinterpreted, or something transient was going on, I don't think he will ever play football again. The fact that nothing new has been reported since then seems ominous to me. Do you have inside info on him to rank him so high?

hahahaha "cardiologist" happened to stay at a holiday inn the night before
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Update on Star Lotulelei:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/01/star-lotulelei-gets-positive-reports-from-recent-heart-test/
Originally posted by fryet:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/01/star-lotulelei-gets-positive-reports-from-recent-heart-test/
His condition is still likely to cause him to drop in the draft, despite his size and talent. "Heart condition" is going to scare some teams away. IMO.

He's still a first rounder, but he will go to a team willing to take a risk with him, and that may not occur until the later part of the first round.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by fryet:

His condition is still likely to cause him to drop in the draft, despite his size and talent. "Heart condition" is going to scare some teams away. IMO.

He's still a first rounder, but he will go to a team willing to take a risk with him, and that may not occur until the later part of the first round.

KIlled any opportunity he had to use the combine to improve his stock. That "Virus" cost him some money...maybe not huge money like it would have 3 years ago...but still.

My guess is that he's a top 10 pick now. I think if none of this had happened he'd be a top 3-5 pick. If he hadn't been cleared, his stock could have dropped him to the 20s imo. To a man, all the teams say that the medical reports are more important than any other information they review on a player.
lol

Originally posted by iLL49er:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
MadDog,

hahahaha "cardiologist" happened to stay at a holiday inn the night before

More testing has different results. They think it was a virus now.
So Star's pro-day workout will be what people look at.

38 reps with 34" arms. That's impressive.

Not super fast though. Probably doesn't matter for a DT.
Starting to think Jamie Collins goes late in the 1st, or early 2nd. He excelled on a horrific team and lit up the combine. Some GM is gonna fall in love with the kid and trade up to get him in that range.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Starting to think Jamie Collins goes late in the 1st, or early 2nd. He excelled on a horrific team and lit up the combine. Some GM is gonna fall in love with the kid and trade up to get him in that range.

I have him at 53 on my BB. ( not that it matters, but jus sayin' )
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
bump because I don't like page-surfing for this thread....

MD, is EJ Manuel at 30 another example of you just trying to slot players in the "general" area, or do you think the Falcons are a good candidate to trade down with a QB-needy team?

How would you feel about the 49ers taking Manuel at 34? Some would call it a weird pick with CK entrenched, but EJ looks like a backup made in heaven.

Sorry. Been in a bunker the past week. I think both Manuel and Nassib get selected late in the first by a team trading up in the 30s or 40s. In fact, I think the team could deal the 31st for a first next year and an extra third this year. I'm guessing that is one scenario that they will come across. Look for the Cards, Bills, Eagles to be teams fighting to get their prospect. I have Geno Smith at 6 to the browns.

To me, Manuel at 31 or 34 doesn't make much sense, even though I have him as my top rated QB in this draft. I do see the team making a late round call for a QB. Maybe Ryan Griffin of Tulane.
Share 49ersWebzone