There are 143 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MadDog's Big 254 Board

Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Sorry. Cant do that. Mods please warn this kid. Why dont you show some respect.

Yeah go call the mods cindy brady. Show respect for who?? Some school teacher and a person who matt barrows wrote about before? WoW. Why don't you mention all the FAILED predictions he had! Like Josh Morgan being no more than a practice squad player. Lmao! "Why don't you show some respect." Yeah ok buddy if there was someone who warranted respect. Go cry about it.
Originally posted by BleedRednGold:

Yeah go call the mods cindy brady. Show respect for who?? Some school teacher and a person who matt barrows wrote about before? WoW. Why don't you mention all the FAILED predictions he had! Like Josh Morgan being no more than a practice squad player. Lmao! "Why don't you show some respect." Yeah ok buddy if there was someone who warranted respect. Go cry about it.

If you could recommend some draft analysts you like, I've love to check them out. Always trying to broaden my knowledge base, and you're surprisingly negative on MD.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
When you watch Short, can you not see a bit of a 3-4 1 gap NT in him ?

Thoughts on this sudden emergence of CB D.J. Hayden ? looks like you have him at 147.. so not buying the hype ?

Why you no love Jordan Poyer as I do ?

As for Poyer, it seems like he has become the forgotten CB in this draft. I consider him the best pure cover corner in the draft, but his speed/strength numbers have been depressing this offseason. Running a 4.54 is pretty mediocre, pushing the bar up 8 times at the combine was bad (he did improve to 11 at his Pro Day), but the 30 inch vertical at the combine followed with a 28 inch at the Pro Day, those are flat out bad numbers.

It could be the lingering effects of his knee injury, but in a very deep corner class, to me he is sitting deeply behind many others. I have him as an early 3rd rounder right now.

Not trying at all to change your mind. I just scrunched up my face trying to understand what seems to me a contradiction from bold 1 + bold 2. I usually enjoy the "numbers" from the drills and measurements... but I won't knock the guy down for 40 technique vs game film.

And, back on subject ......
MadDog,

Great work as usual. As a cardiologist, I have been interested in Star Lotulelei, but haven't been able to find any info since his echocardiogram a month ago showed that his ejection fraction was 44%. Unless it was misinterpreted, or something transient was going on, I don't think he will ever play football again. The fact that nothing new has been reported since then seems ominous to me. Do you have inside info on him to rank him so high?
MadDog:
"As for Poyer, it seems like he has become the forgotten CB in this draft. I consider him the best pure cover corner in the draft, but his speed/strength numbers have been depressing this offseason. Running a 4.54 is pretty mediocre, pushing the bar up 8 times at the combine was bad (he did improve to 11 at his Pro Day), but the 30 inch vertical at the combine followed with a 28 inch at the Pro Day, those are flat out bad numbers.

It could be the lingering effects of his knee injury, but in a very deep corner class, to me he is sitting deeply behind many others. I have him as an early 3rd rounder right now."

Watching Poyer against Texas in the bowl game confirmed this to me. He has great instincts but his lack of speed caused him some trouble against UT's fast guys.
Assuming Nnamdi signs and Culliver goes to FS
Trade picks #157, 164, 180, 227, 237 for 2014 selections

31 EJ Manuel, QB
34 DeAndre Hopkins, WR
61 John Jenkins, NT
74 David Amerson, CB (6'3")
93 Travis Kelse, TE
128 Brandon McGee, (4.40, 7th fastest CB [Slay, 1st at 4.36)]
131 Dallas Thomas, OT
246 Courtney Gardner, WR, 6-3, 220, (Sierra College, my alma mater and 49ers summer camp during the SB years)
254 Cody Davis, S
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Mar 25, 2013 at 12:03 PM ]
Originally posted by hofer36:
hey maddog---it appears by niners pursuit of ashomagua that ballke and harbaugh want a cornerback with some size.....

assuming that they wait till rounds 3-5 to get one, who do you like better, tharold simon of lsu or sanders commings of georgia?

Probably Commings, although I want to make sure he is a good citizen. Prior record needs investigation by the team. Not enthusiastic about either prospect

since niners seem to be intent on getting a big cornerback, are there other prospects who fit the bill of a big cornerback that you like better (presumably xavier rhodes, anyone else?)
hey maddog---it appears by niners pursuit of ashomagua that ballke and harbaugh want a cornerback with some size.....

assuming that they wait till rounds 3-5 to get one, who do you like better, tharold simon of lsu or sanders commings of georgia?

Probably Commings, although I want to make sure he is a good citizen. Prior record needs investigation by the team. Not enthusiastic about either prospect

since niners seem to be intent on getting a big cornerback, are there other prospects who fit the bill of a big cornerback that you like better (presumably xavier rhodes, anyone else?)

I am intrigued by Commings, but more as a FS/ST player. I suppose they could bring him in with a late pick and see how he does.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Buck is right that Nick Williams was listed at the combine at 6'4 1/2, 309. I was impressed that he put up 28 reps with the long arms. To me, since he carries his frame so well, this is a guy who could put on a few pounds. He is versatile enough to play a 1 gap 34 NT, a 43 DT, or 34 DE. You are right about his quickness. Running a sub 5.00 at 300+ pounds is a terrific feat. I project him higher than most people since I believe his versatility pushes his stock up.

You have him, if I am correct, going in the fifth round. I think that is about right.

Some other considerations, he graduated, or at least was scheduled to graduate, in December.

He is somewhat raw. In high school, he played more basketball than footbal. He only played 1 year of high school football.

He is young. He will be a 23 year old rookie. which means there will be time to develop him.

In two years, he could be an excellent starter at 3-4 defensive end.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 25, 2013 at 3:18 PM ]
So you scouting for any nfl team yet maddog? Oh you're not? That's right cause you know only 2 things...jack and s**t! Go do something productive with your time other than scouting out potential nfl players and NOT getting paid for it.

Lash out much?
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
MadDoggggggggggggggggg,

Leaving Eifert and Ertz out of the conversation. How do you feel about Escobar, Kelce and Sims......as far as fitting with the Niners. I've heard we have met with Escobar and Kelce but haven't heard anything on Sims.

I think Kelce is the most dynamic of the three, and he is the second best TE on my board after Eifert. Great size and speed combo and a pretty good blocker as well. He is going to be great value for a team as long as he stays clean. Kelce, along with Sims, will be off some team's board due to off the field issues. I love the player and he may end up a late 3rd due to character concerns.

Sims is a terrific blocker and is going through a physical transformation from being a stocky, out of shape TE to a leaner, more athletic player. Excellent blocker. Least dynamic of the three.To me, he is going to need a year, at least, to make a solid contribution. Very good Pro Day from all reports.

Escober has that big catch radius, and has been the focus point of an offense before. He will be ready from Day One and be a major contributor.
Not trying at all to change your mind. I just scrunched up my face trying to understand what seems to me a contradiction from bold 1 + bold 2. I usually enjoy the "numbers" from the drills and measurements... but I won't knock the guy down for 40 technique vs game film.

Don't get me wrong. To me, I think he holds more value than what others will ultimately decide on the second day of the draft. As stated, this is a very competitive CB class, and some may see limited athleticism is limited upside to his game. The vertical number under 30 is flat out horrid, and even though he scoots well on the ground, GM's may see a lack of athleticism in competing for balls in the air.

For me, I don't see him as a fiesty corner, a scrapper like Trufant. Pryor is silky smooth in his movements.

Don't get me wrong. To me, I think he holds more value than what others will ultimately decide on the second day of the draft. As stated, this is a very competitive CB class, and some may see limited athleticism is limited upside to his game. The vertical number under 30 is flat out horrid, and even though he scoots well on the ground, GM's may see a lack of athleticism in competing for balls in the air.

For me, I don't see him as a fiesty corner, a scrapper like Trufant. Pryor is silky smooth in his movements.

Yeah, that makes sense. I should have made that distinction.

I really like the sub 6' crowd in this corner draft much more than the 6'+ crowd, led by Milliner and Trufant (who posted a shade under 72 inches. Give me Alford, McFadden, Hayden, Webb. I'll take them any day over Simon, Amerson, etc.

That being said, I think Banks will emerge as a pretty decent player when this all shakes out. He had a rough Combine, but played against some terrific SEC receivers and held up pretty well.