LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 217 users in the forums

ATG's STARtling Mock

Finally, after a long delay the site is back up running and I can post this.

The premise of this mock is to explore a hypothetical draft day scenario where a stud talent, oh let's say Star Lotulelei starts to slip in the draft and due to our bounty of draft picks we are able to make a dramatic move up and grab him. There are 4 trades in this mock, all of which are conveniently located at the top.

Trade 1: 49ers tradea 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (#31, #61 and #93) in exchange for #13 overall.
Trade 2: 49ers trade #34 for #40 and #104 (4th round)
Trade 3: 49ers trade 2 4ths (#104 and #128) for a late 3rd (#90).
Trade 4: 49ers trade 5th (#164) for a 2014 4th rounder.

If you think the trades are unrealistic and I'm just a delusional homer feel free to let me know (as I'm sure you will) and I will be happy to engage in a scintillating discourse with those who present their arguments in an intelligent and respectful manner.

#13 Star Lutolelei DT Utah 6'2.5" 311 SR

Can immediately contribute to our D-line rotation while learning from the best D-line coach in the NFL and getting inspired by one of the hardest working players in the business. How awesome would it be if we could grab him? The rest of the league will be quaking in their boots.

San Francisco Dreaming...

#40 Jonathan Cyprien S Florida International 6'0" 217 SR

Yeah he needs to tighten up his tackling technique and learn not to lead with his head but that's what we have coaches for. You can't teach athleticism, instincts and a nose for the football, and Cyprien has that in droves.

He's also great with children. Is there anything this guy can't do?

#74 Corey Lemonier DE/OLB Auburn 6'3" 255 JR

Yeah I know we already have Brooks and Aldon. But I'm also a firm believer that you can never have enough pass rushers. Now we can give our horses the rest they need to keep fresh without suffering a drop-off in pass rush.

Will also add a much needed fashion sense to our linebacker corps.

#90 Travis Kelce TE Cincinnati 6'5" 255 SR

The only guy present in all 3 of my mocks so far. What can I say I really like this dude.

He definitely has a unique way of carrying the football. Not sure how well it will translate to the next level...

#131 Jordan Mills OT Louisiana Tech 6'5" 316 SR

This guy can be our new swing tackle and insurance in case we can't afford to resign Anthony Davis.

Who says the big guys can't look good in tights?

#157 Tharold Simon CB LSU 6'2" 202 JR

We've expressed a lot of interest in tall corners this offseason. This guy certainly has the length and can move like a much smaller man. He's a very raw player and needs a lot of work on his technique but has the talent to start eventually and we can afford to stash him on the bench and let him develop.

I'm glad he survived the Great UOregon Zombie Apocalypse!

#164 *Traded for 2014 4th round pick*

I originally had Dustin Hopkins in this spot but then I saw we signed Phil Dawson so I'll leave you instead with a pic of a hot Florida St. girl.

You're welcome.

#180 Zac Dysert QB Miami (Ohio) 6'3" 231

He has NFL QB tools but is extremely inconsistent and will need a lot of work. Luckily for us we have the quarterback whisperer himself in Jim Harbaugh riding in to the rescue.

Haters gonna hate...

#227 Marquess Wilson WR Washington St. 6'2.5" 194

With our depth, now is the time to start taking shots on talented players with huge question marks. Draft him, bring him into camp and have him compete. If he doesn't work out we cut him with no big loss. He has starter potential if his head is screwed on straight though. (He could very well go earlier if a team feels good about his character/makeup.)

The same look he'll have the first time he gets cussed out by Coach Morton after running the wrong route.

#237 Marcus Davis WR Virginia Tech 6'2.5" 233

We had a lot of success with a late round Hokie wideout who had consistency and refinement issues but could jump through the roof. Davis is taller and heavier than Morgan, but I see a lot of similarities between the two. Bring him in to camp and see if he has what it takes.

...if you want it then you should've put a ring on it...

#246 Rex Burkhead RB Nebraska 5'10" 214

This guy is the prototypical Harbaugh grinder. I think Dixon is the type of player who needs to be constantly pushed to stay motivated and Burkhead would be a perfect guy to bring in to compete. There we go with that word compete again. Ugh I'm stating to talk like Harbaalke.

This guy's a 7th rounder. Were you really expecting him to be good?

#252 Jared Smith DT New Hampshire 6'3" 302

Small school guy. Don't know much about him besides him having prototypical height-weight numbers for the 3-4 DE position. Bring him in, have him...wait for it...compete for a spot and maybe make it on the practice squad.

Good Lord we have a lot of draft picks! I've run out of caption ideas.

UDFA's

Eric Rogers WR Cal Lutheran 6'3" 206

DIII guy with NFL size and athleticism. 4.50 40, 37 inch Vert, 6.89 3-cone. Plus the 49ers were one of 11 teams in attendance for his pro-day.

Lucas Reed TE New Mexico 6'5.5" 249

Brother of 2011 2nd round pick Brooks Reed. Has good size, a 37" vertical, and over 35" per arm but still managed 27 reps. Nice developmental prospect.

Manase Foketi OT/OG West Texas A&M 6'5" 318

Started at Kansas St. before getting injured and then transferred this year to a small school. Has some character concerns due to his departure from KState but no question that he has talent.

Well that's all for now folks and if you don't like my mock well I have only one thing to say to you...

"Hey 33...tell me how my ass tastes"
[ Edited by AllTimeGreat on Mar 20, 2013 at 12:45 AM ]
dont mind trading up

but not for a guy with a medical red flag/ heart condition (i.e sam bradford)

Before someone throws Frank Gores name out there - He was a 3rd rounder, not a player we traded the farm for.
I like Lotuleiei, but if I trade up with 1st, 2nd and 3rd rd picks It's for Kenny Vaccaro.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I like Lotuleiei, but if I trade up with 1st, 2nd and 3rd rd picks It's for Kenny Vaccaro.
I'm not the biggest fan personally. I see more Michael Huff in him than Earl Thomas (to compare Texas safeties). Not a bad player but not anyone worth trading up for.
I would be ok for the move for Star, and like the Burkhead pick, but would be unhappy with some of the other pics. QB is a waste of a pick, Thomas would be a better pick tan Cyprien IMO, Need CB sooner, ETC.
Solid mock! I'd love this
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Wouldn't take that much for he Texas safety. With the talent in this draft somebody very good is going to slip through the cracks. Maybe the Rams go with Vaccaro with their first, first rounder. If he slips through the Rams he could be in the 49ers wheel house.
WOW!

Lots to tink about. Giving up a lot for Star - a real big gamble.

I've been toying w/the idea of trading up for Shelson Richardson.

Very good picks on your part.
Too much to give up...when you consider the best group of talent (per most experts) is between picks 20-70. We already have 4 picks in that range (counting our #74)...if Baalke's going to trade up, I could much more easily see him doing it in the 2nd or 3rd rds, to not only take advantage of that talent pool, but also be able to use his later rd picks to make his moves. By standing pat at #31, Baalke could arguably land one of the Williams'...both of whom can play DE, DT or NT. Agree Cyprien's a beast, but is considered to be a SS in the NFL. Instead, I'd take one of the top CB's or S at #34. If Elam's still around, he'd be my guy. If not, take a CB like Jamar Taylor, then grab FS Phillip Thomas at #61. I like most of the other picks...in particular, Marcus Davis. He has a chance to become Walker's replacement.

Enjoyed this. You should get a prize for most creative mock

Star

Cyprien

Kelce

Tharold
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I would be ok for the move for Star, and like the Burkhead pick, but would be unhappy with some of the other pics. QB is a waste of a pick, Thomas would be a better pick tan Cyprien IMO, Need CB sooner, ETC.
Appreciate the feedback. I don't think QB is a wasted pick especially in the 6th round. Right now we only have 2 QBs on the roster and we all know how much Harbaugh loves competition. Would rather spend a 6th round pick to develop a backup under one of the best QB gurus in the league than to spend money on a veteran FA/known commodity.

As for Cyprien vs. Thomas, since I'm not a scout the only things I have to rely on is scouting reports and the opinions of others. And the general consensus is that Cyprien is a better safety prospect.

As for CB, I considered drafting one in the 3rd round but I really think that in today's NFL pass rush is paramount. If we can consistently get pressure with 4 guys, we don't need to have elite cover corners and safeties. Unless you're a shutdown corner (and those are an incredibly rare breed), given enough time any NFL starting-caliber QB will be able to pick your defense apart. And right now, outside of Aldon and Brooks we lack a passrusher who can provide a consistent pass rush in case one of them goes down. And even without injury it's still important to give them occasional rest because our front 7 looked really worn down by the end of the year from playing so many snaps.

Basically, pass rush can cover a multitude of sins in the secondary and another pass rusher is a much bigger need imo than another safety.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Too much to give up...when you consider the best group of talent (per most experts) is between picks 20-70. We already have 4 picks in that range (counting our #74)...if Baalke's going to trade up, I could much more easily see him doing it in the 2nd or 3rd rds, to not only take advantage of that talent pool, but also be able to use his later rd picks to make his moves. By standing pat at #31, Baalke could arguably land one of the Williams'...both of whom can play DE, DT or NT. Agree Cyprien's a beast, but is considered to be a SS in the NFL. Instead, I'd take one of the top CB's or S at #34. If Elam's still around, he'd be my guy. If not, take a CB like Jamar Taylor, then grab FS Phillip Thomas at #61. I like most of the other picks...in particular, Marcus Davis. He has a chance to become Walker's replacement.
I certainly don't think the second to last pick in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds are too much to move up and get Lotulelei IF you believe he can be an impact player for years to come on the D-line. We all know how important Justin Smith is to our D and if we have a chance to secure a dominant D-line force for the next decade we have to take it.

Whether you think Star can be that guy or not is a different story. I certainly do.
Originally posted by smithc28:
Enjoyed this. You should get a prize for most creative mock

Star

Cyprien

Kelce

Tharold

Thanks I'm glad you were entertained! I certainly had fun making this.
Share 49ersWebzone