There are 332 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Cooper Mock Draft 5.0

Free Agency: (Bold is Confirmed). Sign: Glenn Dorsey (2 years), Craig Dahl (3 years), Anquan Boldin (1 year), Dan Skuta (2 years), Josh Johnson (1 year)
Not Resign/Cut: Dashon Goldson, Ricky Jean-Francois, Isaac Sopoaga, David Akers, Randy Moss, Alex Smith, Ted Ginn, Carlos Rogers, Tramaine Brock

Draft:

1. Datone Jones DE UCLA 6-4, 280.
Physically gifted, versatile, passionate, hard-working, nonstop motor.. Sound Familiar? We get Justin Smith's heir.


2a. Johnthan Banks CB Miss. State 6-2, 185
Big, physical corner who falls just out of the first round due to a below average 40 time.. Instant upgrade over Rogers IMO and would immediately start with Brown and Culliver..


2b. Phillip Thomas FS Fresno State 6-1, 208
Ball hawking safety, aka our biggest need.. Much better in pass coverage than Goldson. Thomas is an interception machine and would start right away.


3a. Tyrann Mathieu CB LSU 5-9, 186
We get the honey badger.. Our counter to the Hawks getting Harvin.. Mathieu can compete for the slot corner position right away and due to his versatility, can be an extra defensive back on passing downs. Also, will definitely be a top candidate for the punt returning job..


3b. Ryan Swope WR Texas A&M 6-0, 205
Tough, hard working receiver who would be a great fit in our offense.. Very smart receiver and has surprising quickness..


3c. (Comp.) Marcus Lattimore RB South Carolina 5-11 221
Best RB in this draft by far. Will be the future work horse in our offense once Frank retires, as Lattimore will sit out next season anyway.. Good all around running back and I don't think Hunter or LMJ are the types of backs that can handle a full load.. But they can come is as great game changers.


4. Sio Moore LB UConn 6-1, 245
Probably the most versatile linebacker in the entire draft.. Can line up anywhere and just make plays. Very good in pass coverage as well as against the run. IMO, can play outside linebacker in the 3-4 and can provide a good pass rush.


5a. Kenny Stills WR Oklahoma 6-1 194
One of the smoothest receivers in the draft with sneaky speed.. Extremely confident and has the game to back it up.. Also is a hard worker and great leader, who loves to block and has NFL bloodlines..


5b. Duke Williams SS Nevada 5-11 201
Physical safety who is great against the run, with good tackling ability, as well as the ability to make the big hit.. Has good speed to close down and has good pass coverage ability that would be an immediate upgrade over Whitner's.. This may make Whitner expendable, but I'm not sure how the coaching staff would feel about starting 2 rookie safeties (assuming Thomas starts)..


6. Ricky Wagner OT Wisconsin 6-6 308
Massive O-lineman who was originally a walk on at Wisconsin.. Provides depth, as I would like Boone to focus on Guard and not worry about being a backup swing tackle..


7a. Caleb Sturgis K Florida 5-10 188
Arguably the best kicker in the draft..


7b. Ryan Griffin TE UConn 6-6 254
Big tight end who is quick for his size and has the ability and toughness to go up and make the tough catch.. Gives great effort on every play and is a relentless blocker.. My favorite late round -UFA sleeper with our need at TE..



That's 12 players drafted and I know that's a lot considering our stacked roster.. But I believe all of these guys have a really good chance of making the team and even pushing us to cut a couple more of our veterans

[ Edited by Cooper22 on Mar 17, 2013 at 1:59 PM ]
Interesting draft, but if we get Nnamdi and Woodson, it would be somewhat of a waste to get 4 defensive backs in the draft (Williams, P. Thomas, Mathieu, Banks). I realize Nnamdi and Woodson would be our short-term plan but I'd rather focus on other needs, such as D-Line depth and tight end. We all know Brown and Rogers are solid CBs, but most fans don't realize Chris Culliver was, according to Pro Football Focus, the best CB in the league at not allowing TD's/first downs, allowing only 17 combined TDs/first downs on a total of 493 snaps for a league-leading percentage of 3.45%. Now, I'm not suggesting he's the best corner in the league as he's clearly not (look @ the playoffs for instance), but then again you have to realize that he's in some pretty impressive company. Grading out the top 15 in terms of TD/first down percentage includes guys like Leon Hall, Champ Bailey, Richard Sherman, Casey Hayward, Antonio Cromartie, Kareem Jackson, and Brandon Browner. Basically, what I'm getting at is I don't think that CB is a glaring need for us. Other than that, this is a pretty realistic draft that fills most, but not all, of our needs.
Strong mock. Would rather go for another d lineman over two WR's but that's just me. Would also actually switch the draft slots of Moore and Mathieu. That is more realistic. Niners can't trade comp picks, so they should have two more choices in the 7th round.
Originally posted by rodgerscomehome:
Interesting draft, but if we get Nnamdi and Woodson, it would be somewhat of a waste to get 4 defensive backs in the draft (Williams, P. Thomas, Mathieu, Banks). I realize Nnamdi and Woodson would be our short-term plan but I'd rather focus on other needs, such as D-Line depth and tight end. We all know Brown and Rogers are solid CBs, but most fans don't realize Chris Culliver was, according to Pro Football Focus, the best CB in the league at not allowing TD's/first downs, allowing only 17 combined TDs/first downs on a total of 493 snaps for a league-leading percentage of 3.45%. Now, I'm not suggesting he's the best corner in the league as he's clearly not (look @ the playoffs for instance), but then again you have to realize that he's in some pretty impressive company. Grading out the top 15 in terms of TD/first down percentage includes guys like Leon Hall, Champ Bailey, Richard Sherman, Casey Hayward, Antonio Cromartie, Kareem Jackson, and Brandon Browner. Basically, what I'm getting at is I don't think that CB is a glaring need for us. Other than that, this is a pretty realistic draft that fills most, but not all, of our needs.


Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Strong mock. Would rather go for another d lineman over two WR's but that's just me. Would also actually switch the draft slots of Moore and Mathieu. That is more realistic. Niners can't trade comp picks, so they should have two more choices in the 7th round.

I think I went a little over board with the d backs, but I still think it's our biggest need and both safety positions should be upgraded through the draft or free agency.

As for D-line, I think Jones, Dobbs, and Tukuafu can provide good depth at the end positions, and Dorsey and Williams at NT..

Also, I'm really high on Griffin at TE and think he can be a number 2 right away..

As for receivers, I'm a fan of having a plethora of receivers going into training camp and may the best man win.. Always seems we lack good receiver depth come playoff time..

Edit: took out nnamdi and woodson.. Don't need them with this draft
[ Edited by Cooper22 on Mar 17, 2013 at 1:59 PM ]
Eliminate a 6th round pick, that was traded for Boldin. Other wise solid mock.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Eliminate a 6th round pick, that was traded for Boldin. Other wise solid mock.

Forgot about that, thanks.
Love the Banks pick, he returns punts too.Slow 40 time could push him right to us.

Phillip Thomas doesn't seem like a 49er type safety.
My favorite mock so far. I love the first 5 picks
Originally posted by 49ersGiants7:
Love the Banks pick, he returns punts too.Slow 40 time could push him right to us.

Phillip Thomas doesn't seem like a 49er type safety.

49er type safeties have failed in big games against teams with a good vertical passing game.. Time to change the culture and the first step was letting Goldson walk.. Next step is Whitner.. Both were below average in pass coverage and had very little ball skills.
good draft but those receivers seem a lot like the ones we already have.
Originally posted by Mann716:
good draft but those receivers seem a lot like the ones we already have.

Ehh idk.. Our 2 surefire starters next year are Crabtree and Boldin who are both bigger and stronger receivers that lack elite speed.. Both Stills and Swope have 4.3 speed along with toughness and ability to stretch the field.. Both are underrated IMO
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,049
I agree with the position at 1st pick and have no argument with D. Jones.

I'm fine with 2a, but if Nnamdi decides on Niners, then I would rather see either (WR) Deandre Hopkins or Da'Rick Rogers. I doubt they'll still be there, but if Baalke can move up, that would be nice if either one falls to us.

2b Phillip Thomas - cool pick!

With 3a/3b/3c, I'd like to snag, if still there, (NT) TJ Barnes... BPA at (TE) position... and, if still there Honeybadger or another DB.

4 - Sio Moore... that sounds good!

5a/5b - I want to see a kicker and wouldn't mind Ricky Wagner (if still there).

I really don't mind if the Niners just trade the rest of the picks for a higher draft pick(s) this year or next year.
[ Edited by LVJay on Mar 17, 2013 at 3:16 PM ]
This is my favorite mock so far. Phillip Thomas is my favorite safety in this class and I'd love to see him in San Fran!
Bravo sir....my favorite mock all year.
I like the first 3 picks then i would start making changes. I would not draft 2 CB and 2 saftys I would not draft a RB in the third. I do understand that gore is not going to play forever and he has 1 or 2 more years. still maybe draft a RB next year, not this year.