There are 120 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2014 Draft Target: Jerry Rice's Cousin Jordan Matthews

• DeUh
Originally posted by xcfan:
he's got some nice, random measureables but, on-the-hoof, and by nfl standards, he's not a great athlete and will struggle mightily against nfl cbs. don't expect anything like his college production. as an all-around athlete, he's just a bit better than heyward-bey.

Who is your NFL standard you are referring to ? Megatron ? No hard feelings if you dont like him dude. But that statement is ridiculous !

Jordan Matthews 6´3" 212
40 Yrd Dash 4.46
Bench 21 reps
Vertical 35.5"
Broad 10'
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.18
3-Cone Drill 6.95

A.J. Green 6`4 211
40 Yrd Dash 4.48
Bench 18 reps
Vertical 34.5"
Broad 10´06"
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.21
3-Cone Drill 6.91

Dez Bryant 6´2" 224
40 Yrd Dash 4.52
Bench 14 reps
Vertical 38"
Broad 11´01"
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.46
3-Cone Drill 7.10

Hakeem Nicks 6´1" 212
40 Yrd Dash 4.51
Bench N/A
Vertical 36"
Broad N/A
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.43
3-Cone Drill 6.96

Dwayne Bowe 6´2" 221
40 Yrd Dash 4.51
Bench N/A
Vertical 33"
Broad 10´05"
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.35
3-Cone Drill 6.81

Pierre Garcon 6´0" 210
40 Yrd Dash 4.42
Bench 20 reps
Vertical 36.5"
Broad 10´05"
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.19
3-Cone Drill 6.90

Josh Gordon 6´3" 224
40 Yrd Dash 4.52
Bench N/A
Vertical 36"
Broad 10´1"
20 Yrd Shuttle N/A
3-Cone Drill N/A

Sammy Watkins 6´1" 211
40 Yrd Dash 4.43
Bench 16 reps
Vertical 34"
Broad 10´6"
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.34
3-Cone Drill 6.95

You definitely have a point LOL
[ Edited by DeUh on Mar 26, 2014 at 7:41 AM ]
Well we can agree to disagree
Matthews was the lone target in an SEC offense and yet he still produced huge numbers
Every team knew he was getting the ball, yet he still produced
And with the ball in his hands, he never got caught from behind
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Matthews was the lone target in an SEC offense and yet he still produced huge numbers

Okay man, I gotta call you on the never got caught from behind thing. If you watch his highlight videos he is more frequently than not caught from behind. That is why I feel Moncrief is the better fit for this team, we already have two receivers that are posession receivers. Just hit YouTube and watch the highlights for both and you will see Moncrief is better at getting open and is caught from behind much less frequently. This is not a condemnation of Matthews, I think he'll do fine in the NFL, this is just a fact.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Okay man, I gotta call you on the never got caught from behind thing. If you watch his highlight videos he is more frequently than not caught from behind. That is why I feel Moncrief is the better fit for this team, we already have two receivers that are posession receivers. Just hit YouTube and watch the highlights for both and you will see Moncrief is better at getting open and is caught from behind much less frequently. This is not a condemnation of Matthews, I think he'll do fine in the NFL, this is just a fact.

I agree with you on the never got caught from behind. Never makes the claim next to impossible.

However, using YouTube highlights to evaluate a player seems to be a bit of a stretch---maybe like using his mother to determine the character of the player.

[ Edited by buck on Mar 28, 2014 at 6:36 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:
I agree with you on the never got caught from behind. Never makes the claim next to impossible.

However, using YouTube highlights to evaluate a player seems to be a bit of a stretch---maybe like using his mother to determine the character of the player.

Don't you think that if the guy was infrequently caught from behind there'd be evidence of that on his highlight reel? I watch a lot of SEC games by the way and am very familiar with both guys. Hell here in Memphis all we get is Ole Miss and Vandy games due to our location. I've seen both guys play more than twenty times conservatively, probably more. The YouTube highlights have all of their outstanding plays and clearly illustrates the point I was trying to make about Solidg's hyperbolic claim.
[ Edited by Memphis9er on Mar 28, 2014 at 7:12 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Don't you think that if the guy was infrequently caught from behind there'd be evidence of that on his highlight reel? I watch a lot of SEC games by the way and am very familiar with both guys. Hell here in Memphis all we get is Ole Miss and Vandy games due to our location. I've seen both guys play more than twenty times conservatively, probably more. The YouTube highlights have all of their outstanding plays and clearly illustrates the point I was trying to make about Solidg's hyperbolic claim.

I do not get college games.

I do not trust You Tube highlights; I have no way of confirming their accuracy.

You watch the games. If you say that the You Tube high lights are accurate, I will take your word on the points you raised.

And yes the claim was hyperbole.
Even after his pro day, he started the interview by praising his teammates and promoting them. He says all the right things and seems to be a team first player, which is rare for a wide receiver. I just like everything that he brings.
[ Edited by birdie2bogey on Mar 28, 2014 at 8:50 AM ]
Originally posted by birdie2bogey:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
With Bethea signed I can cross out Pryor, Clinton-Dix, and Ward off my wish list. I'll take Verrett, Matthews and worst case Beckham or Fuller as my 4 favorites for 30.

Agreed. Matthews tops my list of players I want. I would still be happy if they traded up in the first to take him. I just want him in a Niner uniform.

f**k yes!!!

I won't be mad at this pick at 30.
Fortunately, this WR draft class is deep and talented. I like Matthews a lot...his body of work is ultra-impressive. I think he may be the most NFL-ready WR. There's a lot to like about Moncrief, Adams, Evans, et al, but realistically unless Baalke trades up signficantly, Matthews could be the guy Baalke takes early on. A number of "experts" thought he wasn't fast enough, but his 4.46 time should have quieted those concerns.
Originally posted by birdie2bogey:
Even after his pro day, he started the interview by praising his teammates and promoting them. He says all the right things and seems to be a team first player, which is rare for a wide receiver. I just like everything that he brings.

There's an awful lot to like about the kid, he's got great hands, a big catch radius, intelligence and he fights for the ball. The only reason I like Moncrief better for our team is his ability to stretch the feild. I wouldn't be pissed at all if he ended up a niner.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Fortunately, this WR draft class is deep and talented. I like Matthews a lot...his body of work is ultra-impressive. I think he may be the most NFL-ready WR. There's a lot to like about Moncrief, Adams, Evans, et al, but realistically unless Baalke trades up signficantly, Matthews could be the guy Baalke takes early on. A number of "experts" thought he wasn't fast enough, but his 4.46 time should have quieted those concerns.
In all honesty, he does not play that fast. If you got to see him play as often as I did, you'd notice he lacks breakaway speed. He is gonna be a very good possession receiver though, I'd bet money on it.
take him if you notice he can play inside and outside , we need a player to stretch the field
  • DeUh
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

Now those "experts" say that his 40 time does not translate to the field.

Also yes we have Crabtree and Boldin now. That does not change the fact that we should draft their replacement this year. I would like to see another receiver besides Matthews in this draft who is able to go over the middle like this.

Maybe Davante Adams, Mike Evans or Cody Latimer. Definitely not Moncrief.

If people like Moncrief as a deep threat that is ok. But the way our offense works at this point he is no replacement for Crabtree or Boldin.
[ Edited by DeUh on Mar 28, 2014 at 10:30 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:

I do not get college games.

I do not trust You Tube highlights; I have no way of confirming their accuracy.

You watch the games. If you say that the You Tube high lights are accurate, I will take your word on the points you raised.

And yes the claim was hyperbole.

There's highlights and there's cut ups. I've seen them all, but can you show me him getting caught from behind
Originally posted by xcfan:
I hope you're joking...
If 1,400 yards is forgettable, I'll take forgettable every year!
I understand people wanting Moncreif instead due to potential and his speed that we lack
But to say Matthews is a late 3rd-mid 4th is ridiculous. This guy is a 1st round pick in any of the last 10 year drafts.
This draft is just ridiculously stacked up top, and he's still considered a possible 1st.

he's got some nice, random measureables but, on-the-hoof, and by nfl standards, he's not a great athlete and will struggle mightily against nfl cbs. don't expect anything like his college production. as an all-around athlete, he's just a bit better than heyward-bey.

that cracks me up cuz they don't compare to each other AT ALL. DHB was always known as just a speed guy. extremely raw with inconsistent hands and lack of knowledge on the route tree. Matthews is the exact opposite, already being considered as a guy that's close to reaching his ceiling, and has VERY good hands.