There are 358 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2014 Draft Target: Jerry Rice's Cousin Jordan Matthews

Originally posted by solidg2000:
You don't need a speedster
The best WR tandem in the NFL today is Jeffreys and Marshall. Both run 4.5s

Agreed. I don't know why people say we need a speed receiver. If someone else drafts Matthews and we get a so called "speed guy", what will people be saying if Matthews puts up significantly better numbers than our "speed guy" during their rookie year?. Draft the best player available IMO.
Originally posted by king_diagram:
Originally posted by solidg2000:
You don't need a speedster
The best WR tandem in the NFL today is Jeffreys and Marshall. Both run 4.5s

Agreed. I don't know why people say we need a speed receiver. If someone else drafts Matthews and we get a so called "speed guy", what will people be saying if Matthews puts up significantly better numbers than our "speed guy" during their rookie year?. Draft the best player available IMO.

Why do people think we can't do both? Is there some rule that states you can only draft one receiver per draft? The speedsters I believe we should target will be available after we pick up a guy like Matthews or Landry. Get one of those two with one of our seconds and then pick up the deep threat in the third or later.

The fast guys only add another element to our offense that is lacking. The ability to take it to the house and score from any point on the field, at any time. It would be great to have a player that adds something different to the team. I think Patton or Matthews easily can be starters on our team. The deep threat would be a nice role player that can also open up things for everyone else.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Feb 12, 2014 at 5:53 PM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Why do people think we can't do both? Is there some rule that states you can only draft one receiver per draft? The speedsters I believe we should target will be available after we pick up a guy like Matthews or Landry. Get one of those two with one of our seconds and then pick up the deep threat in the third or later.

The fast guys only add another element to our offense that is lacking. The ability to take it to the house and score from any point on the field, at any time. It would be great to have a player that adds something different to the team. I think Patton or Matthews easily can be starters on our team. The deep threat would be a nice role player that can also open up things for everyone else.

Hopefully that is Baalke's plan. Get a guy to groom and back up Boldin and Crabtree, while adding a speed guy in the later rounds that is not going to see the field too often.
I think the problem is
People that want players like JM wouldn't mind both
People who want a speedy guy, only want a speedy guy
Define speed...there is track speed without pads and there is football speed where pads and techniques and knowledge is key to helping you be fast
Originally posted by solidg2000:
I think the problem is
People that want players like JM wouldn't mind both
People who want a speedy guy, only want a speedy guy

From what I've read here, it goes both ways. The anti-speed guys argument is that we need big, physical receivers to match Seattle (as if we don't have physical receivers already) and that a small fast guy will get dominated at the line of scrimmage. The anti-JM type receivers think we need to only draft speed guys, not thinking longterm about replacing Boldin and possibly Crabtree in 2015 and beyond. Then there is a small crew, totally unrealistic, that wants us to essentially trade our entire draft to get a guy like Sammy Watkins. I just wish more fans would realize we have 12 or 13 picks, and 6 of those will be in the first three rounds. We could conceivably draft 3 receivers if it came down to it and still address all of our other needs.
Can you say...fast? Seems many underestimated this guys speed. I know, some will say it's game speed not 40 time...but if he has been incredibly productive and he runs a 4.4 40...is this really still a question?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Can you say...fast? Seems many underestimated this guys speed. I know, some will say it's game speed not 40 time...but if he has been incredibly productive and he runs a 4.4 40...is this really still a question?

Not at all. He really is my number one receiver. Great work ethic and highly productive. I know we are likely to sign Boldin but if we didn't or are unable to extend Crabtree, I'd be comfortable with Jordan Matthews stepping in as a replacement in 2015. I was actually hoping he ran a slow 40 so he'd be available in the 2nd lol. I wanted to trade down and pick up an extra third. But regardless, Matthews and Odell Beckham are my guys with our first two picks.
I'm in for Matthews...but I'd like to get him and Moncrief both.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
I'm in for Matthews...but I'd like to get him and Moncrief both.

YES YES YES
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
I'm in for Matthews...but I'd like to get him and Moncrief both.

YES YES YES

Yes please. I want both also....M&M
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
I'm in for Matthews...but I'd like to get him and Moncrief both.

YES YES YES

Yes please. I want both also....M&M

Would make me very happy! Then again, there are so many WR choices that would make me happy!
If we go WR I'm looking at Matthews or Beckham in the 1st (possibly Robinson) or Landry in the 2nd. As much as I'd like a Cooks type and I agree we need more speed I'm not sure Roman would know how to use him.
  • DeUh
  • Member
  • Posts: 1,778
Will be fun to see what´s the next thing people criticize on Matthews.

First the speed, then all those screens, then his drops.....

Get creative haters !
Originally posted by Jakemall:
I'm in for Matthews...but I'd like to get him and Moncrief both.

Wouldn't be upset at all with this.