LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 147 users in the forums

Tavon Austin in the 1st

Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
we are not taking a WR in the 1st or the 2nd, you guys are hilarious, wake up from your Pipe Dreams

lmao at this post like you can read Baalke's mind.

people didn't think we were gonna take a running back early last year either
Originally posted by kush:
we are not taking a WR in the 1st or the 2nd, you guys are hilarious, wake up from your Pipe Dreams

It seems to me Baalke has positioned himself to take the BPA. We may not take a WR, but you need to wake up from your dreams if you think Baalke plans ahead what position he is going to take in each round. How can we possibly know why will be on the board at #31. What if every 1-2 rd DLineman is scooped up and Tavon Austin, Cordarrell Patterson, Keenan Allen and DeAndre Hopkins are all on the board?

so if the BPA is a QB is that what we will take? don't kid yourself. (I never said he already knows who he is going to take)
They wouldn't have him in for a visit if they weren't thinking about moving up for him... I highly doubt any of us know more about football than balke or harbaugh
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SkyGod:
You are fooling yourself if you think 5'8 175lbs Austin is going to walk into the NFL and tear it up against the big boys he's going to get rocked.

As someone else said they wouldn't touch this guy with a 10 foot pole.

I'll double that I wouldn't touch this combine wonder midget with a 20 foot pole.

Seriously seriously doubt the 49ers draft a diminutive slot receiver in the 1st round. Future commodities wideout Patterson & TE Eifert are by far the better fits for the 49ers offence.

Agree to disagree don't want Austin.

Didn't the 5"11 190lb Percy Harvin and the 5"10 175lb Desean Jackson come into the NFL and tear it up against the big boys ? Heck even that "slow undrafted midget" Wes Welker tore it up against the big boys.

Your whole argument against Austin is based on his size or lack there of...you constantly bash the player on his size and now call him a combine wonder when he has done more in his college career than Patterson has. What he did at WVU proves he is more than a combine wonder, and there are lots of undersized players in the NFL who tear up those big boys. It's not like Austin is the first undersized highly rated prospect to come out of college and one if left wondering how he would translate to the pro game.

It's fine to dislike a prospect, and to debate this guy vs that guy, but you are not doing that, you simply take childish shots at Tavon as opposed to debating the points at hand. Your argument is you don't want some midget slot receiver...yet others have posted facts :

-WVU showed his skill set is more than that of a slot receiver.
-Has proven durable despite lack of great size
-Has proven has game changing speed, acceleration and explosiveness that cannot be taught
-Has proven can deliver against a higher level of competition (something that Patterson did not really do at UT)

Why not debate the points at hand or explain how he doesn't fit the offense ? Or try to explain exactly why he won't be able to "tear it up" against the big boys ?

Your boy Cordarrelle Patterson may or may not be a star in the NFL...his lack of production against a higher level of competition, his body catching, his maturity, his inconsistent effort blocking in the run game and he has also shown some struggles with the jam at the LOS...all show the level of risk involved with him. The rewards if he turns out to be the next Demaryius Thomas or he could end up being the next DHB.

Austin has his risks too but is no less of a prospect but seemingly has fewer risks with the ability to deliver a reward every bit as good as Patterson. I wouldn't be mad if we took either, I just hope we would not have to go too high to get either or, as I'd rather not surrender too much.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Didn't the 5"11 190lb Percy Harvin and the 5"10 175lb Desean Jackson come into the NFL and tear it up against the big boys ? Heck even that "slow undrafted midget" Wes Welker tore it up against the big boys.

Your whole argument against Austin is based on his size or lack there of...you constantly bash the player on his size and now call him a combine wonder when he has done more in his college career than Patterson has. What he did at WVU proves he is more than a combine wonder, and there are lots of undersized players in the NFL who tear up those big boys. It's not like Austin is the first undersized highly rated prospect to come out of college and one if left wondering how he would translate to the pro game.

It's fine to dislike a prospect, and to debate this guy vs that guy, but you are not doing that, you simply take childish shots at Tavon as opposed to debating the points at hand. Your argument is you don't want some midget slot receiver...yet others have posted facts :

-Has proven has game changing speed, acceleration and explosiveness that cannot be taught
-Has proven can deliver against a higher level of competition (something that Patterson did not really do at UT)

Why not debate the points at hand or explain how he doesn't fit the offense ? Or try to explain exactly why he won't be able to "tear it up" against the big boys ?

Your boy Cordarrelle Patterson may or may not be a star in the NFL...his lack of production against a higher level of competition, his body catching, his maturity, his inconsistent effort blocking in the run game and he has also shown some struggles with the jam at the LOS...all show the level of risk involved with him. The rewards if he turns out to be the next Demaryius Thomas or he could end up being the next DHB.

Austin has his risks too but is no less of a prospect but seemingly has fewer risks with the ability to deliver a reward every bit as good as Patterson. I wouldn't be mad if we took either, I just hope we would not have to go too high to get either or, as I'd rather not surrender too much.

Originally posted by Broseph6:
They wouldn't have him in for a visit if they weren't thinking about moving up for him... I highly doubt any of us know more about football than balke or harbaugh

teams are allowed a limited amount of visits with top prospects. just doing their due diligence.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AmpLee:
I think it's also important to consider that Williams, Manningham, and Boldin will be FA next year with Crabtree on the horizon going to demand a ridiculous sum to keep him around. Jenkins showed us nothing last year and this is a prove-it year for him, but he's the only guy we have locked up for the next three years. If you don't think combined with the upcoming FA we will be losing, two guys returning from serious knee injuries, and unproven guys in Jenkins/Lockette, that WR isn't one of our big needs, then I don't know what to say. As it stands right now, I consider only FS a bigger need than WR, and the only two positions a player could start on this team as a rookie. While I'm not sure we pay a heavy price to trade up for Austin, I think we consider it, but at the end of the day I think a team in the early to mid teens falls in love with him.

Agreed. If he falls into the late teens, early twenties I think we begin talking trade up. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if someone as early as the Brownies, Bills or Jets took him inside the top 10 or just outside of it on a trade back.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by SkyGod:
You are fooling yourself if you think 5'8 175lbs Austin is going to walk into the NFL and tear it up against the big boys he's going to get rocked.

As someone else said they wouldn't touch this guy with a 10 foot pole.

I'll double that I wouldn't touch this combine wonder midget with a 20 foot pole.

Seriously seriously doubt the 49ers draft a diminutive slot receiver in the 1st round. Future commodities wideout Patterson & TE Eifert are by far the better fits for the 49ers offence.

Agree to disagree don't want Austin.

Amen brother!!!
Originally posted by kush:

It seems to me Baalke has positioned himself to take the BPA. We may not take a WR, but you need to wake up from your dreams if you think Baalke plans ahead what position he is going to take in each round. How can we possibly know why will be on the board at #31. What if every 1-2 rd DLineman is scooped up and Tavon Austin, Cordarrell Patterson, Keenan Allen and DeAndre Hopkins are all on the board?

so if the BPA is a QB is that what we will take? don't kid yourself. (I never said he already knows who he is going to take)
QB is a different story. QB prospects are generally overvalued and often overpicked. For this reason it is unlikely the BPA will be a QB when we select (if it is indeed at #31).

Just about any other position should be in play, including WR.
What are we the lions taking back to back Wr's... I rather trade up and get vaccaro. The only reason we do this is because of Colin. We need someone who he can't overthrow who has enough speed to get down field. But what's this mean they have no plan to resign crabtree or only plan to keep boldin for a year, does jenkins even get playing time, does kyle williams or mario even see the field. I'm really confused by this sure he's a talented player but just doesn't seem like colin has enough throws to go around as is, and if were doing pistol were not going to have more than 2 wr's on the field at a time...
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Mar 28, 2013 at 10:09 AM ]

• SaksV
  • Veteran
Ask David Boston if being a big body WR is all that matters...
Originally posted by SaksV:
Ask David Boston if being a big body WR is all that matters...

or James Hardy and Devin Thomas, who were both selected before Desean Jackson, a small receiver that had a great college career but was "too small"
People get way too wrapped up in comps. I have followed the basketball draft forever, and every year you'd have comps comparing players to Jordan or Dominique. They never panned out that way of course. Similarly, you'd have euros compared to Nowitski for 10 years running after he was drafted, and almost all the euros after him failed.

Likewise, you see player comps that some guy is suppose to fail in the NFL because his combine numbers and measurements are similar to some other player who once failed. Most of those comps end up utterly meaningless. You can't compare Tavon Austin to Dexter McCluster for example. They simply aren't the same player, and it's not even close. Austin isn't Percy Harvin either. He's his own guy, he's a spectacular college player, and he may or may not make it big in the pros.

One of my favorite comparisons is when a WR who is slow is compared to Jerry Rice, and "Hey, Jerry Rice turned out alright!" That comp means ZERO. Slowness actually is a crutch in the NFL, especially for a WR, and you better have a whole slew of exceptional attributes other than speed (like impeccable route running, desire, and hands) if you are going to make it with the big boys.

Evaluate players on their own merit, and based on how they are likely to fit the Niners system.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
It would surprise me but it would be exciting
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
can he play safety?
Share 49ersWebzone