LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 344 users in the forums

We will not be drafting a NT high

it should be a cb or s.
Originally posted by 60sfan:
Originally posted by eonblue:
We shouldn't have been drafting a nt in the first 3 rounds anyways. Unless they were going to play more than 30% of the snaps than its waste. A NT has to be a dynamic pass rusher to garner an early pick. I want us to draft personnel that benefits our hybrid nickle. We need pass rush in this formation. I want a pass rushing de/olb that can rotate with smith/brooks and take some of the pressure off of them to get.to the passer. It would make the whole team stronger. A guy ljke demontre moore, alex okafor, margus hunt, tank carradine. Carradine and hunt could be developed into 3-4 end but in their first year they could offer pressure in the 4-3 hybrid on the edge.

absolutely this............

I dont know what goes through some of your heads.

So a 3-4 NT, is not worthy of more than a 4th round pick, to a 3-4 team that currenty has no capable NT?

NT is the single current biggest need on this team. Period.

If we had a Ngata type player this would be the best front 7 in football no question.

NT is a huge need, and have any of you considered the reason we were playing the hybrid is because our NT was struggleing and we lost Cowboy for some time, etc. etc.

Willis spent some snaps on te sideline as well, maybe we dont need him either.....

NT is a huge need. I would be etremely disapointed if we didnt snag one with our first two pics if one is sitting there worth takeing, and its a solid NT class.

Dorsey was signed to a two year deal, and te "compete" comments tell me the club is bringing him in to do exactly that, competition and depth. I highly doubt they plan on rolling with his as the sure starter at NT. to do so would be extremely wishful thinking.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Mar 13, 2013 at 7:10 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
If Hunt is a kid, he is not too old, is he?

old kid... hybrid - man/boy???
I still think there's a possibility we take a NT or DE high if the right person available as I'm not completely sold on the Dorsey/Williams combo, but I think it's more likely secondary will be chosen in first round.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Originally posted by 60sfan:
With Dorsey and Boldin on board and inking Ian Williams to an extension, looks like we will focus our high draft choices on DE and DB's. Might even trade up to get someone. Any thoughts? How does it change your mocks?

Taking Jesse Williams out of my mock. Start with Datone Jones or Kawann Short or Sheldon Richardson. Then focus on DBs and receiving options (we only have three proven and healthy, in Cratbree, Boldin, and Vernon).

Jones, Ertz, Da'Rick, Rambo, Mathieu.

If this turns out to be our draft this year I will go nuts.

I think Da'rick and Mathieu will be the steals of the 2013 draft class.
it would be nice to not have any glaring needs after FA so that we can focus on BPA. The teams that draft the best are the ones that look at value and who drops to them. The bottom dwelling teams are those that reach for players based on position of need.

Its not all about next year, its about the next 5-10 years. Just because a position isn't a need now doesn't mean it wont be in 3 years. People have a hard time of understanding that. I think it was the rockets or blazers that passed on Michael Jordan because they already had a shooting guard. In any sport best strategy is taking BPA
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

So a 3-4 NT, is not worthy of more than a 4th round pick, to a 3-4 team that currenty has no capable NT?

If we had a Ngata type player this would be the best front 7 in football no question.

NT is a huge need, and have any of you considered the reason we were playing the hybrid is because our NT was struggleing and we lost Cowboy for some time, etc. etc.

Willis spent some snaps on te sideline as well, maybe we dont need him either.....

NT is a huge need. I would be etremely disapointed if we didnt snag one with our first two pics if one is sitting there worth takeing, and its a solid NT class.

Dorsey was signed to a two year deal, and te "compete" comments tell me the club is bringing him in to do exactly that, competition and depth. I highly doubt they plan on rolling with his as the sure starter at NT. to do so would be extremely wishful thinking.

Hopefully your disappointed come draft day then. I don't think Dorsey was signed to play NT. I think he plays run downs and keep Smith and McDonald fresh for.passing downs. Ian Williams was extended to play NT. The NT plays a minimal role in our defense. We take.the NT out.in the nickle because he loses his functionality if the oppoenent is not rushing. Theres not a NT in this draft that can rush better than Smith or McDonald. There's not a NT in this draft that can even legitimately rush. if there was then they would've had the stats and video to show it. Ive extensively watched Hankins, Jenkins, J will and B Will. They may get some "push" against collegw kids but throwing.their weight around isnt going.to work in the pros. Im not gonna get started on their conditioning but they wouldn't last 3 downs. Sorry but 2 down NT don't warrant an early pick becaus you can get the se function out of a playe the 3rd on. Waste of a pick
Originally posted by cory4903:
it would be nice to not have any glaring needs after FA so that we can focus on BPA. The teams that draft the best are the ones that look at value and who drops to them. The bottom dwelling teams are those that reach for players based on position of need.

Its not all about next year, its about the next 5-10 years. Just because a position isn't a need now doesn't mean it wont be in 3 years. People have a hard time of understanding that. I think it was the rockets or blazers that passed on Michael Jordan because they already had a shooting guard. In any sport best strategy is taking BPA

Absolutely the best strat at this point. My hats off the baalke bevause hes done a great job addressing our team needs in FA which leaves the draft WIDE open.
regardless, we will be drafting both a DE and NT, whether high or later rounds.
Watch us pick a NT with our first pick
[ Edited by gold49digger on Mar 13, 2013 at 9:41 PM ]

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Co-signed. This whole idea that "we don't need an NT" in this defense is ridiculously short-sighted. The biggest issue is that the 49ers have had a bunch of poverty-level NT's for awhile now but have been addressing other needs on the defense. I'd be shocked to not see them take an NT some time in the first 3 rounds this year. If you have a quality NT, not only does it make stuffing the run easier, but it takes the pressure off the rest of the defensive line as a team has to dedicate multiple blockers to holding up against the NT, meaning somewhere in that defense, someone is likely going to break free and either stuff the runner behind the line of scrimmage or get the quarterback moving out of the pocket or put him on his ass.

Soap played terrible this past season, he drastically regressed from 2011, and its not shocking to see that his snaps declined as well. Part of it was the 49ers playing in the nickel, but the other part of it is that he was a handicap out on the field quite a lot. Whether he was out there or not, teams would run up the middle against the 49ers so I guess Fangio said "f**k it", might as well keep an extra defensive back out there.

If they can bring in a guy like Jesse Williams or Brandon Williams, a talented, athletic young player that is aggressive and can take on multiple blockers, it will make the defense that much more effective, particularly the linebackers. Currently the only guy on the 49ers DL who requires multiple blockers is Justin Smith, a one-gap NT like Williams sure isn't going to do it, so adding and developing a draft pick at NT would be tremendous for this team.

In a 3-4 defense, the most important position is the NT. They don't have the stats, but they are what makes the defense work. Even a team like New England that runs a hybrid system has had a highly talented NT for a long time. If you don't have a good NT, you might as well say f**k it and go run a 4-3 system for what its worth.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 13, 2013 at 9:46 PM ]
I thinks its important to note that during Baalkes tenure he hasn't drafted one NT. Ian Williams was an UDFA in 2011. With Sopoago being the only reliable NT it seeks that if he valued the spot highly he would've picked up one to develop in the late rounds. Maybe this year is an exception but with the secondary becoming a glaring need, the lack of pass rush, de depth, and an uncertain wr corp I just don't see it being priority we address.early.
I agree. We should draft one sober...
Originally posted by eonblue:
I thinks its important to note that during Baalkes tenure he hasn't drafted one NT. Ian Williams was an UDFA in 2011. With Sopoago being the only reliable NT it seeks that if he valued the spot highly he would've picked up one to develop in the late rounds. Maybe this year is an exception but with the secondary becoming a glaring need, the lack of pass rush, de depth, and an uncertain wr corp I just don't see it being priority we address.early.

Or maybe we had other needs in early rounds, and traditionally late round NT's arent worth even a late round pick.

Any team that runs a 3-4 system understands the value of a NT.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Co-signed. This whole idea that "we don't need an NT" in this defense is ridiculously short-sighted. The biggest issue is that the 49ers have had a bunch of poverty-level NT's for awhile now but have been addressing other needs on the defense. I'd be shocked to not see them take an NT some time in the first 3 rounds this year. If you have a quality NT, not only does it make stuffing the run easier, but it takes the pressure off the rest of the defensive line as a team has to dedicate multiple blockers to holding up against the NT, meaning somewhere in that defense, someone is likely going to break free and either stuff the runner behind the line of scrimmage or get the quarterback moving out of the pocket or put him on his ass.

Soap played terrible this past season, he drastically regressed from 2011, and its not shocking to see that his snaps declined as well. Part of it was the 49ers playing in the nickel, but the other part of it is that he was a handicap out on the field quite a lot. Whether he was out there or not, teams would run up the middle against the 49ers so I guess Fangio said "f**k it", might as well keep an extra defensive back out there.

If they can bring in a guy like Jesse Williams or Brandon Williams, a talented, athletic young player that is aggressive and can take on multiple blockers, it will make the defense that much more effective, particularly the linebackers. Currently the only guy on the 49ers DL who requires multiple blockers is Justin Smith, a one-gap NT like Williams sure isn't going to do it, so adding and developing a draft pick at NT would be tremendous for this team.

In a 3-4 defense, the most important position is the NT. They don't have the stats, but they are what makes the defense work. Even a team like New England that runs a hybrid system has had a highly talented NT for a long time. If you don't have a good NT, you might as well say f**k it and go run a 4-3 system for what its worth.
I agree with a lot of what you said, but I agree with Parcells when he stated that the most important position in a 3-4 D is the pass rushing OLB. Followed by the NT.
Share 49ersWebzone