LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 332 users in the forums

Jesse Williams runs a 4.78 40.

I dont understand everyones obsession with him and I will be livid if we pick him at 31 or 34
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
This guy might be worth a look at #31. Groom him as a breather for Justin, then start him next year?

I don't like the idea of spending our 1st pick on a guy you have to groom for a year. There's not one shred.of evidence they this guy would start over smith, dorsey, or McDonald even after next season. Plus this guy.doesnt deserve our 1st pick. He's good but massively overrated.

just like everyone else out of BAMA haha
Originally posted by buck:
I can understand your not wanting him with one of our first two picks. I do not think I agree, but I can understand.

Equating him with cheap free agent or a late pick based on you tube footage does seem a bit drastic.

Oh I'm not equating him to a cheap free agent or a late draft pick. At least not directly. Fangio plays a rather aggressive one gap front 7. The type of NT you need for that system is rather is to find so to say we can get the same type of production out of late round/cheap free agent is just to say we don't have to reach into the first 2 rounds to get the type of player we need to fill that role. That's why it's a waste of pick. It's much harder to find a CB or DE that can accomplish what we need within out system than it will be to find a NT. My opinion isn't just based on youtube videos either. I have plenty of Alabama games on DVR. I will partially agree with you in my analysis being a bit drastic but I've been unsure of him since his consideration as a top 32 pick. Frankly I don't think he can anchor the middle by himself. I think he would fit best in a four man front as DT.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eonblue:
Oh I'm not equating him to a cheap free agent or a late draft pick. At least not directly.

It sure seemed to be a pretty direct comparison.
That's insane for a man that big...wouldn't break my heart at all if Baalke took him. That said, I'd prefer the other Williams...Sylvester. Think he may be a bit more accomplished as either DE or DT. Very quick. I'd really be happy with either guy, but leaning toward Sly.
Interesting tweet

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
Alabama's Jesse Williams (Australia) is a good prospect, but not first round. More like 2-3. #NFLDraft
As we approach the draft I would expect many of these guys to move significantly--just don't have a clue whether or who will be up or down! J Williams has a great motor, is incredibly fast, and should jump up the board. After reading the scouting reports on all these guys I'm left with total confusion...fast but lacks quickness, strong but not consistent, short arms but short arms...jeez, can we get a clue? I still think motor is number one and quickness is number two...after than it's what do you see in video! I punt! Baalke-Harbaugh take it!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
As we approach the draft I would expect many of these guys to move significantly--just don't have a clue whether or who will be up or down! J Williams has a great motor, is incredibly fast, and should jump up the board. After reading the scouting reports on all these guys I'm left with total confusion...fast but lacks quickness, strong but not consistent, short arms but short arms...jeez, can we get a clue? I still think motor is number one and quickness is number two...after than it's what do you see in video! I punt! Baalke-Harbaugh take it!

I think you are right about the moves up and down draft boards.

Every year, it seems, about a month before the draft, we get paralysis by analysis.

A week or so before the draft, the boards drift back to a pre-paralytic equilibrium.
Share 49ersWebzone