LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 163 users in the forums

Zach Ertz TE, Stanford

I did not see a thread on this guy as of yet but I am really high on this kid. I have been getting comparisons with him and Jason Witten. I can see it in his play. He is a very good blocker along with great hands. You know how he has the history with Harbaugh and Jim knows enough what he can do in this offense. I know we have glaring needs in the first part of the draft (such as DE, DT, FS, WR, CB, C, OLB) we all would like to address (as would I) but not to mention having picks at 31 and 34 with him possibly falling back that far it may be what Trent and Jim agree on about picking BPA on the board and grabbing Ertz. The run game and read option is an essential part of the offense as of now and I can see Ertz thriving in it. I did not make this thread up to say "I think we should take Ertz" but he is an honorable mention of someone we could select. I do not try and guess who we are trying to aquire anymore. The past 3 drafts have spun my head in a complete 360.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
I'd love to get him at #31, but I think Atlanta takes him right before us.
If lose Walker then I hope we do take a TE reasonably high. In that case I think I'd like Ertz or Escobar.

But I think I'd rather resign Walker and draft Toilolo later on.
@dpbrugler (Dane Brugler): If the #49ers don't re-sign TE Delanie Walker, look for them to consider #Stanford TE Levine Toilolo early on day 3 of the draft. Toilolo was Jim Harbaugh's No. 1 TE in 2010 at #Stanford (ahead of Coby Fleener and Zach Ertz) before a knee injury ended his sesason.
[ Edited by PTulini on Mar 4, 2013 at 4:23 PM ]
Originally posted by PTulini:
@dpbrugler (Dane Brugler): If the #49ers don't re-sign TE Delanie Walker, look for them to consider #Stanford TE Levine Toilolo early on day 3 of the draft. Toilolo was Jim Harbaugh's No. 1 TE in 2010 at #Stanford (ahead of Coby Fleener and Zach Ertz) before a knee injury ended his sesason.

Not sure those two things are mutually exclusive (resigning Walker and drafting Toilolo).

I think they would both do different things, but they're both things we can use. Walker seems like he's more versatile, going from the backfield to the end of the line all the time. Toilolo seems like he'd be a better redzone target with his size.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I'd love to get him at #31, but I think Atlanta takes him right before us.

I thought that until Atlanta released John Abraham. They need to get a pass rusher or they will turn themselves into the New Orleans Saints/Green Bay Packers in 2013. Meaning they will be a really good team, but absolutely no threat to us. If they are wise, they get an edge rusher first and draft one of the tight ends in round two.

6'8 265 .
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:

6'8 265 .

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/levine-toilolo?id=2540203
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:

6'8 265 .

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/levine-toilolo?id=2540203

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS: Toilolo has a massive frame. Good leaping ability, very difficult to defend in the end zone. Excels in the intermediate and deep game. Extends to catch the football. Has good acceleration. Coordinated enough to line up in the slot or outside in order to take advantage of mismatches. Comes off the line with little wasted motion. Good hip flexibility, and nimble feet.

WEAKNESSES: Extremely inconsistent. Will not always fully extend to make the catch. Slow with his hands as a blocker, and plays too high. Defenders can get into his chest and move him backwards. Routes can be a bit leggy, struggles in the short passing game. Can be effected by jams at the line.

NFL COMPARISON: Marcedes Lewis

BOTTOM LINE: Toilolo has a massive frame to combine with good athleticism and leaping ability. He needs to clean up his inconsistencies by fine tuning his technique, but he does have starter upside. At the very least, he will be an interesting weapon to use in the red zone.
I wanted Fleener badly in the 1st last year! Would love Ertz this year... Am wondering how Eifert compares???

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I thought that until Atlanta released John Abraham. They need to get a pass rusher or they will turn themselves into the New Orleans Saints/Green Bay Packers in 2013. Meaning they will be a really good team, but absolutely no threat to us. If they are wise, they get an edge rusher first and draft one of the tight ends in round two.

This is what they need to do but who knows what they really do. Demontre Moore and Alex Okafor will make it to them and they would be smart to snatch them up.
I'd rather draft this guy then resign (aka overpay) for an overrated Delanie Walker. I don't know much about this Zach Ertz except from what I've heard from others but I already like him better.
I don't know if we draft Ertz unless he makes to the middle of the 2nd then I could see us reaching for him. He may not be the guy for the team though. Harbaugh doesn't seem concerned about production and physical attributes as much as he wants people to fit the vision of want he wants for the offense. So does Harbaugh want a WR in a TE body? I don't think so but if he feels that he can develop Ertz into a better blocker then maybe. Ertz would need a lot of developing though because Delanie Walkers blocking this year was textbook s**t.
DL, DB, WR, DL, DB, TE, C, OLB, K
Originally posted by eonblue:
I don't know if we draft Ertz unless he makes to the middle of the 2nd then I could see us reaching for him. He may not be the guy for the team though. Harbaugh doesn't seem concerned about production and physical attributes as much as he wants people to fit the vision of want he wants for the offense. So does Harbaugh want a WR in a TE body? I don't think so but if he feels that he can develop Ertz into a better blocker then maybe. Ertz would need a lot of developing though because Delanie Walkers blocking this year was textbook s**t.

Just draft Eifert then, he already knows how to block as well as being able to do everything that Ertz can do. He's pro ready and could replace Delanie from day one.
Share 49ersWebzone