There are 169 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kickers

Who is out there and what round do we target one?

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013K.php
[ Edited by AmpLee on Feb 28, 2013 at 5:39 PM ]
We should take one with the pick we got Alex for
Akers will probably be cut to save 3 million. I think we could look towards free agency. Not sure we will trust a rookie kicker but if we had to since we have so many picks we can afford to spend on earlier than most on a kicker. Could take Sturgis or Hopkins in rounds 5 or 6. I'd prefer to go after Phil Dawson or Rob Bironas. I think even though we would prefer a FA our cap situation might mean we have to go with a rookie. Those guys might cost 3 million a year compared to a rookie at 4 years, 2-2.5 million total.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Feb 28, 2013 at 7:49 PM ]
Dustin Hopkins.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Hopkins or Sturgis in the 4th.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 1, 2013 at 3:01 AM ]
BUMP

I'm all about drafting a young kicker this year. Once again, we have lots of picks and our kicker (Dawson) is a free agent

Sure, some of you may like Dawson's field goal abilities, but these last two years, I'm sure our team would be better off having a young guy who kicks it through the back of the end zone. In last year's super Bowl and last week's game, a very good return gave the other team momentum.

C'Mon Baalke, lets get a young, rocket-legged kicker! (I have no idea who's coming out this year)
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
BUMP

I'm all about drafting a young kicker this year. Once again, we have lots of picks and our kicker (Dawson) is a free agent

Sure, some of you may like Dawson's field goal abilities, but these last two years, I'm sure our team would be better off having a young guy who kicks it through the back of the end zone. In last year's super Bowl and last week's game, a very good return gave the other team momentum.

C'Mon Baalke, lets get a young, rocket-legged kicker! (I have no idea who's coming out this year)

I think that Harbaugh/Baalke have shown that they have no intention of drafting a kicker. They'll ride experienced veterans until the wheels fall off.
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
BUMP

We need our kicker to be able to kick it through the back of the end zone! How many of you were saying before Dawson kicked off (right after we answered Seattle's TD with the Kap-to-Boldin TD) to kick it through the end zone and don't give them a chance to return it? I was, and when Dawson didn't and Baldwin had the return he did, I was pissed and yelling at the TV. If we put them on their own 20 yard line (or worse) every time and make them try to drive 80 yards consisently to score a TD, I like our chances with the D we have. Dawson had a great year kicking FGs, no doubt about it...I just wish he could put the ball through the end zone on kickoffs.
If you want touchbacks, Cody Parkey from Auburn is my favorite kid. I was at the game when they played Tennessee and he kicked two kickoffs through the uprights. Here's some video:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZYmrMzxJAM[/video]

Also, he had over 70% of his kickoffs result in touchbacks this season at Auburn, per www.cfbstats.com. I would rather have a veteran kicker, but this guy started everyone at the 20 this season.
Phil Dawson - Thats the answer - we do not have a spot on the roster for 2 kickers
Originally posted by loyalniner:
If you want touchbacks, Cody Parkey from Auburn is my favorite kid. I was at the game when they played Tennessee and he kicked two kickoffs through the uprights. Here's some video:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZYmrMzxJAM[/video]

Also, he had over 70% of his kickoffs result in touchbacks this season at Auburn, per www.cfbstats.com. I would rather have a veteran kicker, but this guy started everyone at the 20 this season.

Thanks for this. Sometimes, teams find that gem of a kicker in the draft that sets them up for years (such as Baltimore and Justin Tucker). But it's not easy to spend a draft pick on a kicker as they're so hit-and-miss (Jeff Chandler anyone?). As a lifelong 49ers fan, I've seen some very good ones here when it comes to making FGs...but I've also seen my share of poor kickoff coverage in big games and we have an unfortunate history here (Jennings - Super Bowl vs. Bengals, Coleman - Super Bowl vs. Chargers, Jones - Super Bowl vs. Ravens). Maybe it's not the kicker but our coverage personnel? Whatever it may be...when we have a D like we do now, I'm at the point where I want the kicker to almost always kick touchbacks and give the other team no decent starting field position. When that didn't happen and Seattle had the return they did, it helped give back momentum to them.
Originally posted by Stevec9932:
Phil Dawson - Thats the answer - we do not have a spot on the roster for 2 kickers

This maybe true but I think tha real question here is do we have a roster spot for a 2-3+ million dollar kicker with our major players goin into free agency in tha next yr or two....
How many games would we have lost w/out Dawson and how many losses were decided on him not kicking touchbacks?

Dawson will be back.
And the answer is: Don't waste a draft pick on a kicker.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
How many games would we have lost w/out Dawson and how many losses were decided on him not kicking touchbacks?

Dawson will be back.

It would be great to have Dawson back if it works out within the limits of the team's salary cap considerations. That said, I wish he would also kick touchbacks to go along with his great FG accuracy. Maybe all those FGs and kickoffs he kicked this year started to take away some of his leg strength towards the end of the season.