There are 245 users in the forums

First 3 Picks

There has been a lot of talk about moving up in the first round or trading for Revis, but if the draft goes our way standing pat might help our team the most. Trading for Revis is not a Baalke-type move and would severely handicap us cap-wise. I haven't been paying attention to the draft as closely as most years until we made the Smith trade, so let me know if I'm off base here.

31. Sheldon Richardson DT/DE Missouri (Naturally Justin Smith's succesor is from Missouri)
34. Keenan Allen WR Cal (I anticipate a 4.5+ 40 at his pro day)
61. Eric Reid S LSU (Love the guy, but for some reason Kiper's #4 rated safety. Could trade up in the 2nd for him)

Getting these three guys would fill our three biggest needs and all could be stars. This draft is light on top, so I like the value we could get by staying where we are.
I doubt we could get Richardson or Allen at those picks. We have to move up to at least top 20 for Richardson.
I like you 3 selections. Richardson is hands down my favorite player in this draft...however...something smells funny about getting 2 2nd rounders...

I swear to you...if I didnt know any better...I would think they are positioning themselves for a shot at Jadaveon Clowney next season. Just a small hunch...
Originally posted by reasonable1:
I like you 3 selections. Richardson is hands down my favorite player in this draft...however...something smells funny about getting 2 2nd rounders...

I swear to you...if I didnt know any better...I would think they are positioning themselves for a shot at Jadaveon Clowney next season. Just a small hunch...

If we did, damn this defense would be unstoppable.
Originally posted by reasonable1:

From the little I've seen and read about Clowney, he's not the kind of player next year's lottery winner is going to trade away for a boatload of picks.
Originally posted by Draftology:
There has been a lot of talk about moving up in the first round or trading for Revis, but if the draft goes our way standing pat might help our team the most. Trading for Revis is not a Baalke-type move and would severely handicap us cap-wise. I haven't been paying attention to the draft as closely as most years until we made the Smith trade, so let me know if I'm off base here.

31. Sheldon Richardson DT/DE Missouri (Naturally Justin Smith's succesor is from Missouri)
61. Eric Reid S LSU (Love the guy, but for some reason Kiper's #4 rated safety. Could trade up in the 2nd for him)

Getting these three guys would fill our three biggest needs and all could be stars. This draft is light on top, so I like the value we could get by staying where we are.

You are way off base . But it's ok to dream :-). No one is going to take issues with these picks. They most likely just won't happen unless Richardson slaps a scout at his pro day or something.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
From the little I've seen and read about Clowney, he's not the kind of player next year's lottery winner is going to trade away for a boatload of picks.

Agreed. A team may have to overpay.

if we get these three guys we are set but i dont know if LSU's safety makes it that far
  • HERN
  • Veteran
31. Matt Elam - Safety
34. Tevon Austin - WR
61. Jesse Williams - DT
74. Tyrann Mathieu - CB
93. William Gholston - DE

I'm putting safety as our top priority seeing that Dashon will be either a patriot or a bengal next year. Tevon Austin my favorite player in the draft FTW. We need depth on the D-line not an immediate starter, so we get d-lineman later on in the draft to develop behind Justin Smith. Tyrann in the 3rd? of course he's a 1st round caliber CB. I know it's a random draft, but i feel that it could work.

I like Richardson, Allen will be gone by 34 and Reid is okay. He didn't cover over the top as well as you'd hope. I like Phillip Thomas from Fresno at 61 or 74 much better

I like:

Desmond Trufant
Deandre Hopkins
Sylvester Williams

There are some other guys at those positions I like a little more, but that seems like a realistic expectation.
Share 49ersWebzone