There are 231 users in the forums

EJ Manuel

• 9moon
  • Veteran
I have a feeling that Harbaugh will take this guy w/one of our 3rd rounder..
Knowing the 49ers commitment to having options to high priced / high value players, and penchant for surprise draft picks, it would not shock me one bit if they took EJ with one of the first 3 picks.

The challenge with having an triple threat offense is that if the QB gets hurt, the whole style of the play calling (game plan) has to change if you don't have a like QB to insert. Your coaching staff would essentially need a whole standard offense contingency game plan for every game. That is just not feasible to do for the coaches or prep with the players.

The back-up doesn't have to be as fast, but he does have to be a threat to run. As solid and a gamer as Tolzien is, he does not present that threat at all.

The really must not have like Josh Johnson last year. He has the physical skills to be a "like" back-up for CK - but they must have been sorely disappointed in him not to bring him in this year now that CK is the starter.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Knowing the 49ers commitment to having options to high priced / high value players, and penchant for surprise draft picks, it would not shock me one bit if they took EJ with one of the first 3 picks.

The challenge with having an triple threat offense is that if the QB gets hurt, the whole style of the play calling (game plan) has to change if you don't have a like QB to insert. Your coaching staff would essentially need a whole standard offense contingency game plan for every game. That is just not feasible to do for the coaches or prep with the players.

The back-up doesn't have to be as fast, but he does have to be a threat to run. As solid and a gamer as Tolzien is, he does not present that threat at all.

The really must not have like Josh Johnson last year. He has the physical skills to be a "like" back-up for CK - but they must have been sorely disappointed in him not to bring him in this year now that CK is the starter.

I've spent this pre-draft season so far being adamant that drafting a QB early would be an absolute waste, but with so many evaluators I trust (like Mayock, MadDog) riding Manuel's bandwagon so hard, he's actually a pick I could get somewhat excited about. After all, we have no clear backup QB, and no one thinks the Redskins made the wrong decision with Cousins anymore, despite all the head scratching at the time.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Originally posted by HearstFan:

I've spent this pre-draft season so far being adamant that drafting a QB early would be an absolute waste, but with so many evaluators I trust (like Mayock, MadDog) riding Manuel's bandwagon so hard, he's actually a pick I could get somewhat excited about. After all, we have no clear backup QB, and no one thinks the Redskins made the wrong decision with Cousins anymore, despite all the head scratching at the time.

Matt Scott.

With all the hype he is receiving, Manuel is liable to be drafted too early by a QB needy team at a spot that wouldn't represent value for the Niners. Too bad, because he would be a perfect developmental prospect as it looks like he will need some development. Philadelphia may be where he lands.
I went to a football camp with this dude in high school. He was so much bigger than every other qb lol
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Don't know what you're watching but Manuel's footwork is solid and his accurcay is great. The only QB with better accuracy then Manuel in the draft is Geno Smith.

While you were watching the sun Devils get destroyed in the Pac-12, I was actually watching Manuel play. Understand how that works? The guy is nothing more than a career backup.period. Your argument that he must be a helluva qb because his accuracy is better than most signal callers in this draft in invalid because this is a WEAK draft for Quarterbacks.
[ Edited by 49ERFANb4Uwas on Mar 31, 2013 at 4:14 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ERFANb4Uwas:
While you were watching the sun Devils get destroyed in the Pac-12, I was actually watching Manuel play. Understand how that works? The guy is nothing more than a career backup.period. Your argument that he must be a helluva qb because his accuracy is better than most signal callers in this draft in invalid because this is a WEAK draft for Quarterbacks.

ASU was 5-4 in PAC-12 play. Yet more "accurate" insight from you....

We are so glad to have your input on the draft forum
Colt McCoy says "Write off this thinking"
This guys gonna go in the top 20

i think either Jax or or Philly with grab him

not at 2 or 4 but maybe trade back into the first or trade down from the top 10
I like Manuel. He's a good guy

He looks great in his highlights but I want to see what his lowlights look like.
[ Edited by YungAce on Apr 24, 2013 at 10:00 AM ]

If there's one thing Harbaugh can do, it's make QBs. We've seen that QBs can have tremendous value, even from the bench. From Cassel, to Alex Smith, to Brett Favre, to Steve Young. If we took him with our late 2nd round pick and develop him, we could have a QB of the future that we can trade easily for a 1st rounder, or have a legitimate backup for Kaepernick. It's the equivalent in my mind of trading for a future high draft pick, except we also have the benefit of a backup in case Kaep gets hurt, or worst case, leaves in FA.
VERY good player w/big upside.

IMO, a BIG WASTE of a pick on our part.

We can do MUCH better for the team w/that selection.

In fact, taking a QB w/any pick is a waste for us in this draft.
Spending a 3rd rd pick for a guy you'd expect to sit for a few years seems like a waste. All the Niners need after signing McCoy is a QB to compete with Tolzien for the 3rd spot in the rotation. Baalke can pick up one in the later rounds. Now, if we're talking drafting him then trading him to another team for more picks, I think that might work out well. Baalke hasn't shown an inclination to do that, but who knows.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I would be fine with spending a 2nd round pick on a QB. It would give us 2 big benefits.

1. Having a great backup QB means that your team is still a playoff contender if your top QB goes down.
2. If CK wants to play hardball in contract negotiations, we have another viable option.
Originally posted by fryet:
I would be fine with spending a 2nd round pick on a QB. It would give us 2 big benefits.

1. Having a great backup QB means that your team is still a playoff contender if your top QB goes down.
2. If CK wants to play hardball in contract negotiations, we have another viable option.

no way UNLESS Tyler Bray is there at 61

i think he could be traded for a first and a mid round pick in a few years if harbaugh coaches the guy up
Share 49ersWebzone