LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

William Gholston DE

Fairly impressed, vast room for improvement, could be a stud,
[ Edited by dyNASTYmode on Feb 27, 2013 at 1:48 AM ]
Originally posted by dyNASTYmode:

Fairly impressed, vast room for improvement, could be a stud,

Was heard being said about Vernon Gholston....circa March, 2008.

Just like his cousin he's got those same pesky questions about his work ethic....at least if he busts, it won't cost anyone a 1st round draft pick.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 27, 2013 at 1:55 AM ]
I like him. Have us taking him in my mock. I like his nastyness, but he will have to tone it down a bit in the NFL.

IMO would be a great guy to have Tomsula develope and ave learn from Justin smith.If there are two guys that can get the most out of him its them.
I watched Vernon Gholston at Ohio State and thought this guy can't miss. The name Gholston sends shivers throughout the NY Jet organization.
Where is he projected to go?
can be hit or miss with him
Can't see the 49ers taking him if there's significant effort concerns.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I watched Vernon Gholston at Ohio State and thought this guy can't miss. The name Gholston sends shivers throughout the NY Jet organization.

Yeah, no Gholston's.
Originally posted by jta854:
Where is he projected to go?

I've seen him as a late 3rd-anywhere in the 4th round pick.

That said, he is one of those guys I would love if we took. I think we can develop him and would end up striking gold. Just a gut feeling I have.
Mayock likes him. Take a chance in the 3rd or 4th.

He certainly has potential BUT like RishikeshA - the Gholston name makes me think hard.

A 4th- 5th is about right, obviuosly depending on who else is there.
Gholston is one of my favorite mid-round prospects in this draft. Outside the obvious named (Floyd, Richardson, Jones) I think he is one of the top 5-tech prospects in this class. I would take this guy over Margus Hunt in a heartbeat. He's an above-average/great run defender that needs to work on his pass rushing moves and technique. There hasn't been a lot of reporting on this guy, but I haven't heard his work ethic questioned at all. He just got a little too hyped in a rivalry game and punched Lewan in the face - which is something to take note of, but I don't think it's a concern.

As for his name... I don't see what that has to do with. Vernon Gholston was his cousin for god's sake. I know people talk about "NFL bloodlines" but this is a little out of hand. It's not like Casey Matthews turned out to be some star because his brother and dad were good players. Peyton and Eli have a brother that works a desk job. I'm not worried about his name.

I think this a guy we target with that compensatory selection in the 3rd round. Good D-Line depth with the potential to develop into a monster under Tomsula. Great frame and length for the position.
I'd pass...much more consistent talent available when you consider Richardson, Williams' (Jesse & Sylvester), Floyd, Hankins, Jenkins. If I'm Baalke, I use some of my 15 picks to trade up and get blue-chippers. Great opportunity to acquire some top-line players...so I say go for the gold. We can do "project" players after we win a couple more SB's.
We all know how Vernon Gholston turned out.

BUST
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
We all know how Vernon Gholston turned out.

BUST

Would be very foolish to assume a player is going to be great or a BUST based on another man's career, just because they're bloodlines. Clay Matthews career has nothing to do with what Casey Matthews does with his career. From Champ Bailey-Boss Bailey to Mike Vick-Marcus Vick or even the successes of Eli-Peyton. Each man is responsible from their own career, every person's attitude handles their adversity differently.

If this was the case, it would be safe to assume that you believe the sons of Howie Long, Barry Sanders, Walter Peyton, and Joe Montana son will continue their respective fathers legacy.

We all know how Tim McDonald turned out...

Draft T.J. McDonald!!
Share 49ersWebzone