LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 220 users in the forums

No-Brainer in 1st Round - WR Robert Woods USC

Originally posted by 49ERFANb4Uwas:
Originally posted by OldJoe:
This.

They will not use a first pick on a WR. Not after last year.

Exactly. ..that guy's been hanging around Matt Millen too much

Hey man, 4th time was a charm...
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 49ersss:
I wouldn't take him with the first or the second. We have more pressing needs, like DL and Secondary that need to be addressed first. If we had KC's 3rd rounder this year and Woods were available though, I might consider using that pick on him. I like Justin Hunter and Da'rick Rogers over him though.

Tavon Austin
DeAndre Hopkins
Quinton Patton
Da'Rick Rogers
Justin Hunter

all before Woods.

Another future USC to NFL bust, no thanks.
[ Edited by Irish40Niner on Feb 26, 2013 at 11:43 AM ]
Originally posted by Irish40Niner:

I'm trying to remember all the USC WRs that have been drafted and figure out if any of them have bucked the trend of under performing in the NFL.

JJ Stokes
KeyShawn Johnson
Mike Williams
Steve Smith
Ronald Johnson
Damian Williams
Dwayne Jarrett
Keary Colbert
Johnnie Morton
Curtis Conway

I know it's unfair to judge a player based on how guys from the same school did 10 or 15 years ago. But there's a school of thought that you don't draft WRs from west coast schools, because playing in good weather all the time pads their stats. Maybe that's why USC WRs never do that well. Or maybe it's just dumb luck.

But no matter how you slice it, that's a pretty impressive list of over drafted WRs....
I like that he's got great hands and his route running looked pretty good. But for some reason, I just don't like his demeanor. He seemed really cocky at the combine. Agreed with Phoenix that there's a ton of receivers I'd go with before Woods.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

I'm trying to remember all the USC WRs that have been drafted and figure out if any of them have bucked the trend of under performing in the NFL.

JJ Stokes
KeyShawn Johnson
Mike Williams
Steve Smith
Ronald Johnson
Damian Williams
Dwayne Jarrett
Keary Colbert
Johnnie Morton
Curtis Conway

I know it's unfair to judge a player based on how guys from the same school did 10 or 15 years ago. But there's a school of thought that you don't draft WRs from west coast schools, because playing in good weather all the time pads their stats. Maybe that's why USC WRs never do that well. Or maybe it's just dumb luck.

But no matter how you slice it, that's a pretty impressive list of over drafted WRs....

JJ Stokes went to UCLA
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

JJ Stokes
KeyShawn Johnson
Mike Williams
Steve Smith
Ronald Johnson
Damian Williams
Dwayne Jarrett
Keary Colbert
Johnnie Morton
Curtis Conway

JJ Stokes went to UCLA

Close enough
Originally posted by valrod33:

JJ Stokes
KeyShawn Johnson
Mike Williams
Steve Smith
Ronald Johnson
Damian Williams
Dwayne Jarrett
Keary Colbert
Johnnie Morton
Curtis Conway

JJ Stokes went to UCLA

Close enough
Haha... whoops.

Well, still helps the point about WRs from west coast schools....
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Is he related to Rashaun?
Originally posted by HIMYM:
Who really trusts USC players anymore.

+1 Too many duds coming from SC lately outside of Matt Kalil.

Originally posted by SFrush:

Ask yourself this. Would you want Marquis Lee if we had a chance to get him in the 2014 draft? If you say no, based only on the USC factor, then you're a loonie tune! The real answer is a resounding yes!

Therefore the anit-USC argument is BS. By the way, Steve Smith (Giants draft pick) was a good pro until he got injured.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:

Ask yourself this. Would you want Marquis Lee if we had a chance to get him in the 2014 draft? If you say no, based only on the USC factor, then you're a loonie tune! The real answer is a resounding yes!

Therefore the anit-USC argument is BS. By the way, Steve Smith (Giants draft pick) was a good pro until he got injured.

Sure. But having seen every game this year that USC played I can tell you this... Robert Woods is NO Marquis Lee.

Sure. But having seen every game this year that USC played I can tell you this... Robert Woods is NO Marquis Lee.

Definitely not arguing that. All I'm saying is too many people are criticizing Woods, not because of his play on the field, but because he went to USC. It's ridiculous! The guy can ball!
[ Edited by doc_brown_ on Feb 26, 2013 at 12:56 PM ]
Definitely not arguing that. All I'm saying is too many people are criticizing Woods, not because of his play on the field, but because he went to USC. It's ridiculous! The guy can ball!

USC offenses are usually so loaded with talent that the skill positions don't face double teams as often. There are rarely guys you can ignore on their offense, so everyone is open. It is a function of their offense routinely being more talented than the defenses they play. It is hard to evaluate one player in that scenario, though they generally have an easier time then they would in the NFL, where there is MUCH greater parity. There is nothing obvious about Woods that suggests that he can not play in the NFL, but there is nothing to suggest that he was even the most talented WR on his team, which you would generally expect from a 1st round WR.

Im not saying that Woods cant play because he goes to USC. Just like I would not say that Barkley cant play because of past USC failures at QB. I just your original premise that Woods is a no brainer in the first is way off. I see him as a late 2nd or early 3rd rd prospect.
Share 49ersWebzone