LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 220 users in the forums

Worried T Austin = Santana moss

Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
49ers with their 14 picks trade up in front of Seattle and select Tavon Austin

This!

Add the fact we may get another pick with the rumored Alex Smith to KC trade we could have 15 draft picks. TA has serious playmaker talent and you can never be overstocked with playmakers.
Originally posted by MntIdaGold:
Add the fact we may get another pick with the rumored Alex Smith to KC trade we could have 15 draft picks. TA has serious playmaker talent and you can never be overstocked with playmakers.

I woudn't be pissed off if they took Austin, with Kaepernick's arm, that creates the potential for serious mismatches downfield. It would certainly open up the offense some more, so I'd be on board with it, I just kind of feel that if you take Austin, you're kind of brushing Jenkins to the side before he's had a chance to really prove himself as they are similar in several ways.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by MntIdaGold:

I woudn't be pissed off if they took Austin, with Kaepernick's arm, that creates the potential for serious mismatches downfield. It would certainly open up the offense some more, so I'd be on board with it, I just kind of feel that if you take Austin, you're kind of brushing Jenkins to the side before he's had a chance to really prove himself as they are similar in several ways.

this is my concern with some of these WR's that guys are high on. Especially when they ill demand anearly pick. We have Jenkins and KW. I personally would like to draft Ace Sanders, because regardless of what he ran, the guy breaks legs with cuts and ould IMO provide a great special teams presence right away.

A guy like austin i just couldnt feel like the pick is justified.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
this is my concern with some of these WR's that guys are high on. Especially when they ill demand anearly pick. We have Jenkins and KW. I personally would like to draft Ace Sanders, because regardless of what he ran, the guy breaks legs with cuts and ould IMO provide a great special teams presence right away.

I don't think it would be justified either but a guy like Austin could produce at multiple positions. He finished the 2012 season with 100 ypg, 54 rpg, 165 off 15 pr, 833 of 33 kr. That's 2910 all purpose. I think that type of production is worth a 1st round.

I don't think it would be justified either but a guy like Austin could produce at multiple positions. He finished the 2012 season with 100 ypg, 54 rpg, 165 off 15 pr, 833 of 33 kr. That's 2910 all purpose. I think that type of production is worth a 1st round.

I know why people like him, i just cant justify spending a 1st or second on a WR no matter ho i try to spin it in my head. e have too many other needs.
We should just pass on the most electric player in the draft. We need some talent outside of Crabtree. Sure Manningham is hurt, but have Jenkins, Williams, and we could always sign Chad Hall again.
Originally posted by strickac:
We should just pass on the most electric player in the draft. We need some talent outside of Crabtree. Sure Manningham is hurt, but have Jenkins, Williams, and we could always sign Chad Hall again.

No, go ahead and draft him while ignoring the defensive line and the secondary, you know, the reason why this team has actually been winning games for the past two years..........forget that they went out and got a similar kind of player in the 1st round already last year and he hasn't even had a chance to show if he's got it or not, but by all means, this team can win games the way Green Bay does, just play NFL Blitz style football and go long each and every play.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 25, 2013 at 1:47 AM ]
We do want some talent outside of Crabtree but that has to come from what we have Like Davis, LaMike, Walker, AJ, and possibly moss. I don't want him that high if Available. He is pretty small and not exactly tough. I will have to check up on his run blocking too.
I know why people like him, i just cant justify spending a 1st or second on a WR no matter ho i try to spin it in my head. e have too many other needs.

WR is a need is it not?

No, go ahead and draft him while ignoring the defensive line and the secondary, you know, the reason why this team has actually been winning games for the past two years..........forget that they went out and got a similar kind of player in the 1st round already last year and he hasn't even had a chance to show if he's got it or not, but by all means, this team can win games the way Green Bay does, just play NFL Blitz style football and go long each and every play.

Lol so dramatic. Spending the 1st pick on a wr doesn't mean were trying to convert to blitz offense man. We need another RELIABLE target for kaep. To be honest I don't think austin is the guy but if harbaugh and baalke think so then I would be fine. I think will.pick secondary but who knows. Its not a black and white issue.

WR is a need is it not?
Yes. But not at the top of the list. Also i feel this draft has some solid depth and contributers in the later rounds, and we learned with jenkins that there is never a guarantee that an early round WR will contribute right away. Not only that but the offense was plenty capable of scoreing points with what we had. Where we struggled was in the RZ passing game. NT, TE, S, CB, DE are all higher in priority IMO. We certainly need WR's, but in my mind i couldnt justify a WR pick in the first or second.

It just doesnt make sense IMO.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Feb 25, 2013 at 4:20 AM ]
What is wrong with S. Moss? Sure he'd no HOF player but he's been productive and if not mistaken has never played with a true #1 WR.

With the bust ratio of WRs in the first rd you'd be dumb not to take a player if you knew he'd have a career like S. Moss.
I think Austin is a natural playmaker and could be another swiss army knife type of player with the range similar to Delanie Walker. Obviously not covering the exact same roles on our team, but offer similar multiple depth on in roles on the team. Regarding AJ and KW, AJ hasn't proved a thing and KW is coming off IR. And I have noticed over the years, and this is not a stretch or revolutionary, but you never know what you have with young wideouts until their third year.

Since the DL depth is deep in the draft, maybe we go after an extra one and use it on Austin and then use the second 1st (original) on the DL. With Alex pick and the comps we could have 15 picks. We can't use them all this year. Expect quite a few for trading up and restocking picks for next year.
The guy just ran a 4.25!

There is no way he is there at 31, and JH & TB don't usually draft the Mr. Obvious guy. I bet they have a plan for a WR, CB, and DL that doesn't include the big time names. The past two years Aldon & Jenkins were complete surprises to almost everyone. Not to mention FS becomes pretty important if DG leaves via free agency.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Slow your roll tiger, there are still other draft picks at our disposal as well as free agency where we could help those areas. It's not as if we have to be committed to taking a DL or DB with pick 31 to improve those areas.
Share 49ersWebzone