My Top WR's Tavon Austin & Markus Wheaton

Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Tavon Austin 4.25 & Markus Wheaton 4.34

your boy Patton 4.46

Austin: 4.34

Wheaton: 4.45

Yes Official times n Patton was 4.53 and Ace Sanders 4.58
I'm curious what everyones thoughts are on Ryan Swope out of Texas AM guy ran a 4.34 in the 40, his official stats are 6' 205 and he's had a pretty consistent college career. I read somewhere he was graded a 2nd rounder prior to the combine. NFL.com stated his biggest weakness was his straight line speed (listed at 4.56 prior to the combine) I feel like he might have changed some opinions about that today. I like him, I think he would make a great slot receiver and he has the size and strength to have a long career, plus he just proved he's very fast. What does everyone else think?
Originally posted by jdp88:
I'm curious what everyones thoughts are on Ryan Swope out of Texas AM guy ran a 4.34 in the 40, his official stats are 6' 205 and he's had a pretty consistent college career. I read somewhere he was graded a 2nd rounder prior to the combine. NFL.com stated his biggest weakness was his straight line speed (listed at 4.56 prior to the combine) I feel like he might have changed some opinions about that today. I like him, I think he would make a great slot receiver and he has the size and strength to have a long career, plus he just proved he's very fast. What does everyone else think?

Like Billick said on the broadcast, the 40 time just leads you back to the tape, and the tape will tell you that 4.34 from Swope was likely either a fluke of a great start or he doesn't play to his 40 time (reverse-Jerry). He's a solid wideout prospect but he won't be a burner in the pros despite his 40 time.

Originally posted by oregonniner:
To me, drafting wide receivers and quarterbacks are the most unpredictable positions to draft. That being said, I would trust drafting Robert Woods. He looks ready to go right away and he isn't such a developmental player. I do wonder about his ankle a little bit, but I don't think it's serious. If anything I think it is what is dropping him down draft boards, because it hurt his senior season.

I really like woods as well. 12 months ago he was a top 5 draft prospect, but some injuries (not career-altering) and poor QB play (not his fault) and the emergence of another great WR at his same school (not his fault) have depressed his prospects a bit. As a late first/early second option I think he'd be an absolute steal. He's a Crabtree type receiver, and you can't have enough of those.
Originally posted by DarkKnight1680:
Like Billick said on the broadcast, the 40 time just leads you back to the tape, and the tape will tell you that 4.34 from Swope was likely either a fluke of a great start or he doesn't play to his 40 time (reverse-Jerry). He's a solid wideout prospect but he won't be a burner in the pros despite his 40 time.

I really like woods as well. 12 months ago he was a top 5 draft prospect, but some injuries (not career-altering) and poor QB play (not his fault) and the emergence of another great WR at his same school (not his fault) have depressed his prospects a bit. As a late first/early second option I think he'd be an absolute steal. He's a Crabtree type receiver, and you can't have enough of those.

I watched a youtube highlight reel of Swope and he looked pretty fast to me, now I don't have any experience watching tape and if Billick said he doesn't play to his speed I guess he would know. Watch the tape and tell me what you think http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eCosoGT0beM#! He looks quick and he's got great hands. I was thinking if hes available in 3rd rd he could be worth using one of our 3 picks on.
Originally posted by DarkKnight1680:
Originally posted by jdp88:

To me, drafting wide receivers and quarterbacks are the most unpredictable positions to draft. That being said, I would trust drafting Robert Woods. He looks ready to go right away and he isn't such a developmental player. I do wonder about his ankle a little bit, but I don't think it's serious. If anything I think it is what is dropping him down draft boards, because it hurt his senior season.

At least Woods had a QB Markus Wheaton did not and was more productive than woods in USC over rated team. Woods is fundamentally sound but he is what you get does not have a ceiling more like his other USC teammate Steve Smith.

your boy Patton 4.46

So Patton would lose in a track meet to both of those guys......but out on the football field if speed determined performance, Darius Heyward Bey would have made Michael Crabtree his b***h if 40 times really mattered and the Raiders would the 5 or 6 time consecutive Superbowl winners.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 24, 2013 at 12:22 PM ]

Hhe wasn't even the best receiver on his own team, disappointing would be an understatement...plus I have a superstition now about WR's with the last name Woods....it'd be like drafting a defensive lineman named Balmer or a quarterback named Carmazzi......bad karma.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 24, 2013 at 12:27 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

your boy Patton 4.46

So Patton would lose in a track meet to both of those guys......but out on the football field if speed determined performance, Darius Heyward Bey would have made Michael Crabtree his b***h if 40 times really mattered and the Raiders would the 5 or 6 time consecutive Superbowl winners.

Yes understood but Austin is a hands catcher unlike Heyward Bey oh god he is awful. Wheaton & Patton are more of a project but they do have alot of upside. No doubt Austin will be a late 1st round pick he helped himself alot.

Hhe wasn't even the best receiver on his own team, disappointing would be an understatement...plus I have a superstition now about WR's with the last name Woods....it'd be like drafting a defensive lineman named Balmer or a quarterback named Carmazzi......bad karma.

Woods reminds me of another USC standout Steve Smith they're good but not alot of upside imo.
Yes understood but Austin is a hands catcher unlike Heyward Bey oh god he is awful. Wheaton & Patton are more of a project but they do have alot of upside. No doubt Austin will be a late 1st round pick he helped himself alot.

Which is fine, if his numbers convince one more team to take him early, that just means the potential of a needed defensive lineman dropping a bit further.

As far as Patton, I disagree that he's a project, I've said it before and I'll say it again, after Keenan Allen, he's the most game-ready wide receiver in this draft, when it comes to running routes and especially in terms of being a willing and enthusiastic blocker.

Ha ha. I see what you mean about the last name. Marquise Lee is better than him, but I don't think there is much shame in that.

Woods reminds me of another USC standout Steve Smith they're good but not alot of upside imo.

I can see that.
Patton
3 cone drill 6.91
20 yrd shuffle 4.01
Vertical 33
8 reps @ 225

Wheaton
3 cone drill 6.80
20 yrd shuffle 4.02
60 yrd shuffle 11.16
Vertical 37
20 reps @225

Its a toss up but I like Wheaton's upside
Yes Official times n Patton was 4.53 and Ace Sanders 4.58

Faster than I was expecting from him
Patton
3 cone drill 6.91
20 yrd shuffle 4.01
Vertical 33
8 reps @ 225

Wheaton
3 cone drill 6.80
20 yrd shuffle 4.02
60 yrd shuffle 11.16
Vertical 37
20 reps @225

Its a toss up but I like Wheaton's upside

Truthfully, wouldn't be upset with seeing Wheaton on the 49ers, still have a strong preference for Patton though, among other things, he has no lack of confidence in himself.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130223/SPORTS01/302230083/Nashville-s-Quinton-Patton-says-he-s-top-wide-receiver-in-NFL-Draft
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 24, 2013 at 3:55 PM ]
I wish Austin was 25 lbs heavier, but he is very interesting because he was moved around a lot in the WV offense.
Share 49ersWebzone