There are 104 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Take RB Marcus Lattimore late 3rd Round & Redshirt him

Anyway, if we are to pick a back, let's not waste time just pick Le'Veon Bell.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
Anyway, if we are to pick a back, let's not waste time just pick Le'Veon Bell.

Dude... no offense, but calm the f**k down. You just posted three times in a row in the same thread before giving anyone a chance to respond. Take some time to gather your thoughts and you'd only have to post once.

Also, for some unknown reason, when I read your posts I picture an animated squirrel walking around and talking like they're stuck in fast forward. Maybe it's time for me to take my meds....
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Um no. Gore never looked as good as Lattimore vs top competition. Or even comes close in production, fame, potential,power, and I dare say vision as well. There is a reason everyone knows who this kid is while no one knew much or cared about Gore when he came out.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/frank-gore-1.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/marcus-lattimore-1.html
There are multiple players from Miami, who have stated unevquivocally that Frank Gore was the best running back to even play in the state of Florida. Many of the Miami guys talk about it alot actually, had he not blown out his knees what would have been. Ray Lewis has mentioned it, Portis, Santa Moss, they have all known eachother since they were litlle kids and they talk about Frank like he was a God. Its kinda cool. He must have been really something when he was in highschool, he took those jobs from Portis and Mgahee within a matter of months at The U. That is straight ballin.
Originally posted by ayleswbj11:
Um no. Gore never looked as good as Lattimore vs top competition. Or even comes close in production, fame, potential,power, and I dare say vision as well. There is a reason everyone knows who this kid is while no one knew much or cared about Gore when he came out.

There are multiple players from Miami, who have stated unevquivocally that Frank Gore was the best running back to even play in the state of Florida. Many of the Miami guys talk about it alot actually, had he not blown out his knees what would have been. Ray Lewis has mentioned it, Portis, Santa Moss, they have all known eachother since they were litlle kids and they talk about Frank like he was a God. Its kinda cool. He must have been really something when he was in highschool, he took those jobs from Portis and Mgahee within a matter of months at The U. That is straight ballin.

This

Let's put this to rest RIGHT NOW!

First of all, in the 3rd? Really???

Second, RB's with promise come out every year! Last year, people were enamoured with guys like Doug Martin, David Wilson, Ronnie Hillman, Bernard Pierce and Lamar Miller. Next year people will be talking about Jeremy Smith, Silas Redd, Jeremy Hill and Ka'deem Carey. Leading up to the draft, these players are talked about like they will be future Hall of Famers. Then the buzz dies down and it become a man's game again.

Lastly, We already have a battery of talented RB's and some contribute in more ways than one. James can return kicks and Dixon contributes on special teams. Hunter's body of work so far suggests that he will be a very good player in this league for a long time. He's sprinting and will be 100% at the start of training camp.

So why red shirt a guy who may never be as good as he was pre-injury? Great work ethic and has a chip on his shoulder, yeah, I get it. But there is simply too much risk and not enough upside, especially when you consider the fact that RB's tend to have an easier time transitioning to the pros then other positions. Why not roll with what we have and address the position again next year if need be.

The Niners are better off "red-shirting" a WR like they did with AJ last year. Or even a pass rusher, DT, or CB.

I'd rather take a risk on the Honey Badger, John Boyett, DJ Hayden, or even Lawrence Okoye. Lattimore will go undrafted!
[ Edited by doc_brown_ on Apr 20, 2013 at 1:23 PM ]
Doc Brown i am in total agreement with you on not taking Lattimore, i think it is a total waste. Lattimore at one point was a special special back. It is ashame to say but he will never be that again. He may turn out to have a decent career but he will never be special with the injury he had. Im not even talking about the first acl. This last knee injury was horrific and he will never ever be quite the same. I mentioned earlier we could take Kniles Davis who was just as highly thought of and his injuries where far less severe. Ankle and shoulder i believe. No way would i even draft Lattimore, we have fine talent at RB
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Let's put this to rest RIGHT NOW!

First of all, in the 3rd? Really???

Second, RB's with promise come out every year! Last year, people were enamoured with guys like Doug Martin, David Wilson, Ronnie Hillman, Bernard Pierce and Lamar Miller. Next year people will be talking about Jeremy Smith, Silas Redd, Jeremy Hill and Ka'deem Carey. Leading up to the draft, these players are talked about like they will be future Hall of Famers. Then the buzz dies down and it become a man's game again.

Lastly, We already have a battery of talented RB's and some contribute in more ways than one. James can return kicks and Dixon contributes on special teams. Hunter's body of work so far suggests that he will be a very good player in this league for a long time. He's sprinting and will be 100% at the start of training camp.

So why red shirt a guy who may never be as good as he was pre-injury? Great work ethic and has a chip on his shoulder, yeah, I get it. But there is simply too much risk and not enough upside, especially when you consider the fact that RB's tend to have an easier time transitioning to the pros then other positions. Why not roll with what we have and address the position again next year if need be.

The Niners are better off "red-shirting" a WR like they did with AJ last year. Or even a pass rusher, DT, or CB.

I'd rather take a risk on the Honey Badger, or John Boyett, DJ Hayden, or even Lawrence Okoye. Lattimore will go undrafted!

Well I see where you're going with that and you arte kind of right about every year there is someone. Min elast year was lamar Miller. and still wish we would have gotten him over LMJ. as he can be a featured back. With that said, to have hunter, LMJ and Lattimore for the foreseeable future would be awesome. coming into the season Lattimore was the top back. To be able to get the top back with a 3rd round pick?

Same thing with Allen and Woods. 2 of the top rated WR's coming into the season. Then all of a sudden down the boards they go.

So while we do have more pressing needs now and redshirting other positions should also be consideered. Getting a top back in the 3rd with an aging Gore on the roster just makes alot of sense.

Would beat spending a 1st on one next year or the year after. IMHO
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Doc Brown i am in total agreement with you on not taking Lattimore, i think it is a total waste. Lattimore at one point was a special special back. It is ashame to say but he will never be that again. He may turn out to have a decent career but he will never be special with the injury he had. Im not even talking about the first acl. This last knee injury was horrific and he will never ever be quite the same. I mentioned earlier we could take Kniles Davis who was just as highly thought of and his injuries where far less severe. Ankle and shoulder i believe. No way would i even draft Lattimore, we have fine talent at RB

Willis Mcgahee had the same exact injury.
Problem with Lattimore is finding a slot for him. I like the idea a lot - but we probably have to carry an extra RB on the 53 to actually keep him. (ie I think he has to be in the roster, as someone else would steal him off practice squad as soon as they lost a RB.)

If he's there at end of 3rd I'd take a chance as long as we have already drafted a DB, DL, and WR or TE.

At the moment my feeling is we should draft DB and WR/TE with the 31st and 34th - then there seems to be general feeling that there is enough depth on DL to get one at the end of the 2nd. If we then get a 2nd DB with one of the 3rds, I'd guess we can stock up on these high upside with an issue project players after that.

I just can't wait for the draft, but I love the Lattimore idea for the Gore parallel, but I know that projecting anyone going to us at 31 has complications so who knows what we'll be picking in 3rd round and later?
Originally posted by krizay:

Willis Mcgahee had the same exact injury.

Good point. We all knew gore blew both knees, he even broke his hip, had a fine career. Look what peterson did after his injury, 2000 yards 8 away from the most in a season. The medical field is better than ever and a injury like he had isn't a career ender. I say we take him let him sit mostlikely gores last year if we win the superbowl.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mrwoodz:
Problem with Lattimore is finding a slot for him. I like the idea a lot - but we probably have to carry an extra RB on the 53 to actually keep him. (ie I think he has to be in the roster, as someone else would steal him off practice squad as soon as they lost a RB.)

If he's there at end of 3rd I'd take a chance as long as we have already drafted a DB, DL, and WR or TE.

At the moment my feeling is we should draft DB and WR/TE with the 31st and 34th - then there seems to be general feeling that there is enough depth on DL to get one at the end of the 2nd. If we then get a 2nd DB with one of the 3rds, I'd guess we can stock up on these high upside with an issue project players after that.

I just can't wait for the draft, but I love the Lattimore idea for the Gore parallel, but I know that projecting anyone going to us at 31 has complications so who knows what we'll be picking in 3rd round and later?
Well that's it. if we IR him for the whole year he doesnt count towards the roster limit.

EDIT*** the problem will be making him sit for a whole year. but if we designate him to return and we get an injury by the halfway point I guess we could ahve him come back then. but players want to play if theyre healthy. and im sure he wil clearly want to play.
[ Edited by krizay on Apr 20, 2013 at 1:37 PM ]
Guys, Frank Gore missed combine but was ready for his pro day. His knees were the issue and he dropped into the 3rd.

This guy isn't ready to run on his pro day missed the combine and has the same kind of knee issues.

I'm guessing he drops to mid 4th.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Guys, Frank Gore missed combine but was ready for his pro day. His knees were the issue and he dropped into the 3rd.

This guy isn't ready to run on his pro day missed the combine and has the same kind of knee issues.

I'm guessing he drops to mid 4th.
But Gore wasnt considered one of the top backs in the draft. lattimore was considered the best.
He is the player I most want out of this draft
The avg running back's career last 2.5 years, these are not the guys you red-shirt. yes it happens in rare cases. We dont need to, I wish him the best on someone elses team.