LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 356 users in the forums

Take RB Marcus Lattimore late 3rd Round & Redshirt him

I know their situations coming out of college are similar but Lattimore is no Gore and I really think Lattimore could be special in this league. Gore is just beyond special! I don't want to even think about not having Gore here but I'd be down with taking Lattimore in the 3rd or 4th round. Having said that I don't think we'll get the chance. I think someone will reach hard for him with all the Gore comparisons floating around out there and take him late second very early third. I could be wrong and maybe he can one day be as good as our #21 but those shoes are mighty big and Lattimore has a long way to go before he is even in the conversation of someone ready to try and fill them. I grew up a huge Roger Craig fan but Gore is the best RB to ever put on the red and gold and its not even close.
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Would have been the #1 RB in the draft pre injury. I think he gets taken in the 3rd.

Won't be playing at all this year, there's very few teams who can drop a pick on a guy who won't play at all and is coming off his second cataclysmic knee injury when there are other RB's out there who can contribute immediately. The success a guy like Alfred Morris had will ensure that Lattimore drops. Teams will love his talent but will be wary of his injury history and the fact that he'll contribute absolutely nothing his first year. Talent or not, I don't see him coming off the board until the mid 4th at the earliest.

I understand that train of thought. I personally really like the kid and think he has a huge chip on his shoulder, and will play well once healthy. If any team can afford to take a flyer on him to sit the season its us, and would be a perfect fit for him.

Like i said, hunters Achilles is worrisome to me, i am not a doctor, and admit i dont know alot about injurys, but from what i understand achilles injurys are very troublesome to ever recover 100% from, and i dont see LMJ as a guy that can carry the load.

Didn't Julian Peterson have an achilles injury when he was w/ us? How was he after that?

He was never the same IMO, if it was indeed an achilles, cant remember what the injury was. I remember he was starting to break out just before that injury, after that injury, his play was sub par at best.
I'd do this in a heartbeat..
Originally posted by NinerG94:
I know their situations coming out of college are similar but Lattimore is no Gore and I really think Lattimore could be special in this league. Gore is just beyond special! I don't want to even think about not having Gore here but I'd be down with taking Lattimore in the 3rd or 4th round. Having said that I don't think we'll get the chance. I think someone will reach hard for him with all the Gore comparisons floating around out there and take him late second very early third. I could be wrong and maybe he can one day be as good as our #21 but those shoes are mighty big and Lattimore has a long way to go before he is even in the conversation of someone ready to try and fill them. I grew up a huge Roger Craig fan but Gore is the best RB to ever put on the red and gold and its not even close.

I believe we are perfectly built to take this guy. It's risk vs. reward and that payoff could be huge. If he doesn't even see the field this year, that's not a problem. As for your last point, we are definately of the same generation-- #33 would make me jump off the lazy-boy when he would get to the second level and start high-stepping.
I am still a fan of his ('91 NFCCG fumble aside) but i firmly believe Gore has made his mark as the top RB this organization has ever had. He runs with heart and if anyone deserves a ring more... it's this cat. Don't want to envision the day he hangs up his cleats.
Like him a lot in the 4th round.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/marcus-lattimore-journey-back-participate-south-carolina-pro-172057177--ncaaf.html
looks like all 32 teams were present at South Carolina's pro day, and Lattimore impressed with a very good workout.
late 3rd is too early IMO, I think he will be there late 4th
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
late 3rd is too early IMO, I think he will be there late 4th

i still think he'll be there in the 4th, but maybe early 4th before someone takes him. all it takes is one team to really like him and understand, in the big picture, the guy is an absolute STUD at running back. if his team visits go well, he might be taken in the 3rd like Frank did.
I am really pulling for this kid. I find his determination and dedication very inspiring.

Originally posted by DaManRathman:
I am really pulling for this kid. I find his determination and dedication very inspiring.

which could be a big reason why a team takes a chance on him between the 2nd or 3rd round.
Kid will be gone by the end of the second round, no later than 10 picks into the third round. He's an amazing player but more importantly he's an amazing character guy. It's a win, and he says he has no doubt he'll be playing by first half of the season.
Frank was picked with the 3rd and he had already recovered. He ran a 4.6? in the combine. His knees were still a concern which is why he dropped. This guy won't go in the 3rd. 4th at best.
Even before he was hurt, was he really considered such an amazing RB prospect? He's got this weird running style that makes me hesitant. Almost like the opposite of running violently, his running motion seems really... bendy? Like the opposite of sturdy, it's hard to describe.
Originally posted by dhp318:
Even before he was hurt, was he really considered such an amazing RB prospect? He's got this weird running style that makes me hesitant. Almost like the opposite of running violently, his running motion seems really... bendy? Like the opposite of sturdy, it's hard to describe.

when he was a freshman, people thought he'd be in the mold of Adrian Peterson.

IMO, he reminds me of a bigger Marshall Faulk.
Share 49ersWebzone