There are 167 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Take RB Marcus Lattimore late 3rd Round & Redshirt him

We redshirted our 1st round pick last year, I don't see why we wouldn't redshirt a 3rd round pick
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Most teams can't afford to redshirt a player his first year. The 49ers are stacked, few teams have the luxury to do this. I remember during Coach Walsh's tenure they had a player named Mike Sherrard, he sat an entire season and came back and produced. Before coming to the Niners he had broken his leg twice in 87 and 88 while with Dallas.

jesse sapolu didnt play his 1st 2 years w/niners due to recovery from injuries
do it
I like it, but Gore won't retire next year, he has more than that left in the tank
Originally posted by TruNinerFan:
We redshirted our 1st round pick last year, I don't see why we wouldn't redshirt a 3rd round pick

this and would give us amazing depth
would love to get him with our second 3rd rounder
I've been considering this senario as well It could be interesting.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
If Lattimore somehow falls to the late 3rd round, we should take him, let him sit all 2013, let Gore retire after next year and by 2014 we'll have a STUDD RB with amazing starter skills!!

Exactly!
Gore wants this kid http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/02/20/shared-histories-gore-has-reached-out-to-south-carolina-rb-lattimore/
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Gore wants this kid http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/02/20/shared-histories-gore-has-reached-out-to-south-carolina-rb-lattimore/

I don't know if he wants him here considering if Lattimore is drafted, it could be interpreted as a sign that he is being shown the door. I don't think it is a guarantee that Gore retires after his contract expires in 2014. Could the 49ers keep them all (Gore, Hunter, James, and Lattimore) after 2014? It really depends on how much longer Gore wants to play and money. I do believe he could take handing the reigns over the a guy like Lattimore considering the similarities in their college careers. If he is there at 93, and he should be available, I want the 49ers to draft him.
I'm pretty sure he's still walking on crutchs. This would a risky pick and I would rather not take away from an early round pick that could contribute to next years run. It he can do that great. If he isn't playing for a year then I wouldn't mind a 4-7th pick. Its a gamble. This guy has already blown out one knee and he bounced back but this injury was probably one of worst in the modern era. ACL MCL PCL LCL I don't think theres very many Ls left. It all comes down to the team docs I guess.
Originally posted by eonblue:
I'm pretty sure he's still walking on crutchs. This would a risky pick and I would rather not take away from an early round pick that could contribute to next years run. It he can do that great. If he isn't playing for a year then I wouldn't mind a 4-7th pick. Its a gamble. This guy has already blown out one knee and he bounced back but this injury was probably one of worst in the modern era. ACL MCL PCL LCL I don't think theres very many Ls left. It all comes down to the team docs I guess.

Did he really tear all 4. If so, that's crazy but I think McGahee tore three. Even though, we have 3 3rds and 14 overall (maybe 15 ;)) so we can afford to take a risk like this (or the honey badger).
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Did he really tear all 4. If so, that's crazy but I think McGahee tore three. Even though, we have 3 3rds and 14 overall (maybe 15 ;)) so we can afford to take a risk like this (or the honey badger).

Yea I was watching the game when it happened. Completely separated his knee. Mcgahee tore the ACL MCL LCL. The rehabilitation for these injuries really are miraculous. We can afford the gamble and honestly I wouldn't be angry if we picked him but I want us to find some quality depth. We need to retool for next years run. I mean if your wanting to get first round talent at a discount I would much more prefer Cornellius Caradine or Brandon Jenkins. Both were top 5 pass rusher before their injuries. Jenkins had an ACL tear and Carradine a Lisfranc. We could easily pick up either of them with Caro pick and Aldon Smith + another top 5 pass rusher sounds a lot better than latti.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

I don't know if he wants him here considering if Lattimore is drafted, it could be interpreted as a sign that he is being shown the door. I don't think it is a guarantee that Gore retires after his contract expires in 2014. Could the 49ers keep them all (Gore, Hunter, James, and Lattimore) after 2014? It really depends on how much longer Gore wants to play and money. I do believe he could take handing the reigns over the a guy like Lattimore considering the similarities in their college careers. If he is there at 93, and he should be available, I want the 49ers to draft him.

For me there are three reasons to drafting the replacment for gore.

1. Injury insurance
2. Hunters achilles injury is worrisome.
3. LMJ does not seem like a back that can carry a large load.

I think gore has a few more years left, but he will begin to see reduced carries as time goes on. The benefit of having a guy like lattimore, is you have no rush to start him. Allow him to fully recover, then after a season of sitting he can begin to share carries. If gore wants to continue to play after his contract, he will come back for a fair price. he wont want to play for another team, and there is always room on a roster for guys like gore.. When gore finally desides its time to retire the transition is hopefully seamless with no drop off in production.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Would have been the #1 RB in the draft pre injury. I think he gets taken in the 3rd.

Won't be playing at all this year, there's very few teams who can drop a pick on a guy who won't play at all and is coming off his second cataclysmic knee injury when there are other RB's out there who can contribute immediately. The success a guy like Alfred Morris had will ensure that Lattimore drops. Teams will love his talent but will be wary of his injury history and the fact that he'll contribute absolutely nothing his first year. Talent or not, I don't see him coming off the board until the mid 4th at the earliest.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home