There are 127 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Scenario: Keenan Allen falls to #31

Scenario: Keenan Allen falls to #31

Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by 5280High:
He's no longer a lock for the 1st, but those thinking he will drop out of the second round are just crazy.

Forrealdoe

Crazier things have happened in the draft, especially when it comes to slow/injured WRs. That said, I was a bit harsh in my recent comments and think the 2nd round is where he'll get picked.
When I watch that video of his highlights, I'm not sure what everyone is so excited about. The Niners already have a receiver like him, but a lot better in Crabtree. With a draft so heavy in defensive talent and a defense that desperately needs some tweaking, why on earth would they spend a 1 or a 2 on a guy who isn't any better than Michael Crabtree? I don't get it.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 14,924
Originally posted by GNielsen:
When I watch that video of his highlights, I'm not sure what everyone is so excited about. The Niners already have a receiver like him, but a lot better in Crabtree. With a draft so heavy in defensive talent and a defense that desperately needs some tweaking, why on earth would they spend a 1 or a 2 on a guy who isn't any better than Michael Crabtree? I don't get it.

I dont get why people think you need different components at the WR position. Tall one, fast one and possession one. I just dont get it. i'll take 2 crabtrees any day of the week. he can run all routes. no he can't "take the top off of a defense" But scheme can do the same thing. We have one of the best schemers in the business. The myth of needing that burner to take the top off is just crazy. as is drafting a 6'4 or taller guy for the red zone.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 14,924
and after watching these highlights no way he's a 4.7 guy
FWIW, Kiper currently has him going 40th overall to the Titans.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2013/04/10/name-dropping-with-mel-kiper-on-potential-49ers-picks/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29
we no need a wr.
Yes I would. Because how long does bold play for us? What about manningham & Williams returning from injury and Jenkins? He's a big bodied wr who is talented.
Not a single pundit that has commented on his proday believes he is a 4.7 guy, they all say on tape he is a 4.55-4.6 guy. After all the midget WR trash talk, if zoners want a big WR who will go up and fight for the ball and bring it in the red zone... this is the guy. But instead people will focus on Hunter who would get manhandled by Seattles DBs. I wouldnt be dissapointed if we passed on him at 31 because of our safety needs, but if we pass on him at 34 while hes on the board... it would definitely be a wtf moment IMO.

Crabtree is gonna be a pain to deal with in negotiations, AB is here for one year, MM has 1 year left, AJ is unproven, and KW is a slot guy. In two years none of these guys except for AJ might be on the team. There is a need for WR depth for the future just as much as the D-line.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 14,924
Originally posted by 5280High:
Not a single pundit that has commented on his proday believes he is a 4.7 guy, they all say on tape he is a 4.55-4.6 guy. After all the midget WR trash talk, if zoners want a big WR who will go up and fight for the ball and bring it in the red zone... this is the guy. But instead people will focus on Hunter who would get manhandled by Seattles DBs. I wouldnt be dissapointed if we passed on him at 31 because of our safety needs, but if we pass on him at 34 while hes on the board... it would definitely be a wtf moment IMO.

Crabtree is gonna be a pain to deal with in negotiations, AB is here for one year, MM has 1 year left, AJ is unproven, and KW is a slot guy. In two years none of these guys except for AJ might be on the team. There is a need for WR depth for the future just as much as the D-line.

Exactly! and it takes WR a lil bit longer. Where as a DT is a plug and play guy. So if we wait for WR to be a dire need. We very well may have to wait another year on top of drafting him.

Whether we draft a DT or WR they both will be reserves waiting for their shot to play. We WILL need a WR next year regardless. give me a talented WR now and give him a year of experience. then get that dominate plug and play DT later. We can get a rotational DT end of 2nd early 3rd.
We can't be complacent with an old Anquan Boldin and a "TBD" A.J. Jenkins. The rumor that Mario Manningham wont be ready for the start of the season is more than enough of a red flag not to rely on him to be at 100% until the later portion of the season. So what does that leave CK7 with besides Crabtree? Kyle Williams I sense will return to full speed much quicker than expected but even so he isn't a starting receiver. Let's stock up with our local kid Keenan Allen! He someone that will grow with our offense and love the 49ers despite the fact he grew up liking the Redskins.

Keenan Allen as option A and Kyle Williams as option B give us a great deal of comfort should something go wrong Anquan and AJ. Makes perfect sense!

id take him with our early 2nd if hes there, hes not gonna fall too much later than that
Originally posted by krizay:
I dont get why people think you need different components at the WR position. Tall one, fast one and possession one. I just dont get it. i'll take 2 crabtrees any day of the week. he can run all routes. no he can't "take the top off of a defense" But scheme can do the same thing. We have one of the best schemers in the business. The myth of needing that burner to take the top off is just crazy. as is drafting a 6'4 or taller guy for the red zone.

Co-signed. Not sure why people have this notion that you need all these different types of receivers. I'll take three Crabtree's and be damned happy with it, the amount of teams that can defend one guy like Crabtree isn't all that many to begin with. The important thing is to have talent and Allen has tons of it, I see him falling just like Boldin did and just like Boldin, he'll be a damned good receiver in the NFL.
Originally posted by H41L5ATAN:
We can't be complacent with an old Anquan Boldin and a "TBD" A.J. Jenkins. The rumor that Mario Manningham wont be ready for the start of the season is more than enough of a red flag not to rely on him to be at 100% until the later portion of the season. So what does that leave CK7 with besides Crabtree? Kyle Williams I sense will return to full speed much quicker than expected but even so he isn't a starting receiver. Let's stock up with our local kid Keenan Allen! He someone that will grow with our offense and love the 49ers despite the fact he grew up liking the Redskins.

Keenan Allen as option A and Kyle Williams as option B give us a great deal of comfort should something go wrong Anquan and AJ. Makes perfect sense!



Well said !! That's what I have been saying all along. I would just like to add into the mix the bigger argument of "defense doesn't win championships" anymore. My approach will be to draft offensive players for the top 2 picks. WR at 31st and TE at 34th. The only thing I would say is I would pick Justin Hunter instead of Keenan Allen cos I believe we need a tall legit deep threat wideout to help us to stretch the field to make full use of Kaep's arm strength in giving us another dimension to our offense. Keenan Allen is more of a catch and run type receiver. Justin Hunter with his height advantage and atheltic prowess (he is also a track and field star who can clear 7' in high jump), he is perfectly built for going up top to compete for the ball in making huge plays for us.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Not a single pundit that has commented on his proday believes he is a 4.7 guy, they all say on tape he is a 4.55-4.6 guy. After all the midget WR trash talk, if zoners want a big WR who will go up and fight for the ball and bring it in the red zone... this is the guy. But instead people will focus on Hunter who would get manhandled by Seattles DBs. I wouldnt be dissapointed if we passed on him at 31 because of our safety needs, but if we pass on him at 34 while hes on the board... it would definitely be a wtf moment IMO.

Crabtree is gonna be a pain to deal with in negotiations, AB is here for one year, MM has 1 year left, AJ is unproven, and KW is a slot guy. In two years none of these guys except for AJ might be on the team. There is a need for WR depth for the future just as much as the D-line.


I think the trend of people bashing Allen and then backing Hunter is an absolute joke. To me, Hunter has bust written all over him. BRB, 6'4" receiver built like an NBA point guard, perfectly ripe for being manhandled and b***h-slapped around by Seattle's defensive backs, a guy who is an absolute body catcher who got away with it in college football but struggles to make catches away from his body and won't get away with it in the NFL. BRB, run-heavy team drafting a guy who can't and won't run block. If all you needed to succeed as a WR in the NFL was to be 6'4", Chaz Schilens would be an absolute stud of a receiver.


I'd imagine that Justin Hunter is quite a ways down the list of draftable wide receivers for the 49ers.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 11, 2013 at 1:28 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think the trend of people bashing Allen and then backing Hunter is an absolute joke. To me, Hunter has bust written all over him. BRB, 6'4" receiver built like an NBA point guard, perfectly ripe for being manhandled and b***h-slapped around by Seattle's defensive backs, a guy who is an absolute body catcher who got away with it in college football but struggles to make catches away from his body and won't get away with it in the NFL. BRB, run-heavy team drafting a guy who can't and won't run block. If all you needed to succeed as a WR in the NFL was to be 6'4", Chaz Schilens would be an absolute stud of a receiver.


I'd imagine that Justin Hunter is quite a ways down the list of draftable wide receivers for the 49ers.


I am not bashing Allen. We are just talking about 2 types of receivers that's all. For me, I am looking for a legit deep threat wideout who can go up top to compete for the ball. Allen is more of a catch and run receiver in my opinion. Whether Hunter is down on 9ers' list it doesn't matter, it is just my personal opinion. At the end of the day, we are just fans and we can't control who the 9ers are going to pick.