LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

RB Rex Burkhead, Nebraska

If this thread already exists, I apologize,, and please merge. If not, I'd like to get the WZ thoughts about Rex. Here is the pre-scouting combine write up on him from NFL.com.

RB Rex Burkhead Nebraska Big Ten

Grade 66.5
5'11" Height
210LBS. Weight
Overview There's a lot to like about Rex Burkhead. His production on the field is exceptional, even as defenses load up the box to stop Nebraska's option rush attack, but his work in the classroom and the community are also impressive. The 2011 CoSIDA Academic All-American earned national attention for his relationship with a young cancer patient who is among his biggest fans – and has done other service work for which he's received no special notice, which is probably just fine with him.

The Dallas Morning News' All-Area Offensive Player of the Year as a high school senior in Plano, Texas (1,762 rushing yards, 28 touchdowns) brought his game to Lincoln instead of staying in the Longhorn State. As a true freshman, he averaged six carries over the first five games, but then suffered a foot injury that cost him five games. However, he returned for the last month of the season, hitting the 100-yard mark exactly against Colorado and finishing with 346 yards and three scores for the year. His workload also increased as his sophomore year wore on (two starts while playing in all 14 games, 951 yards, seven TD) and he became a part of the passing game (15 receptions, 148 yards) while garnering honorable mention All-Big 12 honors. He graduated to first-team All-Big Ten in the Huskers' first year in the conference, covering 1.357 yards and scoring 15 times (with 21-177, 2 TD receiving).

Analysis
Strengths Slasher who uses his foot quickness to find his way through traffic to move the chains. In one-back or two-back sets, can start with the flow then cut back into a running lane, spinning through trash on his way to consistent four or five-yard rushes. His lateral quickness comes into play when penetrating defenders look to corral him; somehow he finds a way to cut left or right to run away from their waiting arms. Flashes open-field speed, as well, to regularly rack up 20-25 yard runs if his line gives him a lane. There's no questioning his toughness, carries the mail 30 times a game and gives great effort trying to use his good lean to plow through arm tackles for extra yardage. Not used as a receiver very often, but his solid hands, quickness and agility will make him a valued weapon in the passing game. Those hands make him a solid safety valve punt returner, as well, even if he hasn't yet shown explosiveness in that duty.

Weaknesses Not the most powerful of backs, NFL defenders will stone him at the point of attack more regularly than their college counterparts because of his average lower-body strength. Leggy runner who can look out of control at times, though he usually manages to keep his balance. His pass protection form is inconsistent; sometimes he will hold his ground and throw a shoulder into a blitzer, but veteran rushers will easily elude his attempts to lie at their feet. NFL Comparison Mewelde Moore Bottom Line Burkhead is a high-motor, high-character back who does everything coaches ask of him. The first-team All-Big Ten pick (1,357 rushing yards, 15 touchdowns in 2011) possesses the quickness and strength to be a solid NFL reserve back capable of contributing as a receiver and blocker, as well as stepping into a starting role when the team needs him.
[ Edited by Beeker on Feb 20, 2013 at 3:27 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
This guy is a pure football player.. I really do like him.. He reminds me so much of that #40 (Browns).. It's just we really don't have a space and Burkhead would need to touch the ball often in order to be productive..

Miller is bonafide FB in my opinion and we are using him perfectly... The question is, can we afford to keep another FB on our roster knowing that we uses a couple of DLs when we need to?
Originally posted by 9moon:
This guy is a pure football player.. I really do like him.. He reminds me so much of that #40 (Browns).. It's just we really don't have a space and Burkhead would need to touch the ball often in order to be productive..

Miller is bonafide FB in my opinion and we are using him perfectly... The question is, can we afford to keep another FB on our roster knowing that we uses a couple of DLs when we need to?

Burkhead isn't really a FB, but I could see him being used as one. He's an H-back if you had to classify him. I could see him making the 53 as a special teams player at best with the depth we have at RB right now. Will Hunter be back at 100%? Will we keep Jewell Hampton? Will Dixon play hard enough again in camp/pre-season to keep his job yet again? Lots of questions once you get past Gore/James. And believe me, he has a motor that doesn't know quit. He had a bum knee for the last 2 seaons, and he played through a LOT of pain his senior season. He routinely breaks off 10-15 yards runs 6 or 7 time as game, and has the wheels to break off long runs easily. Personally, I would LOVE to see him as a 49er, considering the success the team has had with RB's from Nebraska.
[ Edited by Beeker on Feb 21, 2013 at 1:26 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone