There are 127 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Cooper Mock Draft 4.0 (Pre-Combine

We get a 4th round comp. pick (I'm not going to bother with the 7th rounders)
We also get the Chief's 3rd round pick for Alex Smith and a 6th round pick

Trade our 1st round pick, Kansas City 3rd, and a 2014 2nd round pick for a mid-late teens pick
1. Kenny Vaccaro, FS/SS. 6-2, 215. University of Texas
Big, athletic safety with great coverage skills and also very good against the run. Can cover the deep part of the field extremely well (which was our biggest problem in the playoffs). And NO, this is not Goldson's replacement. It's Donte Whitner's replacement and I'm assuming we resign Goldson..

2. Logan Ryan, CB. 6-0, 190. Rutgers
Athletic corner who can come in and compete in the secondary right away. Perrish Cox got way too many snaps this past season due to many teams in the NFL going to the spread offense. Cox in today's NFL is a number 5 corner at best. Ryan will compete for the 3rd corner spot right away, and will definitely come in on downs when the offense spreads out 4 wide..

3a. Quinton Patton, WR. 6-0, 202. Louisiana Tech
I'm getting more and more sold on this guy every time I hear about him. Has a Jerry Rice-esque work ethic with great quickness, hands, and good deep ball ability. Would be good value in the beginning of the 3rd round..

3b. Dion Sims, TE. 6-5, 285. Michigan State
Big, muscular tight end who is a great blocker and has surprising quickness with good hands. He would allow Vernon to go out on more routes instead of staying in to pass block. In addition to that, he will also be a quality receiving threat when called upon who can become a great red-zone target..

4a. Joe Kruger, 3-4 DE. 6-7 280. Utah
Will be quality D-line depth that can contribute right away and rotate in to spell the starters. Could possibly replace Justin Smith..

4b. Brian Schwenke, C. 6-3, 307. Cal
Really improved his stock after the senior bowl. Goodwin won't be re-signed after next year and I think this guy can develop and eventually start..

5a. Montori Hughes, NT. 6-4, 327. Tennessee Martin
Has all the talent, but has questionable intangibles. Could become a huge steal with our high-character locker room. He's very big and strong and is extremely quick off the snap. Very good pass rushing ability for a man his size who is a clog in the run game..

5b. Matt Scott, QB. 6-3, 196. Arizona
Future back-up QB who fits the system much better than Tolzien. I know Kaepernick avoids contact as much as possible, but he is very injury prone due to this offense and a good back-up QB is much more essential than some might think..

Trade a 6th rounder and a 7th rounder for a late 5th round pick
5c. Dustin Hopkins, K. 6-2, 190. Florida State
A consistent, confident, and talented kicker is essential. Akers is gone..

6. Quanterus Smith, 3-4 OLB. 6-5, 249. Western Kentucky
A great pass rusher who falls due to an ACL tear. Exceptional talent this late in the draft and would be a great situational pass rusher..

7a. Rick Wagner, OT. 6-6, 310. Wisconsin
Falls heavily in this draft due to a poor senior season and an uncertainty of a future postion. Could turn out to be a quality backup Tackle, or possibly Guard..

7b. Brandon Kaufman, WR. 6-4 215. Eastern Washington
One of my favorite sleeper receivers who is big, has good ability to go up and get the ball. He also has very good quickness for a receiver his size..

Wanted to be a little different with the first round pick for this mock draft. Many people want Datone Jones in the first, but he may not even fall, and in my opinion, someone who can cover the deep part of the field is a bigger need.
Love the Quanterus Smith pick. He'd be a great backup to Aldon, playing a similar role in college to what A. Smith does for the Niners - a lot of stand up on the edge and get after it! And great late round selection with high upside, considering he (surprisingly) has a huge chance to go undrafted! Hughes could be something special, but could be a bust. Reasonable to take a chance in the 5th, and Ricky Wagner is my favorite in the class to back up Davis (finally depth at RT!). In all, good picks. A reasonable draft, although I didn't like that you traded up into the top 15....
Kaufman is my favorite late round sleeper too. If he has a great 40 time at the combine though he'll shoot up boards possibly a couple rounds.
Would like to see more focus on the DL, but I like the players you went with. I'd love to come away with your top 4 selections.
Seriously? Don't address the D-line til the 4th round? Are you fu_king kidding me? Spend a 1st on a SS to replace Whitner?!? No way that'll happen!! There's no chance on earth that our front office won't address our D-line with two of our top 3 picks. We will not be taking a TE in the 3rd. I remember last season there was lively debates around here because fans (not me) wanted to draft a TE - Cody Fleener - in the first. Unless Walker leaves I don't think TE is a high priority. And if he does we still won't need to draft a TE that early, especially not before we address DT/NT and DE, as they bigger needs than TE. We already have 3 good ones. (I think we find a we to re-sign Walker.) I cannot imagine us drafting a QB to be a backup. We can address that through FA. I like the kickers selection, and the Logan Ryan pick in the 2nd. In one of my mock scenarios I have us taking him there. (Won't release my mock til after the combine.) But you can bet that this draft will be heavy on the defensive side of the ball, especially in early rounds. Overall, I have to give you a C- on this mock.
Spending the 2 picks to address the secondary in my opinion would be foolish. When Aldon was on a tear and had 2 sacks every game, the secondary was just fine. Its a matter of keeping the DL guys rotated and rested. I think DL should be the priority here.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Seriously? Don't address the D-line til the 4th round? Are you fu_king kidding me? Spend a 1st on a SS to replace Whitner?!? No way that'll happen!! There's no chance on earth that our front office won't address our D-line with two of our top 3 picks. We will not be taking a TE in the 3rd. I remember last season there was lively debates around here because fans (not me) wanted to draft a TE - Cody Fleener - in the first. Unless Walker leaves I don't think TE is a high priority. And if he does we still won't need to draft a TE that early, especially not before we address DT/NT and DE, as they bigger needs than TE. We already have 3 good ones. (I think we find a we to re-sign Walker.) I cannot imagine us drafting a QB to be a backup. We can address that through FA. I like the kickers selection, and the Logan Ryan pick in the 2nd. In one of my mock scenarios I have us taking him there. (Won't release my mock til after the combine.) But you can bet that this draft will be heavy on the defensive side of the ball, especially in early rounds. Overall, I have to give you a C- on this mock.

chill
I actually like the draft. I think some better WR's at later picks are available, but you need to address our DL.
Originally posted by bigwads:
I actually like the draft. I think some better WR's at later picks are available, but you need to address our DL.

I was just trying to be a little different. All the mock drafts on here are always pretty much the same and when has Baalke ever drafted what is expected? I tried to address DL with 2 prospects who could become starters. Don't forget we have Dobbs, Williams, and RJF who all have potential