There are 107 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Eonblues pre-combine mock draft 2.0

Originally posted by btthepunk:
Yeah, no way we get the 33rd (34th) pick for Alex Smith.
Jones, Hunter, and Williams are my favorite players at their positions in the draft.

I think it reasonable to say the Chiefs get AS plus the niners second round pick pick 62, and the niners get pick 34. Win win for both, as the niners get two top 34 picks and the chiefs get a qb plus keep a second round pick.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
We already have the best punter in the league.

This, Andy Lee is signed through like 2050........considering how rarely punters get hurt, that is the last position I'd look at drafting.
Love what you did for the DLine - IMO, the best in the Zone so far
Datone Jones, Brandon William, William Gholston combined w/Justin, RJF would be a REAL rotation.

I liked either Hopkins or Sturgis and you chose Sturgis - good move.

The only pick I disagreed with was for a Punter. NBD

Thanks for the work, VERY good draft!
That is NOT a good video of William Gholston.

If that's a typical game for this kid, we should pass. His pass rush technique is pretty bad. Watch the video... his attempts at the spin move are poorly executed. A good spin is executed by getting into the blocker, almost sitting down on his knee/thigh, and drop-stepping (much like in basketball) around him so that he can't side step to block your path. Gholston spins at more than arms length from the blocker.

Also, he doesn't use his hands well in the bull-rush. He get's locked up with the tackle and can't break free. A good pass rusher uses his hands to keep the blocker's hands off of his chest (Aldon Smith is very good at this). Gholston obviously doesn't know how to use his hands. If you get locked up, your only chance is to overpower an OT that is likely bigger and stronger than you.

He seems to get off the line well, and has a good frame. But technically, he won't make it in the NFL without lots of good coaching and time to master techniques that many rookies already know coming into the league.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
I liked the draft. I did not like two kickers and we need a punt returner as well.

One of them is.a.pointer. Brad Wing. He had an average of 44.5 yards per punt. I've watched him for a couple of years and he keeps.the opponent.beyond the.20. I figured with all these picks we could afford. I thought about Ace Sanders or tyrann Matheu as kr but i just didn't post it. We definitely need one. Lmj can fulfill those duties though.

I want Ace Sanders South Carolina in the 3rd or 4th round. Upgrade to our Punt & Kick off return game!
This Matt Maiocco article explains perfectly why this mock draft or something like it is a very good bet as to what they're going to do:

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/why-49ers-pass-defense-faltered-playoffs
Originally posted by blm7754:
That is NOT a good video of William Gholston.

If that's a typical game for this kid, we should pass. His pass rush technique is pretty bad. Watch the video... his attempts at the spin move are poorly executed. A good spin is executed by getting into the blocker, almost sitting down on his knee/thigh, and drop-stepping (much like in basketball) around him so that he can't side step to block your path. Gholston spins at more than arms length from the blocker.

Also, he doesn't use his hands well in the bull-rush. He get's locked up with the tackle and can't break free. A good pass rusher uses his hands to keep the blocker's hands off of his chest (Aldon Smith is very good at this). Gholston obviously doesn't know how to use his hands. If you get locked up, your only chance is to overpower an OT that is likely bigger and stronger than you.

He seems to get off the line well, and has a good frame. But technically, he won't make it in the NFL without lots of good coaching and time to master techniques that many rookies already know coming into the league.

His rawness will actually be his strength. He's playing on the shoulder of the tackle in this video. He's an edge rusher. He wont have to be doing spin moves and bull rushes in space when he moves to the 5 tec. I agree with what you saying but the video was not a highlight it's a vs. It showcases his speed and strength. Hes playing against a top3 tackle too.
[ Edited by eonblue on Feb 19, 2013 at 1:21 PM ]
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
I like the cut of your gib Eon, but I strongly question bringing back Soap and RJF, plus drafting Dline in three of our first 4 picks. D-line is a major need but thats overkill. Your going to have nine guys on the roster at three positions. I am assuming your going to cut guys that are there now....but still we have other needs. Then you also did nothing about Wideout. We will likely lose Ginn and Moss, and Williams and Rio are no locks to be on the gameday roster for week one...and if they are may not be 100%. Crabs, Jenkins and the practice squad isnt going to cut it. Also we probably need a thrid qb more than we need a punter this year...no team carries a second string punter even if he is good.

All in all I cant complain about any particular player you grab..I like your choices...I just think we need to address depth in a few places and although you hit our biggest need you focused on it so hard you ignored any others.

The reason for resigning both Sopo and RJF is I wouldn't fill confidant asking a draft class to come in and start auto. Datone and Gholston are slightly undersized as well. Sopo is only a one year contract to Williams learns the system and Smith retires after this season and we have to have someone that can fill his shoes and instead of relying on the two products on the draft we have RJF. I didn't think about the hole at WR either. Im going to have to address it FA next mock. Im optimistic rio will be back somewhere at the beginning of the season. I also think hunter could step in day one and make a difference but Harbaugh wouldn't bank on these things so some WR depth is needed.