There are 296 users in the forums

FS Kenny Vaccaro in the 1st?

Needs to run a slow 40 time. Just too quick to make it outside the top 25 picks
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
Would definitely have to trade up to get Vaccaro. I'd love to resign Goldson move him to SS and draft Vaccaro to replace Whitner.

You our on point brother, Whitner is just a small ILB dude has to go.
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
Would definitely have to trade up to get Vaccaro. I'd love to resign Goldson move him to SS and draft Vaccaro to replace Whitner.

You our on point brother, Whitner is just a small ILB dude has to go. Also any one of the SS from Georgia or trade up to get FS Eric Reed
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Needs to run a slow 40 time. Just too quick to make it outside the top 25 picks

How about trading up especially with 15 picks we got assuming we trade alex smith? Vaccarro is surely a ready to start player & Cheaper than Goldson.
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
How about trading up especially with 15 picks we got assuming we trade alex smith? Vaccarro is surely a ready to start player & Cheaper than Goldson.

Too many safeties in this draft to trade away a bunch of picks to move up, if not Vaccaro then Elam, Cyprien or Phillip Thomas or Baccari Rambo, JJ Wilcox....etc. I don't expect the 49ers to cut Whitner this year, but I also don't expect them to make a major effort to re-sign him after his contract is up at the end of next season, so finding a guy who can provide depth and assist on special teams and then take over as a starter in a year is important.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Too many safeties in this draft to trade away a bunch of picks to move up, if not Vaccaro then Elam, Cyprien or Phillip Thomas or Baccari Rambo, JJ Wilcox....etc. I don't expect the 49ers to cut Whitner this year, but I also don't expect them to make a major effort to re-sign him after his contract is up at the end of next season, so finding a guy who can provide depth and assist on special teams and then take over as a starter in a year is important.

Vaccaro is the best imo then Eric Reid but Vaccaro has just the it factor others don't. Not a fan of Elam & now Cyprien is injured.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I would rather go S in the second or third. Its a pretty strong class IMO.

This is my thought too. There's going to be a couple guys picked in Rounds 2 or 3 that end up as the best overall safeties from this draft, so much depth at that position its kind of sick. Realistically they could even add 2 safeties if it looks like they'll be losing Goldson.
Vaccaro is the best imo then Eric Reid but Vaccaro has just the it factor others don't. Not a fan of Elam & now Cyprien is injured.

I like Elam, he's an all-everything kind of safety, does a lot of things well. Phillip Thomas is a great ballhawking safety/centerfielder type of player. Rambo is more or less Dashon Goldson, hard hitter, playmaker, can play deep or closer to the line of scrimmage. JJ Wilcox might be the best one out of all of them, he's got very strong man to man cover skills, covers like a cornerback and is still quite raw as he switched from WR/RB.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
Would much rather draft Matt Elam in the first. Elam fits the mold of our scheme.
Sign a veteran like Chris Clemons (or someone else) who will likely be a little cheaper than Goldson then draft a safety to develop somewhere in the 2nd-4th round.

Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by English:
Not my first choice of positions to take with our 1st.

take the BPA - don't worry about position. The only positions we're set at is starting QB, Guards, and ILBs.

I like the BPA draft philosophy, but it really boils down to best draft value over a whole draft. Because safety is a deep position this draft, the best value for us in all probability would be to take a safety in round 2 or 3, depending on how far good prospects fall, leaving us to fill another position of need but with less supply. With the 1st round pick. D Linemen or 3/4 OLBs spring to mind.
15 reps @225

by comparison, Richard Sherman (a corner) 26.

I'm sorry but that's weak for a safety. Good luck tackling tight ends or big rb's with that kind of upper body strength. Might be a player but not a legit prospect as an elite safety IMO.
4.59 40 and the 15 reps is really gonna hurt his stock. I'll pass on this guy
Vaccaro won't be there at 31. I want Robert Lester and we probably get him in the third or fourth round.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I like Elam, he's an all-everything kind of safety, does a lot of things well. Phillip Thomas is a great ballhawking safety/centerfielder type of player. Rambo is more or less Dashon Goldson, hard hitter, playmaker, can play deep or closer to the line of scrimmage. JJ Wilcox might be the best one out of all of them, he's got very strong man to man cover skills, covers like a cornerback and is still quite raw as he switched from WR/RB.

My only concern with Elam is will his size make him a liability against tight ends.
Share 49ersWebzone