LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

Combine thread

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Really like what little I have seen in Washington. Where do you expect him to go now? I saw him listed as a 7th but looks like at least a mid rounder. .. not that I am the expert

I think he is right at the back end of the third round, but with the potential to go higher. Great Senior Bowl week and great combine. Violent pass rush attact during Senior Bowl practices. Gave some of the better OT's a real challenge.

Considering his strength, he looks like he can translate to a 3-4 DE or OLB. Agree? Eitherway, it solves a need for us.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Feb 27, 2013 at 11:56 AM ]
Considering his strength does he looks like he can translate to a 3-4 DE or OLB. Agree? Eitherway, it solves a need for us.

I like him going forward more than reverse, but he does have experience playing in both the 34 and 43 defenses. Love the heavy hands, and players who excel at both the Senior Bowl week and combine really have a strong history of success. The team can use him as a situation pass rusher at first. I still think the Niners should put Aldon inside more often during passing downs, and this may allow Washington to be on the field in these situations.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Considering his strength does he looks like he can translate to a 3-4 DE or OLB. Agree? Eitherway, it solves a need for us.

I like him going forward more than reverse, but he does have experience playing in both the 34 and 43 defenses. Love the heavy hands, and players who excel at both the Senior Bowl week and combine really have a strong history of success. The team can use him as a situation pass rusher at first. I still think the Niners should put Aldon inside more often during passing downs, and this may allow Washington to be on the field in these situations.

I was hoping he could be a slash player... OLB / DE...Need someone who can fill in for Justin and Aldon/Brooks....what's more, I think he's a special teams guy.
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I like Rhodes for several reasons, not the least of which is his size...he'd matchup well against the bigger WR's we face just about every Sunday. A guy that size who can run that well is hard to find. Switching positions, a WR I'm very impressed with is Robert Woods from USC. Saw him play and he was impressive...seeing him master the drills and catch everything in sight didn't do anything to disuade me from liking him a lot. He's got his explosion back after being hampered by ankle injuries during the season. As for DL, I'm not all excited about either Hunt or Datone Jones...the former's still very raw and personally I wouldn't spend a 1st rd pick on him. Jones is a very good player, but not the size I think we need. Instead, I'd opt for Jesse Williams, Sylvester Williams, or Jenkins. Hankins is still a beast, although he ran a very slow 5.31 X 40. We need size, strength and versatility...if I read another post or article about getting this NT or that, I think I'll scream. As evidenced by Sopoaga's 30% or so snaps played, we don't need a freakin' NT...we need bigs who can play anywhere on the DL. Lack of same cost our defense dearly when JS got hurt. No mas! I'd also include a FA in the mix...Randy Starks would work very well. Cap space is freed up as soon as Alex is traded.

Right on! +1

For those that think we don't need a NT because Sopoaga only plays 30%, you trippin!!

If we had a Haloti Ngata type player, or Vince Wilfork type player, he would play way more than 30% and be worth his weight in gold by what he would do for our legendary LB core

EDIT-- Granted, I named two NT that do play anywhere on the line
[ Edited by Big_Daddy on Feb 27, 2013 at 12:42 PM ]
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I like Rhodes for several reasons, not the least of which is his size...he'd matchup well against the bigger WR's we face just about every Sunday. A guy that size who can run that well is hard to find. Switching positions, a WR I'm very impressed with is Robert Woods from USC. Saw him play and he was impressive...seeing him master the drills and catch everything in sight didn't do anything to disuade me from liking him a lot. He's got his explosion back after being hampered by ankle injuries during the season. As for DL, I'm not all excited about either Hunt or Datone Jones...the former's still very raw and personally I wouldn't spend a 1st rd pick on him. Jones is a very good player, but not the size I think we need. Instead, I'd opt for Jesse Williams, Sylvester Williams, or Jenkins. Hankins is still a beast, although he ran a very slow 5.31 X 40. We need size, strength and versatility...if I read another post or article about getting this NT or that, I think I'll scream. As evidenced by Sopoaga's 30% or so snaps played, we don't need a freakin' NT...we need bigs who can play anywhere on the DL. Lack of same cost our defense dearly when JS got hurt. No mas! I'd also include a FA in the mix...Randy Starks would work very well. Cap space is freed up as soon as Alex is traded.

Right on! +1

For those that think we don't need a NT because Sopoaga only plays 30%, you trippin!!

If we had a Haloti Ngata type player, or Vince Wilfork type player, he would play way more than 30% and be worth his weight in gold by what he would do for our legendary LB core

EDIT-- Granted, I named two NT that do play anywhere on the line

There are no Ngatas or Wilforks in this draft. I can't think of one NT in this draft that consistently scares me as a pass rusher who has the conditioning to be a three down guy. Hankins is quick, but he looked ready to tap out after the Combine drills. Star Lotulelei can push the pocket, but I don't see him beating anyone w/speed or quickness.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
There are no Ngatas or Wilforks in this draft. I can't think of one NT in this draft that consistently scares me as a pass rusher who has the conditioning to be a three down guy. Hankins is quick, but he looked ready to tap out after the Combine drills. Star Lotulelei can push the pocket, but I don't see him beating anyone w/speed or quickness.

In 42 games, Brandon Williams, a potential nose tackle, had 27 sacks and 50,5 tackles for a loss.

In 51 games, Datone Jones, a potential defensive end, had 12.5 sacks and 36.5 tackles for a loss.
Originally posted by buck:

In 42 games, Brandon Williams, a potential nose tackle, had 27 sacks and 50,5 tackles for a loss.

In 51 games, Datone Jones, a potential defensive end, had 12.5 sacks and 36.5 tackles for a loss.

I don't know the stats of all the DL coming up, but most websites out there are saying that it's a deep year for DL. In that case, and because we have 15 picks, why not pick up 2-4 DL, both early and late and see which ones stick? As far as giving a pass rush, if our NT wasn't a good rusher, but consistently occupied 2 blockers and dictated how we're attacked, then he would be worth it, in my opinion, and play quite often

LOVE Datone Jones, but he is not a NT. Ngata and Wilfork play DE AND NT.
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:

I don't know the stats of all the DL coming up, but most websites out there are saying that it's a deep year for DL. In that case, and because we have 15 picks, why not pick up 2-4 DL, both early and late and see which ones stick? As far as giving a pass rush, if our NT wasn't a good rusher, but consistently occupied 2 blockers and dictated how we're attacked, then he would be worth it, in my opinion, and play quite often

IMO, the # of plays our NT would get would depend on two factors: how often the opponent rolls out their base/heavy personnel, and how well he can rush in sub packages.
  • buck
  • Veteran
LOVE Datone Jones, but he is not a NT. Ngata and Wilfork play DE AND NT.

Never meant to imply that Datone Jones was a nose tackle, In fact, I did indicate that he was a DE.
But when they move to a four man front, he. like Justin Smith, could move to tackle .

In this draft Brandon Williams seems to be the nose tackle with the best capacity to get sacks and penetrate the opponents backfield.

Never meant to imply that Datone Jones was a nose tackle, In fact, I did indicate that he was a DE.
But when they move to a four man front, he. like Justin Smith, could move to tackle .

In this draft Brandon Williams seems to be the nose tackle with the best capacity to get sacks and penetrate the opponents backfield.

My original statement was that there are no Ngatas or Wilforks in this draft, which was me questioning the selection of a NT in the first. Jones not playing NT is directly relevant to that point. If Williams was all of that, someone would be calling him a first rounder. I know Ngatas didn't do in the first, but I'm pretty confident he would if the held a do-over.
I really, really like the idea of Williams. He's short with good strength (38 reps on the bench). His weight did look very sloppy at the Combine though. If the Niners do draft him, I'd expect to see him hit the weight room and convert some of that into "good" weight.

I'd really like to see the Niners use their late 2nd or early 3rd on this guy. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go sooner.
  • buck
  • Veteran
My original statement was that there are no Ngatas or Wilforks in this draft, which was me questioning the selection of a NT in the first. Jones not playing NT is directly relevant to that point. If Williams was all of that, someone would be calling him a first rounder. I know Ngatas didn't do in the first, but I'm pretty confident he would if the held a do-over.

I did not realize that you were talking only about the selection of a nose tackle in the first.

I am not suggesting that we draft Williams in the first. I think he will be drafted in the second, maybe the third.

I did not realize that you were talking only about the selection of a nose tackle in the first.

I am not suggesting that we draft Williams in the first. I think he will be drafted in the second, maybe the third.

And I did not realize that my post was an embarassing assortment of typos. That sucks. Yeah, getting Williams in the third would be cool. I'm all over getting a tall RZ threat, pass rush help, and secondary help with maximum value, however they want to get it.
  • buck
  • Veteran
And I did not realize that my post was an embarassing assortment of typos. That sucks. Yeah, getting Williams in the third would be cool. I'm all over getting a tall RZ threat, pass rush help, and secondary help with maximum value, however they want to get it.

Well the good news is that extra pick we got for Alex will help.

Share 49ersWebzone