There are 211 users in the forums

Combine thread

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Robert Alford and Terry Hawthorne are the damn truth!

Alford may have been the only guy I saw to run a faster unofficial than official 40. Hawthorne has both the size and athletic ability.

Nickell Robey of USC......5'7, 169 pounds. Good Lord.........maybe he could be a punter???

The only thing I worry about with Alford is his Crohn's disease (like what David Garrard has). Other than that, he's an absolute stud as a CB, kick/punt returner.

My mom has Crohns disease. Treatments have come a long way.
BW Webb, Dwayne Gratz and the Honey Badger also showed up big today.
I like Rhodes for several reasons, not the least of which is his size...he'd matchup well against the bigger WR's we face just about every Sunday. A guy that size who can run that well is hard to find. Switching positions, a WR I'm very impressed with is Robert Woods from USC. Saw him play and he was impressive...seeing him master the drills and catch everything in sight didn't do anything to disuade me from liking him a lot. He's got his explosion back after being hampered by ankle injuries during the season. As for DL, I'm not all excited about either Hunt or Datone Jones...the former's still very raw and personally I wouldn't spend a 1st rd pick on him. Jones is a very good player, but not the size I think we need. Instead, I'd opt for Jesse Williams, Sylvester Williams, or Jenkins. Hankins is still a beast, although he ran a very slow 5.31 X 40. We need size, strength and versatility...if I read another post or article about getting this NT or that, I think I'll scream. As evidenced by Sopoaga's 30% or so snaps played, we don't need a freakin' NT...we need bigs who can play anywhere on the DL. Lack of same cost our defense dearly when JS got hurt. No mas! I'd also include a FA in the mix...Randy Starks would work very well. Cap space is freed up as soon as Alex is traded.
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Milliner, from what I've heard, could go as high to the Lions at #5.... I think that puts him WAY out of our reach, unfortunately
Too bad. I had seen analysis that said about the middle of the round which was within distance of the Niners packaging a few picks together to move up. But, there are quite a few other good corners in the draft that have real good speed. I forget his name, but there's a 6'2" kid that ran about a 4.4.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Milliner, from what I've heard, could go as high to the Lions at #5.... I think that puts him WAY out of our reach, unfortunately
Too bad. I had seen analysis that said about the middle of the round which was within distance of the Niners packaging a few picks together to move up. But, there are quite a few other good corners in the draft that have real good speed. I forget his name, but there's a 6'2" kid that ran about a 4.4.
David Amerson

Well don't forget we can still screw arizona and take the first rounder they have. The front office is dumb and over paid for kolb they will overpay for alex and don't have a player like drc to trade so the pick is going to have to be higher pick because alex is a proven player unlike kolb was.
Originally posted by pd24:
David Amerson
He's not a cornerback, or at least isn't going to be one in the NFL. Dude got blown up like Jiffy Pop this year in coverage.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Well don't forget we can still screw arizona and take the first rounder they have. The front office is dumb and over paid for kolb they will overpay for alex and don't have a player like drc to trade so the pick is going to have to be higher pick because alex is a proven player unlike kolb was.

I hate when people say ridiculous stuff like this after a team has changed their front office structure. BRB, ripping off the Knicks because 10 years ago Isaiah Thomas was a dumbass. Graves was an idiot, he's gone now and while Keim is still a yes man for the Bidwills, he presents himself as significantly more competent.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I like Rhodes for several reasons, not the least of which is his size...he'd matchup well against the bigger WR's we face just about every Sunday. A guy that size who can run that well is hard to find. Switching positions, a WR I'm very impressed with is Robert Woods from USC. Saw him play and he was impressive...seeing him master the drills and catch everything in sight didn't do anything to disuade me from liking him a lot. He's got his explosion back after being hampered by ankle injuries during the season. As for DL, I'm not all excited about either Hunt or Datone Jones...the former's still very raw and personally I wouldn't spend a 1st rd pick on him. Jones is a very good player, but not the size I think we need. Instead, I'd opt for Jesse Williams, Sylvester Williams, or Jenkins. Hankins is still a beast, although he ran a very slow 5.31 X 40. We need size, strength and versatility...if I read another post or article about getting this NT or that, I think I'll scream. As evidenced by Sopoaga's 30% or so snaps played, we don't need a freakin' NT...we need bigs who can play anywhere on the DL. Lack of same cost our defense dearly when JS got hurt. No mas! I'd also include a FA in the mix...Randy Starks would work very well. Cap space is freed up as soon as Alex is traded.

Right on! +1
Originally posted by pd24:
David Amerson
He's not a cornerback, or at least isn't going to be one in the NFL. Dude got blown up like Jiffy Pop this year in coverage.

LOL! Like Jiffy Pop, do they still sell that?

Xavier Rhodes
Originally posted by D-Money:
Tavon Austin WR- want to see his three cone drill and how quick he is in and out of his cuts.
Chris Long OT- want to see his demeanor. How good does he expect himself to be?
Stephan Taylor- does he look semi Barry Sanderish?
Xavier Rhodes- does he look smooth in drills and what his top speed? My top corner!
Star- is he as powerful and agile as SUH was in drills.
Zach Ertz- does he drop a ball?
Marcus Davis - how solid are his hands?

I can see all this from my tv but maybe you could get a sense for these guys personality off the field
Sorry for the delay but here is the recap I promised you
Austin - guaranteed himself as a 1st round pick and maybe top 20. Probably the quickest guy here this weekend
Long - Athletic. See a lot of Staley in him in that regard, but depends if you use him as a guard or tackle. His demeanor was engaging to all the coaches and players. Had off the field issues at FSU but as long as he is honest he'll be fine
Taylor - disappointed, never thought he'd run a 4.7, expected him to be smoother in his drills. His pro day will go far for him to eliminate any questions his combine performance might have caused
Rhodes - a lot of people think he might be like Michael Jenkins in regards to him moving to FS. I personally like the idea because of his natural cover abilities. Best press corner behind the Alabama corner, in my opinion. Love how physical his film is, but needs to work on his quickness a little due to lack of elite speed. Nice possibility at the end of the 1st round.
Star - praying he gets good news and gets to live his dream while living a healthy life.
Ertz - outshined by ND TE but did fine.
Davis - VT doesn't use the WRs too much plus their OB was horrendous this year. Has the physical tools but raw in my opinion since he always tried to over power others while in college. Nice late round option though

Hope this helps
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
I would be interested in Ezekiel Ansah, Margus Hunt, David Bass, Datone Jones, Brandon Williams, David Amerson, William Gholston, Brandon Jenkins. Thanks that would be of great assistance.

Sorry for the delay but figured it would be better at the end of it all. I did not watch the DB's drill this morning so I don't think its fair to comment on them but will ask my co-workers who did

Ansah - good gracious he is an athletic freak, not many 270 lbs can move live they're 225 lbs. I would caution those who like him just for similar reasons to Hunt. Hunt is the better football player, but Ansah has only played 2 yrs and wasn't even a starter until the season already started. I anticipate he'll struggle with board work just because he doesn't know American football well enough yet. But he is probably a top 15 pick now
Hunt - did everything you could ask or expect him to do this weekend. I wouldn't touch him until our 2nd round pick. You see the raw talent but wonder why his freakish athleticism disappears often on film.
Jones - improved his stock and might be their in the 1st. He has had a good senior season, senior bowl and now combine. Great footwork and hand placement on his film and his film shows a lot of what 49ers do with their ends in occupying blockers and playing all over the line. A more consistent burst is the one area of focus he needs to focus on
Gholston - the name Vernon Gholston comes to mind with all the measurables.Great prospect though and the prototype 3-4 DE and played for a great college coach who requires toughness in his players.
Jenkins - struggled in drills as a linebacker, hips are really tight. Don't think he is an option for 49ers
Originally posted by bulldog54:
Originally posted by D-Money:
Tavon Austin WR- want to see his three cone drill and how quick he is in and out of his cuts.
Chris Long OT- want to see his demeanor. How good does he expect himself to be?
Stephan Taylor- does he look semi Barry Sanderish?
Xavier Rhodes- does he look smooth in drills and what his top speed? My top corner!
Star- is he as powerful and agile as SUH was in drills.
Zach Ertz- does he drop a ball?
Marcus Davis - how solid are his hands?

I can see all this from my tv but maybe you could get a sense for these guys personality off the field
Sorry for the delay but here is the recap I promised you
Austin - guaranteed himself as a 1st round pick and maybe top 20. Probably the quickest guy here this weekend
Long - Athletic. See a lot of Staley in him in that regard, but depends if you use him as a guard or tackle. His demeanor was engaging to all the coaches and players. Had off the field issues at FSU but as long as he is honest he'll be fine
Taylor - disappointed, never thought he'd run a 4.7, expected him to be smoother in his drills. His pro day will go far for him to eliminate any questions his combine performance might have caused
Rhodes - a lot of people think he might be like Michael Jenkins in regards to him moving to FS. I personally like the idea because of his natural cover abilities. Best press corner behind the Alabama corner, in my opinion. Love how physical his film is, but needs to work on his quickness a little due to lack of elite speed. Nice possibility at the end of the 1st round.
Star - praying he gets good news and gets to live his dream while living a healthy life.
Ertz - outshined by ND TE but did fine.
Davis - VT doesn't use the WRs too much plus their OB was horrendous this year. Has the physical tools but raw in my opinion since he always tried to over power others while in college. Nice late round option though

Hope this helps
Regarding the offfield issue at FSU, did you mean Long's issues at Oregon or did I miss something?

Thanks for your "hands on" perspective during combine.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

I hate when people say ridiculous stuff like this after a team has changed their front office structure. BRB, ripping off the Knicks because 10 years ago Isaiah Thomas was a dumbass. Graves was an idiot, he's gone now and while Keim is still a yes man for the Bidwills, he presents himself as significantly more competent.
lol it's the cards never in the history team have they ever made a good move... not just the bidwills... Unfortunately, the Arizona Cardinals have struggled to play .500 ball for most of their history. One has to go back to 1947 to find the Cardinals last NFL Championship prior to Kurt... The bidwills are consider one of the cheapest owners in the nfl for the last 75 years, they will always be losers and I don't expect them ever to win a superbowl with a bidwill at the helm. They are losers they higher losers, and losers bread more losers it's the cards until they actually do something that changes this view, which will never happen they will always be losers.
Share 49ersWebzone