There are 117 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Combine thread

  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,529
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Every year there seems to be a guy that has a 40 times, vertical jump, bench press reps, etc that are off the charts. There are these raw players that come out with freakish athleticism that only need to be coached up. It happens every year. This year along comes Margus Hunt. I wouldn't mind having him. But not with our current second round pick. Not without getting a quality 3-4 DE and NT that are ready to play right now. We need defensive line players that can come in and give us 20 snaps a game right now. We don't have time for a player that may look completely lost on some plays. This isn't like Aldon Smith who was transitioning from DE to OLB (or any college 4-3 DE making the conversion for that matter). This is a guy that is still learning how to play the game. We can't afford to draft a player that raw, that high in the draft. If we already had a DE waiting in the wings or could afford to sign a free agent that could immediately rotate with Justin Smith, I'd be more open to taking Hunt. But right now, before our 63rd pick is too high for me.

In my estimation, our need at nose tackle and defensive end are not the same.

Both our starting nose tackle and his back up are free agents. It sure looks like we need to get a starting nose tackle.

In contrast, we have starting defensive ends--one solid and one excellent defensive--under contract.

The number of snaps that we need from the new acquisitions are not the same.

One possible solution would be to sign Richard Seymour, draft a nose tackle with our first pick, and take Margus Hunt with our second pick.

I am not saying that this is our best solution, but it is one viable option.
It would give us a solid rotational defensive end, and Hunt would have time to serve an apprenticeship under two experienced vets.
[ Edited by buck on Feb 26, 2013 at 5:18 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,529
sorry double post
[ Edited by buck on Feb 26, 2013 at 4:45 AM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Every year there seems to be a guy that has a 40 times, vertical jump, bench press reps, etc that are off the charts. There are these raw players that come out with freakish athleticism that only need to be coached up. It happens every year. This year along comes Margus Hunt. I wouldn't mind having him. But not with our current second round pick. Not without getting a quality 3-4 DE and NT that are ready to play right now. We need defensive line players that can come in and give us 20 snaps a game right now. We don't have time for a player that may look completely lost on some plays. This isn't like Aldon Smith who was transitioning from DE to OLB (or any college 4-3 DE making the conversion for that matter). This is a guy that is still learning how to play the game. We can't afford to draft a player that raw, that high in the draft. If we already had a DE waiting in the wings or could afford to sign a free agent that could immediately rotate with Justin Smith, I'd be more open to taking Hunt. But right now, before our 63rd pick is too high for me.

See I disagree. If Hunt makes to the 63rd we should pick him. i know we need rotation but at that pick he would be a perfect pick.


Vernon Gholston says..."hello, thanks for all that money I didn't earn!"
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Every year there seems to be a guy that has a 40 times, vertical jump, bench press reps, etc that are off the charts. There are these raw players that come out with freakish athleticism that only need to be coached up. It happens every year. This year along comes Margus Hunt. I wouldn't mind having him. But not with our current second round pick. Not without getting a quality 3-4 DE and NT that are ready to play right now. We need defensive line players that can come in and give us 20 snaps a game right now. We don't have time for a player that may look completely lost on some plays. This isn't like Aldon Smith who was transitioning from DE to OLB (or any college 4-3 DE making the conversion for that matter). This is a guy that is still learning how to play the game. We can't afford to draft a player that raw, that high in the draft. If we already had a DE waiting in the wings or could afford to sign a free agent that could immediately rotate with Justin Smith, I'd be more open to taking Hunt. But right now, before our 63rd pick is too high for me.

In my estimation, our need at nose tackle and defensive end are not the same.

Both our starting nose tackle and his back up are free agents. It sure looks like we need to get a starting nose tackle.

In contrast, we have starting defensive ends--one solid and one excellent defensive--under contract.

The number of snaps that we need the new acquisitions are not the same.

One possible solution would be to sign Richard Seymour, draft a nose tackle with our first pick, and take Margus Hunt with our second pick.

I am not saying that this is our best solution, but it is one viable option.
It would give us a solid rotational defensive end, and Hunt would have time to serve an apprenticeship under two experienced vets.

Exactly!!!
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,529
the defensive backs take the field.

Persons of interest

corner

*Xavier Rhodes
Johnthan Banks
*Logan Ryan
Desmond Trufant
Tharold Simon
Darius Slay

Safety

*Eric Reid
Kenny Vaccaro
Phillip Thomas
D.J. Swearinger
Jonathan Cyprien
J.J. Wilcox
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,529
Dee Milliner 4.31
Uuuuup I just saw Tyrann Mathieu talking to a 49ers coach on the field. Mathieu laughed and then patted him on the back. We're drafting Mathieu! lol. The kid is a problem child, but if he can stay out of trouble he is one hell of a player! I'm hoping we do draft him.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Uuuuup I just saw Tyrann Mathieu talking to a 49ers coach on the field. Mathieu laughed and then patted him on the back. We're drafting Mathieu! lol. The kid is a problem child, but if he can stay out of trouble he is one hell of a player! I'm hoping we do draft him.

4.4 40-dash, 4 reps on bench, checkered past...if we take him, it better be a 5th
Originally posted by SF69ers:
4.4 40-dash, 4 reps on bench, checkered past...if we take him, it better be a 5th

Agree. Did not look great in the backpedal/change-of-direction drill either. Corners who lack size need to make up for it with superior quickness and athleticism.
Originally posted by Butter:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Every year there seems to be a guy that has a 40 times, vertical jump, bench press reps, etc that are off the charts. There are these raw players that come out with freakish athleticism that only need to be coached up. It happens every year. This year along comes Margus Hunt. I wouldn't mind having him. But not with our current second round pick. Not without getting a quality 3-4 DE and NT that are ready to play right now. We need defensive line players that can come in and give us 20 snaps a game right now. We don't have time for a player that may look completely lost on some plays. This isn't like Aldon Smith who was transitioning from DE to OLB (or any college 4-3 DE making the conversion for that matter). This is a guy that is still learning how to play the game. We can't afford to draft a player that raw, that high in the draft. If we already had a DE waiting in the wings or could afford to sign a free agent that could immediately rotate with Justin Smith, I'd be more open to taking Hunt. But right now, before our 63rd pick is too high for me.

In my estimation, our need at nose tackle and defensive end are not the same.

Both our starting nose tackle and his back up are free agents. It sure looks like we need to get a starting nose tackle.

In contrast, we have starting defensive ends--one solid and one excellent defensive--under contract.

The number of snaps that we need the new acquisitions are not the same.

One possible solution would be to sign Richard Seymour, draft a nose tackle with our first pick, and take Margus Hunt with our second pick.

I am not saying that this is our best solution, but it is one viable option.
It would give us a solid rotational defensive end, and Hunt would have time to serve an apprenticeship under two experienced vets.

Exactly!!!

Except Free Agency starts before the draft, so we might have already re-upped one or both of those guys, or found a FA replacement. NT is a necessary position, but our NTs are on the field for fewer plays every year. We were in Nickle more than base this year. DEs that can collapse the pocket from DT in the 4 man Nickle front will simply impact the game more. A DE that can rotate down to NT (as RJF has done -- except we would want more in the pass rush area with a 1st round pick) or a NT with the athleticism to rush the passer are essentially the same importance, IMO.
I wonder if there's any chance Jonathan Banks is available close to our pick.
Matt Elam looks like a beast. Possible Donte Whitner clone


too bad he's got hands of stone doe
[ Edited by SF69ers on Feb 26, 2013 at 8:15 AM ]
Originally posted by SammyFrancisco:
Agree. Did not look great in the backpedal/change-of-direction drill either. Corners who lack size need to make up for it with superior quickness and athleticism.

I thought he looked pretty good. Think SF with the team chemistry would be a good place for him. Bengals will probably end up drafting him
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,529
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Except Free Agency starts before the draft, so we might have already re-upped one or both of those guys, or found a FA replacement. NT is a necessary position, but our NTs are on the field for fewer plays every year. We were in Nickle more than base this year. DEs that can collapse the pocket from DT in the 4 man Nickle front will simply impact the game more. A DE that can rotate down to NT (as RJF has done -- except we would want more in the pass rush area with a 1st round pick) or a NT with the athleticism to rush the passer are essentially the same importance, IMO.

Of course, free agency will shape the draft. The option I put forward is dependent on getting a 3-4 defensive end in free agency.

If we had a nose tackle that could collapse the pocket, the number snaps a nose tackle is on the field will increase.

The critical point is we have two solid starters at DE, and right now we do not really have a starting nose tackle.

Getting a starting quality nose tackle this year, in free agency or the draft, is both immediate and critical.

Getting a starting quality DE this year, in free agency or the draft, is less critical and less immediate.
The option I put forward remains viable. At least, that is how I see it.
[ Edited by buck on Feb 26, 2013 at 8:22 AM ]
Originally posted by SF69ers:
I wonder if there's any chance Jonathan Banks is available close to our pick.

Anything is possible this year: Dee Milliner, Desmond Trufant, Jordan Poyer and Xavier Rhodes have a chance to go ahead of him at CB. Could also see Kenny Vaccaro, Matt Elam and Jonathan Cyprien go in the first too, that is a pretty good number of DB's for the first round. Banks would really need to fit the teams system to go in the first round.