There are 173 users in the forums

Combine thread

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Idk Brandon Spikes & Rey Maauluga got drafted around the 2nd/3rd round and ran worst 40 times

I really was not basing my statement on his 40 time.

This hoax thing and his Alabama game, but particularly this hoax thing are going to hurt him.

Just a feeling on my part. I have no real basis for my feelings, but they are there.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Idk Brandon Spikes & Rey Maauluga got drafted around the 2nd/3rd round and ran worst 40 times

I really was not basing my statement on his 40 time.

This hoax thing and his Alabama game, but particularly this hoax thing are going to hurt him.

Just a feeling on my part. I have no real basis for my feelings, but they are there.

Blame Tebow.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Well, its settled then he has nothing to worry about. I swear its like the world has turned on him or something. You people act like he got busted for marijuana, beat up his wife, assaulted a police officer, beat up his mom or shot himself in the foot at a night club.

Honestly he would have been far better off had he just been caught with pot. The situation he was entangled in is utterly bizarre to say the least, The media firestorm that happened as a result has made things infinitely worse for him. Many GM's are going to be wary of the sideshow attention that he's going to draw and may figure that its just better off to skip the potential headache all together.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Honestly he would have been far better off had he just been caught with pot. The situation he was entangled in is utterly bizarre to say the least, The media firestorm that happened as a result has made things infinitely worse for him. Many GM's are going to be wary of the sideshow attention that he's going to draw and may figure that its just better off to skip the potential headache all together.

That is it. Let me quote you.

"The situation he was entangled in is utterly bizarre to say the least."
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Well, its settled then he has nothing to worry about. I swear its like the world has turned on him or something. You people act like he got busted for marijuana, beat up his wife, assaulted a police officer, beat up his mom or shot himself in the foot at a night club.

Yah I get that, but in all honesty it only takes one team to like him (as the saying goes). I have a little bias going on, my brother-n-law played with him in HS, I have friends that know his family well. The kid is a straight up church boy, who is just young and naive. Hes no criminal by any means, and it sucks how something so silly is just trying to shatter his image. Its stupid, the kid can play and that's all that matters, little girls can go poke fun at the other stuff.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
He will be fine. Still late first round IMO.

I highly doubt that. His first round shot went out the window. Too much uncertainty and weirdness involved, a lot of teams are also concerned about him being gay(no Culliver) and that he came out making excuses about his Combine performance rather than simply saying "Yep, I wasn't prepared. my bad" made it worse.
We have been disagreeing a lot lately. I think there's still plenty of time before draft day. I don't have cable so I don't see all the hoopla the media creates around Te'o. I don't think the coaches have a ton of time to watch that crap either. I think they are busy watching film on tons of players. For Te'o I think he will do well in personal interviews and him being slow(er) today than the rest of the pack was no secret. I think he has great instincts for a LB and he will be fine.

I highly doubt that. His first round shot went out the window. Too much uncertainty and weirdness involved, a lot of teams are also concerned about him being gay(no Culliver) and that he came out making excuses about his Combine performance rather than simply saying "Yep, I wasn't prepared. my bad" made it worse.

Kid is gay. I have been saying so since day one of this debacle. He is also a compulsive liar IMO.

Asside from that, he was extremely underwhelming. I say late second at the earliest. I could easily see him falling into the mid-late rounds. I personally wouldnt touch him as a GM.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Feb 25, 2013 at 11:26 PM ]

on the being gay issue, do you think the niners knew or suspected kwame harris was gay before they took him in the 1st round
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Not sure what you're looking at, but Thomas checked in at 6' 5/8"...pretty much 6'1".

I got that here.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2013/combine/s.html

but Walter has him at 6-1

http://walterfootball.com/combine2013DB.php

Thanks for the input--makes me feel much better, because we might be needing a good safety.

your probably looking at the measurements for shamarko thomas
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Kid is gay. I have been saying so since day one of this debacle. He is also a compulsive liar IMO.

Asside from that, he was extremely underwhelming. I say late second at the earliest. I could easily see him falling into the mid-late rounds. I personally wouldnt touch him as a GM.

Gay? Why? If I thought she...

...was my girlfriend, the other end of the phone would have to sound like Louis Armstrong with bronchitis to break that spell.

I'm a big Shamarko Thomas fan. He's 5'9" and had 28 reps on the bench! Hoping we can pick him up in the later rounds.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Gay? Why? If I thought she...

...was my girlfriend, the other end of the phone would have to sound like Louis Armstrong with bronchitis to break that spell.

Why would you ever think someone was your girlfriend that you had never met?

Kid was the king of the castle at his school. He could have pretty much any college chick that went to the school, but instead he is in a phone relationship with someone he never met?

Dont buy it. Story doesnt add up.

I think he is gay. everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but im not that naive. Dont buy the story for a second.
Every year there seems to be a guy that has a 40 times, vertical jump, bench press reps, etc that are off the charts. There are these raw players that come out with freakish athleticism that only need to be coached up. It happens every year. This year along comes Margus Hunt. I wouldn't mind having him. But not with our current second round pick. Not without getting a quality 3-4 DE and NT that are ready to play right now. We need defensive line players that can come in and give us 20 snaps a game right now. We don't have time for a player that may look completely lost on some plays. This isn't like Aldon Smith who was transitioning from DE to OLB (or any college 4-3 DE making the conversion for that matter). This is a guy that is still learning how to play the game. We can't afford to draft a player that raw, that high in the draft. If we already had a DE waiting in the wings or could afford to sign a free agent that could immediately rotate with Justin Smith, I'd be more open to taking Hunt. But right now, before our 63rd pick is too high for me.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hofer36:
your probably looking at the measurements for shamarko thomas

No. They have Phillip Thomas at 5-9 and Shamarko Thomas at 6-0.

.http://www.footballsfuture.com/2013/combine/s.html
[ Edited by buck on Feb 26, 2013 at 4:07 AM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Every year there seems to be a guy that has a 40 times, vertical jump, bench press reps, etc that are off the charts. There are these raw players that come out with freakish athleticism that only need to be coached up. It happens every year. This year along comes Margus Hunt. I wouldn't mind having him. But not with our current second round pick. Not without getting a quality 3-4 DE and NT that are ready to play right now. We need defensive line players that can come in and give us 20 snaps a game right now. We don't have time for a player that may look completely lost on some plays. This isn't like Aldon Smith who was transitioning from DE to OLB (or any college 4-3 DE making the conversion for that matter). This is a guy that is still learning how to play the game. We can't afford to draft a player that raw, that high in the draft. If we already had a DE waiting in the wings or could afford to sign a free agent that could immediately rotate with Justin Smith, I'd be more open to taking Hunt. But right now, before our 63rd pick is too high for me.

See I disagree. If Hunt makes to the 63rd we should pick him. i know we need rotation but at that pick he would be a perfect pick.
Share 49ersWebzone