There are 153 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Combine thread

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
I'm not obsessed with the guy, but I'm saying he would be a decent pick where we're at in the 1st round. Datone Jones would be an ideal pick, but let's face it, he may not be available when we pick. What's with this idea that some of you have that we need an immediate star off the bat so late in the draft? Are you all just used to picking ultra talented players in the 1st round because of how bad we sucked all those years? We need a player that can come in and give Justin Smith or Ray Mac a breather when needed.

Ziggy Ansah has only been playing football for a few years, but he's considered a top notch prospect based off his measurables and some flashes he's shown his last year at BYU. We can go down the list of players that have been drafted high based off their measurables and some worked, some didn't. That's the draft! That's how it works. You see a guy that's got potential, that shows he plays the game well, combine that with your coaching staff and surrounding cast of players and you build your foundation.

I started keeping an eye on Hunt when Mayock mentioned him as a target to watch prior to the Senior Bowl practices. When I followed along, I saw the first day as the only time he struggled. He was overwhelmed, but he got better each day and competed. His measurables are great, no doubt about it, and I look at our coaching staff and feel that he can be molded to be a serviceable player in this league.

I disagree entirely, there's no way in hell I would take in the 1st round or over somebody like Datone Jones, the difference in skillset isn't even close. I'm not worried about picking him because I think he'll take time to develop, I'm worried because the more I see of him, the more I see a giant bust in the works. He's simply got too many weaknesses to along with an inconsistent motor, as I've watched and watched, I see this guy ultimately as 3rd to 4th round value at best...he'll go before that due to his athleticism, but he's simply not a good football player. He's a great athlete, and generally, a lot of busts are great athletes, but couldn't get it done on the football field whereas you have guys who are lousy athletes but make it because they are top-notch football players.


Being strong and fast doesn't make you a good football player, otherwise they would just start raiding track teams and start scouring local gyms for power-lifters.

Never did I say that I would take him over Jones. I said that Jones would be ideal, but he may not be available when we pick.

I guess we'll agree to disagree. I still want to go DE in the 1st and if Datone Jones and Johnathan Hankins are gone, I say we take Hunt or trade down to the top of the 2nd and take him. Not all players are gonna be as perfect as you want, Phoenix, otherwise, they'd be a top-10 pick. But we're picking at the last portion of the round where the mentality is gonna be a bit different because the window for selecting someone that has bust factors grows bigger.

You focus on inconsistencies, but I let it pass a bit since he's still raw and learning. What I see is flashes from the Texas A&M game and even the TCU game. You're looking for a star, I'm looking for quality depth.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
FWIW I still remember arguing on behalf of Aldon Smith. I'm glad he proved people wrong.

But back to Hunt, he had ONE bad day during the Senior Bowl week, and it happened to be the first day. He bounced back and showed consistency competing with the rest of the seniors. He'll be 25 when he's drafted. Other players will be around 22-24. ONE YEAR DIFFERENCE for a guy playing on the defensive line. Like I mentioned before, it's not the same as playing QB, WR, or RB at an older age. The adjustment to the pros at his age in his position should be a quicker adaptation.

Except other guys have been playing football their entire lives and he first started playing football just a few years ago. I'm not really understanding what your obsession with the guy is, yes he's physically talented, he's an athlete, the question is, can he be a football player? At the pro level he won't be able to just get by on his athleticism anymore.

What I see when I watch the guy is someone who has a tendency to get frustrated and give up on plays when blocked, I see a guy with shoddy technique, limited repertoire of pass rush moves. He has an inconsistent motor, at best, and there are times when he simply looks lost out on the football field. The deer in the headlights look he showed during the Senior Bowl, and lets be reality, it was more than just "one practice", is indicative of his particular skill level and I don't think it bodes well for him at the next level.


If you're being honest, you'll admit that you like him almost entirely based on his athletic ability and not his body of work as a football player, there's nothing wrong with, I just think you need more out of potential draftee. He is the literal definition of "boom or bust" with the odds favoring the latter part of that equation.
Just different stuff I've come across since I started to like this guy. Whether the Niners get him or not... I just like the guy.

"2013 Senior Bowl Interview: Margus Hunt By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell SMU defensive end Margus Hunt was one of the stars of the 2013 Senior Bowl weigh-in as he checked in at 6-foot-8 and 277 pounds. Hunt carried that weight extremely well and obviously is diligent in the weight room. WalterFootball.com spoke with Hunt on media night and learned there are a plethora of teams that are interested in him. In only one night of interviews, he met with a quarter of the NFL. "I met the Buccaneers, the Packers, the Dolphins, Bears, the Saints for a brief moment, the 49ers, the Jaguars and the Texans as well."

"At the Senior Bowl practices, one could see the rawness in Hunt's game. But there is no denying they have ability and upside. The question now is this: How do you draft a player who hasn't yet converted all of his football and physical ability?
When scouts see such undeveloped talent, they trust that coaches can "train up" the athlete and turn him into an impact player. Ask any scout or coach and they'll say you can teach technique, but you can't teach athleticism. A player who gets a later start to the game lacks bad habits and has a beginner's mind, making him very coachable"

From an article on NFL.com: "That opinion was certainly validated when I watched Hunt work out at the Senior Bowl. Although he struggled at times in one-on-one pass-rush drills, Hunt routinely flashed during team periods. And his ability to collapse the pocket is what coaches covet in five-technique players. Additionally, he displays outstanding first-step quickness on inside moves. Hunt routinely slips past blockers on slants and games to harass quarterbacks in the pocket. With an 82-inch wingspan and an impeccable sense of timing honed through blocking kicks on special teams (he piled up a whopping 17 blocks over his SMU career), Hunt can develop into a disruptive fly-swatter at the line."
Originally posted by Jcool:
Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS

Manti Te'o, smaller than expected at 241, runs unofficially a 4.81 40.



im telling you this guy is very overated, he will be servicable but nothing exceptional in the NFL
I would like to see us throw a 7th on TJ Moe. Guy looks like a slot WR... Tough, quick. Only knock seems to be that he has no top speed.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:


He's going to want to call a friend on that one.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS

Manti Te'o, smaller than expected at 241, runs unofficially a 4.81 40.



im telling you this guy is very overated, he will be servicable but nothing exceptional in the NFL

I lost count of how many millions of dollars this kid has lost over the last 2 months.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Just different stuff I've come across since I started to like this guy. Whether the Niners get him or not... I just like the guy.

"2013 Senior Bowl Interview: Margus Hunt By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell SMU defensive end Margus Hunt was one of the stars of the 2013 Senior Bowl weigh-in as he checked in at 6-foot-8 and 277 pounds. Hunt carried that weight extremely well and obviously is diligent in the weight room. WalterFootball.com spoke with Hunt on media night and learned there are a plethora of teams that are interested in him. In only one night of interviews, he met with a quarter of the NFL. "I met the Buccaneers, the Packers, the Dolphins, Bears, the Saints for a brief moment, the 49ers, the Jaguars and the Texans as well."

"At the Senior Bowl practices, one could see the rawness in Hunt's game. But there is no denying they have ability and upside. The question now is this: How do you draft a player who hasn't yet converted all of his football and physical ability?
When scouts see such undeveloped talent, they trust that coaches can "train up" the athlete and turn him into an impact player. Ask any scout or coach and they'll say you can teach technique, but you can't teach athleticism. A player who gets a later start to the game lacks bad habits and has a beginner's mind, making him very coachable"

From an article on NFL.com: "That opinion was certainly validated when I watched Hunt work out at the Senior Bowl. Although he struggled at times in one-on-one pass-rush drills, Hunt routinely flashed during team periods. And his ability to collapse the pocket is what coaches covet in five-technique players. Additionally, he displays outstanding first-step quickness on inside moves. Hunt routinely slips past blockers on slants and games to harass quarterbacks in the pocket. With an 82-inch wingspan and an impeccable sense of timing honed through blocking kicks on special teams (he piled up a whopping 17 blocks over his SMU career), Hunt can develop into a disruptive fly-swatter at the line."

good find. combine his wingspan with Aldon's and no runner would get past that side
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Just different stuff I've come across since I started to like this guy. Whether the Niners get him or not... I just like the guy.

"2013 Senior Bowl Interview: Margus Hunt By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell SMU defensive end Margus Hunt was one of the stars of the 2013 Senior Bowl weigh-in as he checked in at 6-foot-8 and 277 pounds. Hunt carried that weight extremely well and obviously is diligent in the weight room. WalterFootball.com spoke with Hunt on media night and learned there are a plethora of teams that are interested in him. In only one night of interviews, he met with a quarter of the NFL. "I met the Buccaneers, the Packers, the Dolphins, Bears, the Saints for a brief moment, the 49ers, the Jaguars and the Texans as well."

"At the Senior Bowl practices, one could see the rawness in Hunt's game. But there is no denying they have ability and upside. The question now is this: How do you draft a player who hasn't yet converted all of his football and physical ability?
When scouts see such undeveloped talent, they trust that coaches can "train up" the athlete and turn him into an impact player. Ask any scout or coach and they'll say you can teach technique, but you can't teach athleticism. A player who gets a later start to the game lacks bad habits and has a beginner's mind, making him very coachable"

From an article on NFL.com: "That opinion was certainly validated when I watched Hunt work out at the Senior Bowl. Although he struggled at times in one-on-one pass-rush drills, Hunt routinely flashed during team periods. And his ability to collapse the pocket is what coaches covet in five-technique players. Additionally, he displays outstanding first-step quickness on inside moves. Hunt routinely slips past blockers on slants and games to harass quarterbacks in the pocket. With an 82-inch wingspan and an impeccable sense of timing honed through blocking kicks on special teams (he piled up a whopping 17 blocks over his SMU career), Hunt can develop into a disruptive fly-swatter at the line."


L-O-L


Anytime the best thing you can say about a football player is that he looks great in shorts and sneakers........you should really start to worry.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 25, 2013 at 1:50 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
L-O-L


Anytime the best thing you can say about a football player is that he looks great in shorts and sneakers........you should really start to worry.

wow....how about you get off your high horse and realize that not everyone is gonna agree with you. we see it one way, you see it another. we're not gonna get a talent like Sheldon Richardson or Shariff Floyd. Deal with it. We need to look at the 2nd tier of talent.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
L-O-L


Anytime the best thing you can say about a football player is that he looks great in shorts and sneakers........you should really start to worry.

wow....how about you get off your high horse and realize that not everyone is gonna agree with you. we see it one way, you see it another. we're not gonna get a talent like Sheldon Richardson or Shariff Floyd. Deal with it. We need to look at the 2nd tier of talent.

You definitely have a point in regards to who won't be available. It will all depend on where the Niners scouts and front office view Hunt and his potential compared to guys like Datone Jones, Kawann Short, Jonathn Hankins, Johnathan Jenkins, etc. Hunt sounds like he has all the physical tools to be considered, but will that potential override the overall skills of the other guys who have more experience. It's a crapshoot at this point. It will only get more cloudy if the DB's blow up their workout numbers tomorrow. That is another critical area of need that has to be addressed.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
wow....how about you get off your high horse and realize that not everyone is gonna agree with you. we see it one way, you see it another. we're not gonna get a talent like Sheldon Richardson or Shariff Floyd. Deal with it. We need to look at the 2nd tier of talent.

I don't see Hunt in that 2nd tier. There's guys like Jessie Williams and Datone Jones who I place ahead of Hunt and feel that one, if not both will be around when the 49ers pick in the 1st. No reason to reach for a likely bust. IMO, taking Hunt anytime before the late 2nd round constitutes a mega-reach.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 25, 2013 at 2:13 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
wow....how about you get off your high horse and realize that not everyone is gonna agree with you. we see it one way, you see it another. we're not gonna get a talent like Sheldon Richardson or Shariff Floyd. Deal with it. We need to look at the 2nd tier of talent.

I don't see Hunt in that 2nd tier. There's guys like Jessie Williams and Datone Jones who I place ahead of Hunt and feel that one, if not both will be around when the 49ers pick in the 1st. No reason to reach for a likely bust. IMO, taking Hunt anytime before the late 2nd round constitutes a mega-reach.

If Jones is available, we take him, but that is a big IF. I'm still hesitant on Jesse Williams. I'm not sure if he can really be the anchor. I'd prefer Brandon Williams over Jesse Williams at the nose.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS

Manti Te'o, smaller than expected at 241, runs unofficially a 4.81 40.



im telling you this guy is very overated, he will be servicable but nothing exceptional in the NFL

I lost count of how many millions of dollars this kid has lost over the last 2 months.

Just remember, Burfict looked like a fool and lost millions.

And he had one hell of a rookie year.
Manti's a woman beater. here he is pushing his GF off the stage during an interview.

Jamie Collins.....6'3, 250, 4.59 40, 41.5 inch vertical, 139 inch broad jump................FREAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKK