There are 256 users in the forums

Combine thread

Originally posted by bulldog54:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
I guess we have two different views on the player. I feel like he's got the size to play end in our defense. A run-stuffer that also has the athleticism to rush when needed. His long arms will help swat balls down and he can keep runs from going to the outside because of his length. He'll have to learn how to use his leverage, but I truly feel that our coaches can get the best out of him.

Ironically I'm sure many teams are the same way which is good thing because that's how you find answers. I primarily focus on LBs and help with DL tape. I have coworkers who love and don't like this guy.

I think the fact that we won't be asking him to step in right away and be a world beater will help in his development.
lol my first mistake? you've been here long enough to know the consistent draft crushes. i specifically remember people posting on here saying that Aldon wouldn't transition well into the 3-4.

Like I said, that was your first mistake, paying attention to what people on here were saying. Before I ever posted here I was a constant lurker and you've got some folks that are highly knowledgeable and you've got many others who don't know their own ass from a hole in the ground and simply ride on whatever bandwagon is popular at the moment.

Aldon was widely considered as a potential 3-4 OLB by those who did know what they were talking about, the doubt as the same as with any 4-3 DE is how well they could transition but it was mostly a minor one. Hunt on the other hand, is hardly only being questioned here. He's widely being questioned for his horrific performance at the Senior Bowl, for playing at a low level of competition, for being older and yet still very raw. The best thing you can say about Hunt is "well, he's got nice measurables." However, that shouldn't be sufficient enough reason to draft someone......to hope and pray that they can develop into something useful.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
lol my first mistake? you've been here long enough to know the consistent draft crushes. i specifically remember people posting on here saying that Aldon wouldn't transition well into the 3-4.

Like I said, that was your first mistake, paying attention to what people on here were saying. Before I ever posted here I was a constant lurker and you've got some folks that are highly knowledgeable and you've got many others who don't know their own ass from a hole in the ground and simply ride on whatever bandwagon is popular at the moment.

Aldon was widely considered as a potential 3-4 OLB by those who did know what they were talking about, the doubt as the same as with any 4-3 DE is how well they could transition but it was mostly a minor one. Hunt on the other hand, is hardly only being questioned here. He's widely being questioned for his horrific performance at the Senior Bowl, for playing at a low level of competition, for being older and yet still very raw. The best thing you can say about Hunt is "well, he's got nice measurables." However, that shouldn't be sufficient enough reason to draft someone......to hope and pray that they can develop into something useful.

FWIW I still remember arguing on behalf of Aldon Smith. I'm glad he proved people wrong.

But back to Hunt, he had ONE bad day during the Senior Bowl week, and it happened to be the first day. He bounced back and showed consistency competing with the rest of the seniors. He'll be 25 when he's drafted. Other players will be around 22-24. ONE YEAR DIFFERENCE for a guy playing on the defensive line. Like I mentioned before, it's not the same as playing QB, WR, or RB at an older age. The adjustment to the pros at his age in his position should be a quicker adaptation.
I think the fact that we won't be asking him to step in right away and be a world beater will help in his development.

Originally posted by bulldog54:
I guess we have two different views on the player. I feel like he's got the size to play end in our defense. A run-stuffer that also has the athleticism to rush when needed. His long arms will help swat balls down and he can keep runs from going to the outside because of his length. He'll have to learn how to use his leverage, but I truly feel that our coaches can get the best out of him.

Ironically I'm sure many teams are the same way which is good thing because that's how you find answers. I primarily focus on LBs and help with DL tape. I have coworkers who love and don't like this guy.

Very true and I could see him being effective in certain situations especially against smaller OBs like Wilson and Brees. Have to think they'd be comfortable with that arrangement since they did with A. Smith
Tyrann Mathieu only 4 reps on the bench
FWIW I still remember arguing on behalf of Aldon Smith. I'm glad he proved people wrong.

But back to Hunt, he had ONE bad day during the Senior Bowl week, and it happened to be the first day. He bounced back and showed consistency competing with the rest of the seniors. He'll be 25 when he's drafted. Other players will be around 22-24. ONE YEAR DIFFERENCE for a guy playing on the defensive line. Like I mentioned before, it's not the same as playing QB, WR, or RB at an older age. The adjustment to the pros at his age in his position should be a quicker adaptation.

Except other guys have been playing football their entire lives and he first started playing football just a few years ago. I'm not really understanding what your obsession with the guy is, yes he's physically talented, he's an athlete, the question is, can he be a football player? At the pro level he won't be able to just get by on his athleticism anymore.

What I see when I watch the guy is someone who has a tendency to get frustrated and give up on plays when blocked, I see a guy with shoddy technique, limited repertoire of pass rush moves. He has an inconsistent motor, at best, and there are times when he simply looks lost out on the football field. The deer in the headlights look he showed during the Senior Bowl, and lets be reality, it was more than just "one practice", is indicative of his particular skill level and I don't think it bodes well for him at the next level.

If you're being honest, you'll admit that you like him almost entirely based on his athletic ability and not his body of work as a football player, there's nothing wrong with, I just think you need more out of potential draftee. He is the literal definition of "boom or bust" with the odds favoring the latter part of that equation.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 25, 2013 at 12:56 PM ]

had to take a break to smoke a joint
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

LOL even I had 4, and I'm shorter and smaller than him. HaHa!!!!

Seriously, do not want at 3rd-6th. 7th round if hes the best available....maybe.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

had to take a break to smoke a joint

Originally posted by Travisty13:
Jamie Collins of Southern Miss jumped almost 12 feet in the broad jump.....damn

He's someone that the 49ers could look at for more depth at 3-4 OLB.

41 and a half inch Vert.

Just watched some YouTube highlights video of him vs. Nebraska. Did not watch long, but the kid made some plays as a pass rusher and against the run. Did not watch long enough to see if he could cover. Definitely going to take a look at it later. Sounds explosive.............

• Jcool
  • Veteran
darren rovell ‏@darrenrovell

Te'o signing in person in Chicago next month. Price ranges from $80 to $100, photo w/him is $80.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
LOL even I had 4, and I'm shorter and smaller than him. HaHa!!!!

Seriously, do not want at 3rd-6th. 7th round if hes the best available....maybe.

Jason McIntyre ‏@TheBigLead
not slamming Honey Badger at all. And Kyle Wilson (Jets corner) went in the 1st in 2010, put up 225 lbs 25 times. He's not a good CB

Except other guys have been playing football their entire lives and he first started playing football just a few years ago. I'm not really understanding what your obsession with the guy is, yes he's physically talented, he's an athlete, the question is, can he be a football player? At the pro level he won't be able to just get by on his athleticism anymore.

What I see when I watch the guy is someone who has a tendency to get frustrated and give up on plays when blocked, I see a guy with shoddy technique, limited repertoire of pass rush moves. He has an inconsistent motor, at best, and there are times when he simply looks lost out on the football field. The deer in the headlights look he showed during the Senior Bowl, and lets be reality, it was more than just "one practice", is indicative of his particular skill level and I don't think it bodes well for him at the next level.

If you're being honest, you'll admit that you like him almost entirely based on his athletic ability and not his body of work as a football player, there's nothing wrong with, I just think you need more out of potential draftee. He is the literal definition of "boom or bust" with the odds favoring the latter part of that equation.

I'm not obsessed with the guy, but I'm saying he would be a decent pick where we're at in the 1st round. Datone Jones would be an ideal pick, but let's face it, he may not be available when we pick. What's with this idea that some of you have that we need an immediate star off the bat so late in the draft? Are you all just used to picking ultra talented players in the 1st round because of how bad we sucked all those years? We need a player that can come in and give Justin Smith or Ray Mac a breather when needed.

Ziggy Ansah has only been playing football for a few years, but he's considered a top notch prospect based off his measurables and some flashes he's shown his last year at BYU. We can go down the list of players that have been drafted high based off their measurables and some worked, some didn't. That's the draft! That's how it works. You see a guy that's got potential, that shows he plays the game well, combine that with your coaching staff and surrounding cast of players and you build your foundation.

I started keeping an eye on Hunt when Mayock mentioned him as a target to watch prior to the Senior Bowl practices. When I followed along, I saw the first day as the only time he struggled. He was overwhelmed, but he got better each day and competed. His measurables are great, no doubt about it, and I look at our coaching staff and feel that he can be molded to be a serviceable player in this league.
I'm not obsessed with the guy, but I'm saying he would be a decent pick where we're at in the 1st round. Datone Jones would be an ideal pick, but let's face it, he may not be available when we pick. What's with this idea that some of you have that we need an immediate star off the bat so late in the draft? Are you all just used to picking ultra talented players in the 1st round because of how bad we sucked all those years? We need a player that can come in and give Justin Smith or Ray Mac a breather when needed.

Ziggy Ansah has only been playing football for a few years, but he's considered a top notch prospect based off his measurables and some flashes he's shown his last year at BYU. We can go down the list of players that have been drafted high based off their measurables and some worked, some didn't. That's the draft! That's how it works. You see a guy that's got potential, that shows he plays the game well, combine that with your coaching staff and surrounding cast of players and you build your foundation.

I started keeping an eye on Hunt when Mayock mentioned him as a target to watch prior to the Senior Bowl practices. When I followed along, I saw the first day as the only time he struggled. He was overwhelmed, but he got better each day and competed. His measurables are great, no doubt about it, and I look at our coaching staff and feel that he can be molded to be a serviceable player in this league.

I disagree entirely, there's no way in hell I would take in the 1st round or over somebody like Datone Jones, the difference in skillset isn't even close. I'm not worried about picking him because I think he'll take time to develop, I'm worried because the more I see of him, the more I see a giant bust in the works. He's simply got too many weaknesses to along with an inconsistent motor, as I've watched and watched, I see this guy ultimately as 3rd to 4th round value at best...he'll go before that due to his athleticism, but he's simply not a good football player. He's a great athlete, and generally, a lot of busts are great athletes, but couldn't get it done on the football field whereas you have guys who are lousy athletes but make it because they are top-notch football players.

Being strong and fast doesn't make you a good football player, otherwise they would just start raiding track teams and start scouring local gyms for power-lifters.
dam yall might wanna just agree to disagree instead of writing essays
Share 49ersWebzone