There are 79 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Combine thread

Originally posted by bulldog54:
People need to stop assuming you can mold whoever into whatever u want them to be. I'm not saying he won't be successfully, but his film shows to many issues especially at the POA and taking on blockers. Plus he is best suited as 4-3 DE

This...never understood the inclination to take a round peg and force it into a square hole when it was perfectly fine as a round peg in the first place.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
but we're talking about Margus Hunt, and he plays DE not LB

And I think he'll be a better Outside Rush Backer than a DE. He simply doesn't have the core or leg strength yet. I know his measurables are great and he deserves to be recognized for his work ethic. But lets ask it this way, what would happen if he didn't preform this way because his film just doesn't warrant a top 50 pick. You can't spend a 1st round pick on someone to just play special teams. If he falls to the third round I think he is a fantastic pick due to the risk and reward
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by bulldog54:
People need to stop assuming you can mold whoever into whatever u want them to be. I'm not saying he won't be successfully, but his film shows to many issues especially at the POA and taking on blockers. Plus he is best suited as 4-3 DE

This...never understood the inclination to take a round peg and force it into a square hole when it was perfectly fine as a round peg in the first place.


I'm sorry its been a long week, are you arguing with me or not?
Originally posted by SF69ers:
LOL his film? do you mean youtube videos?

Best case scenario, he'll be like Calais Campbell.

Worst case, he'll be Tyler Brayton


P.S. remember people talking about "the film" on Aldon Smith the year we drafted him? That he wasn't athletic enough to play OLB in our 3-4 defense? With good coaching and a great surrounding cast, you can motivate a player like Hunt to be real good.


No I'm actually talking about the multiple game films I review for work. He is no Calais Campbell and who wouldn't be ok with a Tyler Brayton since he is an effective player, but still to risky for 1st round pick. His career might follow something similar to Jason Babin who flamed out till he got to the right scheme in Tennessee with the wide 9
Originally posted by bulldog54:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
but we're talking about Margus Hunt, and he plays DE not LB

And I think he'll be a better Outside Rush Backer than a DE. He simply doesn't have the core or leg strength yet. I know his measurables are great and he deserves to be recognized for his work ethic. But lets ask it this way, what would happen if he didn't preform this way because his film just doesn't warrant a top 50 pick. You can't spend a 1st round pick on someone to just play special teams. If he falls to the third round I think he is a fantastic pick due to the risk and reward

Hunt was already considered a high 2nd round draft pick due to his performance last season and impressing at the Senior Bowl. He had a tough first day, but finished the Senior Bowl week very well competing against top-flight college prospects. I actually don't think he'd be good at OLB, based on his size alone. I think his hips are too stiff for that position. I feel like he can still gain another 10-15 lbs in that frame and not lose the quickness in his feet.

Serious question: do you actually have the "film" cuz you keep mentioning it?
i still think it's stupid that Jarvis Jones doesn't wanna work out
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by bulldog54:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Yeah that already happened though....Caleb Sturgis was money

I know the kickers were part of the first day but I didnt know if they had them do any drills


Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Margus Hunt.....4.6 40 at 277 pounds......beastly, workout warrior status confirmed.

I think I'm buying in to this guy's hype. What I like about him is that he's still so raw and our defensive coaches and vet players would have a field day molding him into a beast as a 3-4 end. Probably won't be the pass rusher that Watt is, but would be an automatic run stuffer with how much ground he can cover. Aldon and Margus on one side in the future? That's CRAZY.


People need to stop assuming you can mold whoever into whatever u want them to be. I'm not saying he won't be successfully, but his film shows to many issues especially at the POA and taking on blockers. Plus he is best suited as 4-3 DE

LOL his film? do you mean youtube videos?

Best case scenario, he'll be like Calais Campbell.

Worst case, he'll be Tyler Brayton


P.S. remember people talking about "the film" on Aldon Smith the year we drafted him? That he wasn't athletic enough to play OLB in our 3-4 defense? With good coaching and a great surrounding cast, you can motivate a player like Hunt to be real good.

NO ONE said Aldon wasn't athletic enough to play OLB, only that he didn't have to in Missouri's scheme. IN FACT, he was praised for sliding down and playing all the positions on the DL, for having great wiggle to get through the line and rush, for having great closing skills and also being a freak and playing on a broken leg...

WATCHU TALKIN BOUT WILLIS???
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
NO ONE said Aldon wasn't athletic enough to play OLB, only that he didn't have to in Missouri's scheme. IN FACT, he was praised for sliding down and playing all the positions on the DL, for having great wiggle to get through the line and rush, for having great closing skills and also being a freak and playing on a broken leg...

WATCHU TALKIN BOUT WILLIS???

trust me, there were a ton of people on here saying that he would take forever to transition to OLB, or that it was a bad pick. Especially because he played mainly on the line in Missouri. i wasn't one of those guys, but there were people that thought he was mainly a 4-3 end.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Hunt was already considered a high 2nd round draft pick due to his performance last season and impressing at the Senior Bowl. He had a tough first day, but finished the Senior Bowl week very well competing against top-flight college prospects. I actually don't think he'd be good at OLB, based on his size alone. I think his hips are too stiff for that position. I feel like he can still gain another 10-15 lbs in that frame and not lose the quickness in his feet.

Serious question: do you actually have the "film" cuz you keep mentioning it?


Yes I do and to be fair they could just be several bad games because we don't get all of them because that is not realistic. And I agree with the mid to late 2nd round merits just hard to see where he fits. The niners use their lineman differently than for example Arizona (under Horton, no clue what they're planning now). I think he would be much better in that system because they slant and attack with Dlines
Originally posted by bulldog54:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Hunt was already considered a high 2nd round draft pick due to his performance last season and impressing at the Senior Bowl. He had a tough first day, but finished the Senior Bowl week very well competing against top-flight college prospects. I actually don't think he'd be good at OLB, based on his size alone. I think his hips are too stiff for that position. I feel like he can still gain another 10-15 lbs in that frame and not lose the quickness in his feet.

Serious question: do you actually have the "film" cuz you keep mentioning it?


Yes I do and to be fair they could just be several bad games because we don't get all of them because that is not realistic. And I agree with the mid to late 2nd round merits just hard to see where he fits. The niners use their lineman differently than for example Arizona (under Horton, no clue what they're planning now). I think he would be much better in that system because they slant and attack with Dlines

I guess we have two different views on the player. I feel like he's got the size to play end in our defense. A run-stuffer that also has the athleticism to rush when needed. His long arms will help swat balls down and he can keep runs from going to the outside because of his length. He'll have to learn how to use his leverage, but I truly feel that our coaches can get the best out of him.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
trust me, there were a ton of people on here saying that he would take forever to transition to OLB, or that it was a bad pick. Especially because he played mainly on the line in Missouri. i wasn't one of those guys, but there were people that thought he was mainly a 4-3 end.

That was your first mistake. Aldon was pegged as a either a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB by the vast majority of sources, nobody doubted his athleticism.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Jamie Collins of Southern Miss jumped almost 12 feet in the broad jump.....damn


He's someone that the 49ers could look at for more depth at 3-4 OLB.

41 and a half inch Vert.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
trust me, there were a ton of people on here saying that he would take forever to transition to OLB, or that it was a bad pick. Especially because he played mainly on the line in Missouri. i wasn't one of those guys, but there were people that thought he was mainly a 4-3 end.

That was your first mistake. Aldon was pegged as a either a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB by the vast majority of sources, nobody doubted his athleticism.

lol my first mistake? you've been here long enough to know the consistent draft crushes. i specifically remember people posting on here saying that Aldon wouldn't transition well into the 3-4.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
I guess we have two different views on the player. I feel like he's got the size to play end in our defense. A run-stuffer that also has the athleticism to rush when needed. His long arms will help swat balls down and he can keep runs from going to the outside because of his length. He'll have to learn how to use his leverage, but I truly feel that our coaches can get the best out of him.

Ironically I'm sure many teams are the same way which is good thing because that's how you find answers. I primarily focus on LBs and help with DL tape. I have coworkers who love and don't like this guy.