There are 68 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Combine thread

Originally posted by Butter:
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Margus Hunt.....4.6 40 at 277 pounds......beastly, workout warrior status confirmed.

His field work wasn't shabby either. Feet looked great, don't know about hips. Hips shouldn't be concern. Should be creeping up boards.

I now see why Mingo was rated so high. Wasn't real impressed with his game in those I watched.

Raising Hunt based on the combine is sketchy imho. He's the definition of a workout warrior in shorts. I'm not saying his measurables and drill performances aren't good, but I'm much more concerned with his ability to make plays with pads on.
I think he will be a good player if he goes to a good team... A good role player at first. I think he will benefit even better if he goes to a good team where he doesn't have to do too much at first. Like Aldon he could play on 3rd downs or in passing situations where teams are spreading us out(that was every team in the playoffs btw). He could also help on special teams. If he goes to Jacksonville and they expect him to be Justin Tuck than he will probably get lost because they suck. But with the Niners he doesn't have to do it all. Just help collapse the pocket with that awesome strength and don't let a running back by you with those long arms.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
The age doesn't bother me at all. Justin Smith didn't start getting where he was till he was 30, hes 34 gonna be 35. I think if Hunt has work ethic like Justin Smith we should get at least 4-5 good years outta Hunt. All that matters is work ethic and a good head on his shoulders, age won't matter for a while.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
The age doesn't bother me at all. Justin Smith didn't start getting where he was till he was 30, hes 34 gonna be 35. I think if Hunt has work ethic like Justin Smith we should get at least 4-5 good years outta Hunt. All that matters is work ethic and a good head on his shoulders, age won't matter for a while.

Justin Smith was a good player before 30, There was a reason he was the # 4 pick and why we paid him 45 million.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:

Justin Smith was a good player before 30, There was a reason he was the # 4 pick and why we paid him 45 million.

Kolohe meant he didn't become a dominant force until he got to the 49ers which was around 30 years old.

thank you.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DVDA:

Kolohe meant he didn't become a dominant force until he got to the 49ers which was around 30 years old.

Yup. Thanks.

In a 4-3 J. Smith was a good player, but not the elite player he is now in a 3-4. Hunt will get the same treatment that Smith is getting now, only he'll be 26 in our system, not 30.

Aldon was young and one dimensional his first year. But he was still productive his rookie year. In his second year he kind of burned out at the end and disappeared without Justin there but overall I think we would all agree that he had a good year. Even if Hunt came in and put up a fraction of what Aldon did than I think it would still be beneficial to the team. If he came in on 3rd downs and got 4 sacks I would be happy. Then give him another offseason and expand his role like Aldon did and by year 2 or 3 he could be a solid player (or special) and he will only be 28-29. His age doesn't matter. I just want another freakish, high motor athlete collapsing the pocket so we can get more sacks and Int's as team.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

In 107 starts with the Bengals he had 43 sacks (avg 6 per) and 317 tackles (45 per).

In 78 starts with the 49ers he has 32 (avg 6 per) sacks and 247 tackles (49 per).

Seems the difference is now he is getting the recognition he deserves thanks to places like PFF.
Guys im interested in drills today are J. jenkins, and W. Gholston.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
His field work wasn't shabby either. Feet looked great, don't know about hips. Hips shouldn't be concern. Should be creeping up boards.

I now see why Mingo was rated so high. Wasn't real impressed with his game in those I watched.

Hips are a huge concern and you can't have great feet without having great hips. You can have quick feet which he most certainly has. Having good hips, for a linebacker, allows them to sink their butts, effectively jam TEs and hold the POA at the line of scrimmage, all things he struggles with.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Yeah that already happened though....Caleb Sturgis was money

I know the kickers were part of the first day but I didnt know if they had them do any drills

Originally posted by SF69ers:
Margus Hunt.....4.6 40 at 277 pounds......beastly, workout warrior status confirmed.

I think I'm buying in to this guy's hype. What I like about him is that he's still so raw and our defensive coaches and vet players would have a field day molding him into a beast as a 3-4 end. Probably won't be the pass rusher that Watt is, but would be an automatic run stuffer with how much ground he can cover. Aldon and Margus on one side in the future? That's CRAZY.

People need to stop assuming you can mold whoever into whatever u want them to be. I'm not saying he won't be successfully, but his film shows to many issues especially at the POA and taking on blockers. Plus he is best suited as 4-3 DE
Originally posted by bulldog54:

Hips are a huge concern and you can't have great feet without having great hips. You can have quick feet which he most certainly has. Having good hips, for a linebacker, allows them to sink their butts, effectively jam TEs and hold the POA at the line of scrimmage, all things he struggles with.

but we're talking about Margus Hunt, and he plays DE not LB
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Guys im interested in drills today are J. jenkins, and W. Gholston.

Gholston is the type of DE the 49ers like who is willing and capable of taking on multiple blockers and athletic. He is also played at Michigan State for a very good, pro style coach. Good film, inconsistent player, but a good bet for the 3-4 rounds and be a solid player for defense and special teams
Originally posted by bulldog54:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Yeah that already happened though....Caleb Sturgis was money

I know the kickers were part of the first day but I didnt know if they had them do any drills

Originally posted by SF69ers:

I think I'm buying in to this guy's hype. What I like about him is that he's still so raw and our defensive coaches and vet players would have a field day molding him into a beast as a 3-4 end. Probably won't be the pass rusher that Watt is, but would be an automatic run stuffer with how much ground he can cover. Aldon and Margus on one side in the future? That's CRAZY.

People need to stop assuming you can mold whoever into whatever u want them to be. I'm not saying he won't be successfully, but his film shows to many issues especially at the POA and taking on blockers. Plus he is best suited as 4-3 DE

LOL his film? do you mean youtube videos?

Best case scenario, he'll be like Calais Campbell.

Worst case, he'll be Tyler Brayton

P.S. remember people talking about "the film" on Aldon Smith the year we drafted him? That he wasn't athletic enough to play OLB in our 3-4 defense? With good coaching and a great surrounding cast, you can motivate a player like Hunt to be real good.
[ Edited by SF69ers on Feb 25, 2013 at 11:57 AM ]
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home