There are 70 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Combine thread

Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by FastEddyD:
Originally posted by bulldog54:
The buzz I'm hearing around here from the morning WR's are Austin from WVU (no surprise), Wheaton from OSU, Woods from USC and my draft crush Vernon from Duke

Robert Woods sure looked smooth and confident today. Really liked his body control and how he catches the football.
Guy from Duke displayed some hands kind of a Eric Decker type guy.

Woods far and away stands out from the bunch with everything he is doing. He completes his runs, he takes the right angles, he knows how to move and cut, he is under control, catches the ball and stays in bounds. He looks explosive, and is prepared mentally and physically.

Couldn't agree more
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Can't remember the top of any draft board as weak as this one appears headed. It seems like no one wants to go first overall,

Although Joeckel appears in the driver's seat, he certainly did not stand out as a dominating presence this weekend, like other OT who went first in the past (Pace, Long, etc.). Star suddenly has a heart issue and cannot even compete. Jarvis Jones has a medical issue with his vertebrae that might exclude him from many first round boards. Moore weighed in at 250 and put up a meager amount of reps. And, Geno Smith is inconsistent.

With that early first rounder, you really want guys to blow you away and check off all the boxes during the post season, starting with the bowl game, Senior Bowl practices, combine and campus workout. I am simply not seeing it from many guys right now. In the end, we may see a freaky draft year, where the second round picks match up, or even outperform their first round counterparts in the NFL. I believe the first round is that weak,

On offense, I only have 10 first round grades:
Joeckel
Fisher
Johnson
Terron Armstead (screw the forty time...watch the footwork drills..dude is a left tackle)
Warmack
Cooper (might be the best OL in this draft...again, the footwork and balance is brilliant)
Eifert
Austin
EJ Manuel
Lacy

Let's see how the defensive side of the ball shows up the next couple of days. The teams in the mid to late 1st round should see some serious bargains avaiable when they are on the clock.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Bench DT

Brandon Williams – Missouri Southern St. – 38
Akeem Spence – Illinois – 37
Josh Boyd – Mississippi St. – 32
John Jenkins – Georgia – 30
Chris Jones – Bowling Green – 30
Bennie Logan – LSU – 30
Sheldon Richardson – Missouri – 30
Jesse Williams – Alabama – 30
Jordan Hill – Penn State – 28
Jared Smith – New Hampshire – 28
Nick Williams – Samford – 28
  • buck
  • Veteran
Bench DE

Margus Hunt – SMU – 38
Abry Jones – Georgia – 30
Stansly Maponga – TCU – 30
Trevardo Williams – UCONN – 30
Datone Jones – UCLA – 29
Tank Carradine – Florida St. - 28
Ty Powell – Harding – 28
Corey Lemonier – Auburn – 27
Malliciah Goodman – Clemson – 26
Bjoern Werner – Florida St. – 25
Tourek Williams – Florida International – 25
  • buck
  • Veteran
double post sorry
[ Edited by buck on Feb 24, 2013 at 7:50 PM ]
Can't remember the top of any draft board as weak as this one appears headed. It seems like no one wants to go first overall,

Although Joeckel appears in the driver's seat, he certainly did not stand out as a dominating presence this weekend, like other OT who went first in the past (Pace, Long, etc.). Star suddenly has a heart issue and cannot even compete. Jarvis Jones has a medical issue with his vertebrae that might exclude him from many first round boards. Moore weighed in at 250 and put up a meager amount of reps. And, Geno Smith is inconsistent.

With that early first rounder, you really want guys to blow you away and check off all the boxes during the post season, starting with the bowl game, Senior Bowl practices, combine and campus workout. I am simply not seeing it from many guys right now. In the end, we may see a freaky draft year, where the second round picks match up, or even outperform their first round counterparts in the NFL. I believe the first round is that weak,

Joeckel
Fisher
Johnson
Terron Armstead (screw the forty time...watch the footwork drills..dude is a left tackle)
Warmack
Cooper (might be the best OL in this draft...again, the footwork and balance is brilliant)
Eifert
Austin
EJ Manuel
Lacy

I agree with you completely, plus this is a much more defensive talent draft. I'm not sold on Armstead because of his Senior bowl week and the he doesn't jump of the tape like Iupati did at Idaho, but could see in the really late (ala Joe Staley) 1st round trade back. The only player I would add off the top of my head would be Patterson of UT because of his skills, but their is risk drafting a JC kid who is raw in his development. I also thought Warford from Kentucky had a good combine and is a very solid prospect who dominated Georgia's "stud" DLine and LBs.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
Originally posted by Butter:
Wow, Hunt had 38 reps? With those long arms, that is pretty impressive. I still don't want him before the 4th round though.

Yes arm measurement 33 3/4.
Margus Hunt and Brandon Williams both put up 38 reps.

Brandon Williams has 32 5/8 arms--that is only 1 1/8 inches shorter than Margus Hunt.

I am not sure, but that does not seem like a significant difference.

Maybe it is, I do not know for sure.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Joeckel
Fisher
Johnson
Warmack
Eifert
Austin
EJ Manuel
Lacy

I agree that the talent on the offensive side of the ball is pretty shallow, but I think that Geno Smith. and maybe Matt Barkley, should be considered late first round talents.
Originally posted by buck:
I agree that the talent on the offensive side of the ball is pretty shallow, but I think that Geno Smith. and maybe Matt Barkley, should be considered late first round talents.

Geno Smith will go in the Top 20 picks, simply on the basis of being the top QB, even in a QB weak draft. Someone like Barkley or Manuel could sneak into the very late 1st round as well, hence why there could be trade down opportunities for the 49ers if they wanted to do so.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Geno Smith will go in the Top 20 picks, simply on the basis of being the top QB, even in a QB weak draft. Someone like Barkley or Manuel could sneak into the very late 1st round as well, hence why there could be trade down opportunities for the 49ers if they wanted to do so.

Seriously, Jake Locker was a first round pick just because of the value of the position. There is a good chance Manuel and Barkley go top 15 and someone like Nassib gets into the first round. Quarterbacks will always be over-drafted, it's not going to change.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Jason McIntyre ‏@TheBigLead

Wow, Damontre Moore, the Texas A&M DE beast, only did 12 reps at 225? That's soft. Knile Davis, a RB, put up 31.
I didn't see happening at first, but John Hankins might just slip to 31.
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
Originally posted by Butter:
Wow, Hunt had 38 reps? With those long arms, that is pretty impressive. I still don't want him before the 4th round though.

Yes arm measurement 33 3/4.
Margus Hunt and Brandon Williams both put up 38 reps.

Brandon Williams has 32 5/8 arms--that is only 1 1/8 inches shorter than Margus Hunt.

I am not sure, but that does not seem like a significant difference.

Maybe it is, I do not know for sure.

Looking at my board and my mock, and I'd be happy with a Margus Hunt/Brandon Williams combo for our first two picks.
Datone Jones is looking pretty nice. Hope he's there for us. Seems to be one of the faves here on the board. 6'4 283 29 reps, 4.80 40
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Datone Jones is looking pretty nice. Hope he's there for us. Seems to be one of the faves here on the board. 6'4 283 29 reps, 4.80 40

He gained 3 more pounds? f**k. 49ers need to find a way to draft this guy. He'll be 290 by the time preseason rolls around.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 25, 2013 at 9:27 AM ]