There are 62 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Combine thread

4.21?!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
I don't get the obsession with the 40 time. We're judging football players on how good they are at imitating track athletes?

It's to measure one's breakaway speed. Can he break away from a db in the open field. That's why people are into these times.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Did I just see a 227 pound running back run a 4.30?

I thought the same. Normally I don't care much for 40 times, but a guy that big? I prefer if we get a back, we get a guy that can go three downs anyway, but if he plays anywhere even close to that speed, how is it that this guy has gone unnoticed?
That's the thing. He barely plays because he's always injured.

His teammate Dennis Johnson, a Phoenix49er man crush, played better than Davis this year and didn't even get a Combine invite. Johnson also returns kicks. Either one would fit very well in the Niners backfield IMO. Gore won't be around forever and the Niners could use a bigger back to go along with Hunter and LMJ in the future.

Another guy who fits this profile is Christine Michael from Texas A&M.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Jason McIntyre ‏@TheBigLead

Onterio McCalebb follows up his 4.27 40 with a 4.21!!!!! Could he go as early as 4th round? 5th?
Zac Stacy! Now that's an underrated RB. Super productive on a bad team in the SEC, solid size and speed. What's the big knock on him?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows

Kansas State FB Braden Wilson (AKA: guy who sat next to me on the plane) just ran his 40 in 4.75 seconds. Not bad for a 254-lber.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I don't get the obsession with the 40 time. We're judging football players on how good they are at imitating track athletes?

It's to measure one's breakaway speed. Can he break away from a db in the open field. That's why people are into these times.

But I mean so much depends on how you get off the "blocks." A stance which you're never going to be in again on an NFL field.

I mean a stud like Stefan Taylor is definitely not slow but compared to some of the others he looks like a slug. Yet guys with minimal production like Davis and Mccaleb are now the big names. I just think game film is way more important than the combine and the 40 time should just be a tiny part of the entire package.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Yeah we really need to add some screens into our offense.

and slants
Originally posted by mayo49:

You also have to consider how long a QB's protection holds up.
But I mean so much depends on how you get off the "blocks." A stance which you're never going to be in again on an NFL field.

I mean a stud like Stefan Taylor is definitely not slow but compared to some of the others he looks like a slug. Yet guys with minimal production like Davis and Mccaleb are now the big names. I just think game film is way more important than the combine and the 40 time should just be a tiny part of the entire package.

I stated earlier I'm not a big guy on the 40. It's just another piece of information, but nothing to make a big judgement off of. Taylor is a good example. I've seen him break off big runs many times in his career at Stanford and he definitely plays faster than that 4.7-4.8 time he ran.
i know you can never have enough of a good thing, but if we were to draft another PR/KR and thats separate from a WR, how would that allow LMJ to get on the field given that Kendall Hunter is going to come back? Maybe we dont care, if the new PR/KR is better than LMJ in which case, we can make LMJ inactive.

BTW - i'm presuming that KH is better than LMJ next year. He clearly was the last two years before getting injured.

Our KR/PR game was not up to par in 2012 - and I do think that along w/ a Kicker, DE and DT are our biggest needs. I dont know how Manningham is going to do coming back from such a big injury. Notice, I didnt mention KW - as in no way should he be more than a slot receiver.

I stated earlier I'm not a big guy on the 40. It's just another piece of information, but nothing to make a big judgement off of. Taylor is a good example. I've seen him break off big runs many times in his career at Stanford and he definitely plays faster than that 4.7-4.8 time he ran.

Stefan Taylor is like Robert Woods very fundametally sound but do not have the ceiling other possess all depends what you looks for.

Wasn't necessarily arguing with anything you said in particular just trying to make a point. The position drills were much more informative to me because you get to see the guys make cuts and what not. If you can't make good cuts how are you going to be able to get to the second level and use that breakaway speed you showed at the 40?
Zac Stacy! Now that's an underrated RB. Super productive on a bad team in the SEC, solid size and speed. What's the big knock on him?

I do like Stacy. He seems like a joke of all trades type back. He's just not elite at one thing. Like a Stepfan Taylor type back.

Also Vandy has gone to back to back bowls (and was 9-4 this year and finished ranked). I wouldn't call them a bad team. James Franklin is heck of a coach and will keep them improving.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Chris Wesseling ‏@ChrisWesseling

Chris Johnson can rest easily. Onterio McCalebb's official time was 4.34, same as Tavon Austin's.