LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 246 users in the forums

Combine thread

Hey everyone, I'll be at the combine in the coming days for work so if they're some people you want me to be on the look out for let me know
I'm actually kind of curious to see how Tyrann Mathieu performs after not playing football in a while. Check out some DT/DEs and secondary players! I think those are our most important needs.
A. what's your work doing for the combine?

B. I hate to bring this guy up so much but I'm most interested in Margus Hunt, DE from SMU. He's only played 3 years so i'm interested to see if he looks explosive like the other top guys or lost?
I'm not a fan of DE Hunt just because he is so raw and older than the average draftee. Yes he has raw talent but when your notarized mostly for your special teams accolades I cant find any reason to justify a high pick, especially with this being a really deep DL group. Plus he played against inferior talent and it showed at the Senior bowl with his lack of moves as he was overpowered and out worked on many occasions.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
A. what's your work doing for the combine?

B. I hate to bring this guy up so much but I'm most interested in Margus Hunt, DE from SMU. He's only played 3 years so i'm interested to see if he looks explosive like the other top guys or lost?
A. Media, (grunt work so I watch a late of tape on the potential draftees

B. I know a lot people like Hunt but I am not one. First he played against inferior competition and did not dominate consistently. At the Senior bowl I thought he was overmatched on too many occasions and has no real go to move. Yes he can contribute on special teams but than you have to wonder if that warrant a 1st or 2nd pick. Not saying he cant do well, but for me he is on the bottom of many other good players. Think they be better trading up to get someone like Jones from UCLA, who I think is better physically, athletically and in the mental aspect due to his combination of moves.
Tavon Austin WR- want to see his three cone drill and how quick he is in and out of his cuts.
Chris Long OT- want to see his demeanor. How good does he expect himself to be?
Stephan Taylor- does he look semi Barry Sanderish?
Xavier Rhodes- does he look smooth in drills and what his top speed? My top corner!
Star- is he as powerful and agile as SUH was in drills.
Zach Ertz- does he drop a ball?
Marcus Davis - how solid are his hands?

I can see all this from my tv but maybe you could get a sense for these guys personality off the field
Originally posted by D-Money:
Tavon Austin WR- want to see his three cone drill and how quick he is in and out of his cuts.
Xavier Rhodes- does he look smooth in drills and what his top speed? My top corner!

I can see all this from my tv but maybe you could get a sense for these guys personality off the field

Can we draft this guy just to play against the rams?
Originally posted by bulldog54:
I'm not a fan of DE Hunt just because he is so raw and older than the average draftee. Yes he has raw talent but when your notarized mostly for your special teams accolades I cant find any reason to justify a high pick, especially with this being a really deep DL group. Plus he played against inferior talent and it showed at the Senior bowl with his lack of moves as he was overpowered and out worked on many occasions.

B. I know a lot people like Hunt but I am not one. First he played against inferior competition and did not dominate consistently. At the Senior bowl I thought he was overmatched on too many occasions and has no real go to move. Yes he can contribute on special teams but than you have to wonder if that warrant a 1st or 2nd pick. Not saying he cant do well, but for me he is on the bottom of many other good players. Think they be better trading up to get someone like Jones from UCLA, who I think is better physically, athletically and in the mental aspect due to his combination of moves.
It's cool! You asked so I replied. I get that a lot of people are going to dismiss Hunt for many of the reasons you mentioned. He could totally flop but the draft from 1st pick to Mr. Irrelevant is a crap shoot. The Niners team has plenty of former 1st round picks that were cut from other teams or drafted by us because they didn't pan out at first... Ahmad Brooks was drafted in the supplemental draft... James Harrison, Tom Brady, Arian Foster, were all evaluated by experts, etc...

I'm not arguing with you but he is still the guy that I will be most interested in from the combine. Kiper does this for a living and he has him rated as the 5th best DE. Hunt might have went up against inferior opponents but maybe he also had inferior coaches at SMU. Maybe learning from our coaches will suit him better. Either way, I'm not banking on the Niners drafting him. I just am more interested in him than the other guys right now because no one stands out right now.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Originally posted by bulldog54:

It's cool! You asked so I replied. I get that a lot of people are going to dismiss Hunt for many of the reasons you mentioned. He could totally flop but the draft from 1st pick to Mr. Irrelevant is a crap shoot. The Niners team has plenty of former 1st round picks that were cut from other teams or drafted by us because they didn't pan out at first... Ahmad Brooks was drafted in the supplemental draft... James Harrison, Tom Brady, Arian Foster, were all evaluated by experts, etc...

I'm not arguing with you but he is still the guy that I will be most interested in from the combine. Kiper does this for a living and he has him rated as the 5th best DE. Hunt might have went up against inferior opponents but maybe he also had inferior coaches at SMU. Maybe learning from our coaches will suit him better. Either way, I'm not banking on the Niners drafting him. I just am more interested in him than the other guys right now because no one stands out right now.

No worries, he is a very intriguing prospect really curious to where he ends up
I would be interested in Ezekiel Ansah, Margus Hunt, David Bass, Datone Jones, Brandon Williams, David Amerson, William Gholston, Brandon Jenkins. Thanks that would be of great assistance.
Xavier Rhodes

• MuggD
  • Veteran
Tell Rich Eisen he's a dumbass. Thx.
Originally posted by Muggins:
Tell Rich Eisen he's a dumbass. Thx.

Copy that
We need to the Rams had our
Originally posted by NinerFan408:

Can we draft this guy just to play against the rams?

We need to the rams had our # this year
We need to the Rams had our
We need to the rams had our # this year

Just for the Chris Long vs Chris Long battle

i just found out it isnt chris long, his name is Kyle Long
[ Edited by NinerFan408 on Feb 16, 2013 at 6:25 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Hunt is the guy that I really like if Patterson is no longer there.. I dont care how old he is, it's obvious that it took him all these years to develope.. nothing we can do about it now...

Balmer never developed, so what the heck.. ???
Share 49ersWebzone