LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

D-Money's 2nd Mock Draft of the Offseason!!!

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Didn't they say GlennDorsey was a beast and would be a game changer. So far that hasn't happened.

Poe hasn't shown up either.

Too much to give up for one guy who may not be as advertised.
agreed!!!!!!!!
Quick question. You said in one of your posts that there is a big dropoff after Lotuleilei and Floyd. Where do you think Floyd will be picked and how much would you give up to get him?
People are having a hard time getting over the "sticker shock" of moving up to the Top 5 position of the draft. No matter what! you have to "pay to play". Pre-2011 before the rookie salary cap it historically took less draft picks to move into the top 5 because the team moving up had to shoulder that 75-50 million dollar contract that came along with a top 5 pick. Now with the rookie cap teams that hold those top spots are less willing to move because the financial burden is substantially less. So in turn more draft picks have to be given up. It's a gamble a lot teams don't like to take and I believe the 49ers are one of those teams.

Now if the Niners feel that Lotulelei is that elite prospect that doesn't come around very often (which I don't) and they feel he is the best option to put them back in the super bowl and winning it, then I believe D-Money has his draft about right.
[ Edited by FastEddyD on Feb 14, 2013 at 2:36 PM ]
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Quick question. You said in one of your posts that there is a big dropoff after Lotuleilei and Floyd. Where do you think Floyd will be picked and how much would you give up to get him?

I see Star going top 5 and Floyd going around 20. Now some teams will have different opinions just like way do and could rank Floyd above Star? But I think Floyd is a top 20 pick. If we want him we would probably have to move into the top 15 to secure your selection of Floyd. I would think our first second and another late or two would do the trick.

Originally posted by FastEddyD:
People are having a hard time getting over the "sticker shock" of moving up to the Top 5 position of the draft. No matter what! you have to "pay to play". Pre-2011 before the rookie salary cap it historically took less draft picks to move into the top 5 because the team moving up had to shoulder that 75-50 million dollar contract that came along with a top 5 pick. Now with the rookie cap teams that hold those top spots are less willing to move because the financial burden is substantially less. So in turn more draft picks have to be given up. It's a gamble a lot teams don't like to take and I believe the 49ers are one of those teams.

Now if the Niners feel that Lotulelei is that elite prospect that doesn't come around very often (which I don't) and they feel he is the best option to put them back in the super bowl and winning it, then I believe D-Money has his draft about right.

Thanks I think you help clarify one point as far as trades are concerned but I believe we are way off if you don't think Star is elite. Which is fine that's your opinion, and welcome to the board man ,
I dont mind giving up a bunch of picks to move up and get an impact player. I don't want to give up the 2014 1st rd pick (which is probably one of the larger pieces of the offer). How high could a modified offer get us... and is there a big enough impact player there for it to make sense.

I'd give up an entire (normal) draft to get an impact player
our 1st, our 2nd, our 3rd, our 4th, our 5th, our 6th, our 7th

We'd still have 8 picks left over. But whoever we're trading up for has gotta be an immediate impact DL (or maybe a shut down corner, but prefer the DL).
I just don't see the conservative nature of Baalke/Harbaugh putting the bulk of what is needed to get this team over the hump into one player. Baalke is prolonged success type of GM he is constantly trying to improve at positions all the time. Trading up to the top 5 drastically limits that.
[ Edited by FastEddyD on Feb 14, 2013 at 3:14 PM ]

I don't think there is a consensus that there is a big drop off. The general feeling is that this draft is very deep with quality defensive linemen. Johnathan Hankins will go in the first round. He's a 6'4", 320 pounder evidently with a non-stop motor. There's Jesse Williams. There are a bunch of second rounders that could go high in the first like Johnathan Jenkins, a 6'3", 360 lb prototype NT who evidently can also play DT.
Where's the 2ndary help? You really satisifed with Donte Midget and Carlos old as Buck Rogers?
Originally posted by GNielsen:

I don't think there is a consensus that there is a big drop off. The general feeling is that this draft is very deep with quality defensive linemen. Johnathan Hankins will go in the first round. He's a 6'4", 320 pounder evidently with a non-stop motor. There's Jesse Williams. There are a bunch of second rounders that could go high in the first like Johnathan Jenkins, a 6'3", 360 lb prototype NT who evidently can also play DT.

I do. I like Hankins but he seems simply invisible at times, which is a horrible quality for dlineman and I never get too excited over Ohio state players. But your right he most likely will go first round. But star and Floyd are ranked a ways ahead of him.

Originally posted by kronik:
Where's the 2ndary help? You really satisifed with Donte Midget and Carlos old as Buck Rogers?

No and not really but is there a player that we can get in third round that will start over them this year? No.
But I'm not as down on our secondary as most. Terrell Brown is legit. Culliver was one of the better cb last season until the playoffs. Rodgers will probably have to reduce his contract. Goldson is a stud. And I still think Hitner is a pro bowler. So I would get another corner in FA this year and target the secondary next year in the draft. We need more pressure on the qb and hopefully we can create more turnovers next year
Originally posted by FastEddyD:

agreed.
For that price we could over draft on D-line and DE and keep only the cream. It isn't much different because drafting is a crap shoot. I don't believe his abilities or the Star in front of his name makes him elite. The Combine might change that though.

I like your idea. But I hate giving up next years 1st rounder, even though it should be a late pick.
Might as well throm kap crabs james and hunter in the trade as well geeeessshhhh
There is no question Star is way overrated. I think his inflation has more to do with how sorry this draft is in the top ten. But, this draft may be one of the best we have seen in recent memory between picks 15 and 70 or so. Two picks in the 15-30 range would be ridiculous.

Ngata was taken with the 12th pick overall in 2006 and was a way way way way better prospect and player than Star is coming out of college.

What you have to like about Star is that he is a great athlete, not just a big dude in the middle. He plays fast and reads plays very well. I don't think he is as strong as people think though.

I think trading up for Star is not a bad idea, but his value is way inflated at the #3 pick. I would rather resign Francios and draft Floyd or Williams late in the first and try to get more picks in the second round.
at first when i saw the trade i thought this draft was going to suck but you actually made it work. you filled alot of needs but 2 OL guys in our first 4 picks? i say trade out one of those OL men for a DB and i will be tickled pink
LOL. You want to trade 8 picks including 2 first rounders for a DT? Unreal.
Share 49ersWebzone