LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

10 Players I'd Love to See in Red & Gold (Pre-Combine Edition)

This would be a dream draft. This is the kind of draft that really would cement us as viable SB contenders for years beyond what we perceive as our current window.
Jenkins and Geathers, they take up an entire block. Amerson is an intriguing pick, great size to match up with the new breed of NFL receivers. Greg Reid is too small, physical receivers would brush him off.
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
Amerson was terrible in every game I saw, but I liked the rest of your draft. I like Simon A LOT, but I don't know exactly where he projects. He's going to kill the combine, though, and his interviews are going to be fantastic. I expect him to be drafted higher than he's projected... maybe even at the end of Round 1. Dion Sims is interesting. I remember thinking how fat & slow he looked, but he's got soft hands and is a really good blocker. Could be used in a lot of packages due to his skill-set. I don't like William Gholston that much... plays WAY too high, IMO. Then again, I said the same thing about Aldon Smith, so...

Amerson's performance this past year makes me nervous, but I think he'd be a good value in Round 2.

I love Simon too. Hate to use the cliche, but the dude is just an old-fashioned football player. Hope he falls to us somehow due to being a little bit of a tweener.

As for Gholston, he's frustrating to watch, but I think our coaches could get the most out of all that ability.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Jenkins and Geathers, they take up an entire block. Amerson is an intriguing pick, great size to match up with the new breed of NFL receivers. Greg Reid is too small, physical receivers would brush him off.

Haha, yep. We need to get bigger up front on defense and those two certainly help accomplish that goal.

As for Reid, he is very physical despite his lack of size. He reminds me a bit of Antoine Winfield in coverage. He's even more physical in run support. Just ask Marcus Lattimore...

Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
Amerson was terrible in every game I saw, but I liked the rest of your draft. I like Simon A LOT, but I don't know exactly where he projects. He's going to kill the combine, though, and his interviews are going to be fantastic. I expect him to be drafted higher than he's projected... maybe even at the end of Round 1. Dion Sims is interesting. I remember thinking how fat & slow he looked, but he's got soft hands and is a really good blocker. Could be used in a lot of packages due to his skill-set. I don't like William Gholston that much... plays WAY too high, IMO. Then again, I said the same thing about Aldon Smith, so...

Simon is quick. Is he powerfully strong? Looks ripped, but does he push people around and call them names or does he rely on finesse? Seems intelligent.
[ Edited by RogerCraig on Feb 9, 2013 at 7:26 AM ]
Originally posted by 60sfan:
I wouldn't want to waste a high draft pick on a NT that can't switch out to DE. There will be passing teams where we will be forced into the nickel more often then not. Even Sopoago can play DE

Unfortunately such a player really doesn't exist in this draft. If you want a guy like that, we probably have to sign Randy Starks in free agency.

That said, the two DLs I really want are Sheldon Richardson and Datone Jones, but I don't think either will be available at 31.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Haha, yep. We need to get bigger up front on defense and those two certainly help accomplish that goal.

As for Reid, he is very physical despite his lack of size. He reminds me a bit of Antoine Winfield in coverage. He's even more physical in run support. Just ask Marcus Lattimore...

Bamm what a lick. Reminds me of Delanie Walker laying out that guy in school.
Best draft so far, however I agree with the concerns with Amerson. Every time his name came on TV it wasn't good for how hyped he was preseason
I'd opt for DL who can play multiple positions...like Jesse Williams and/or Jonathan Hankins. Either could play NT, but they can also line up at DE. You're projecting 3 DL...who would you cut? I got it that Sopoaga may not be back. Instead of 3 rookies, I'd supplant whatever DL are drafted with a vet...like Randy Starks. He's a proven commodity, another guy who can play both inside and out. When Justin Smith was hurt, none of our other vets really stepped up to pick up any slack...now you're advocating to bring in 3 rookies? Good luck with that.

I'd draft two top DL...again though, guys who can lineup anywhere. But it's a must to bring in a vet like Starks...you just can't depend on rookies to stem the tide. Like you, I'd draft 2 CB's and a S. I'd also draft Zach Ertz...who's the best TE in the country. Can't tell me Kap wouldn't be ecstatic with a 6-6 TE with great hands. TE's who can block are a dime a dozen. Guys who have Ertz' skills are pretty rare, plus he knows Harbaugh's offense.

You may be close with the total number...I'm thinking after Baalke trades up to get his guys (which he's very apt to do), he'll end up with @ 8 total picks, but all guys who have a good shot at the roster. I do like your emphasis on defense...which is exactly the help we need.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Best draft so far, however I agree with the concerns with Amerson. Every time his name came on TV it wasn't good for how hyped he was preseason

His performance was definitely a red flag. My reasoning for going with him was based mostly on his size and ball skills. Our secondary was far less productive as far as generating turnovers this year.

A couple other options if you don't like Amerson...

Round 2: Phillip Thomas, FS, Fresno State... 6'1", 210

The disadvantage of Thomas is that he doesn't give us quite as much multi-position flexibility as Amerson, but he'd still be solid in Round 2.

OR... Round 2: Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State... 5'11", 192

Not very physical and not quite as big as Amerson, but he's got very good speed and can certainly cover. Not sure he could play safety, but would be nice depth at corner.

Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I'd opt for DL who can play multiple positions...like Jesse Williams and/or Jonathan Hankins. Either could play NT, but they can also line up at DE. You're projecting 3 DL...who would you cut? I got it that Sopoaga may not be back. Instead of 3 rookies, I'd supplant whatever DL are drafted with a vet...like Randy Starks. He's a proven commodity, another guy who can play both inside and out. When Justin Smith was hurt, none of our other vets really stepped up to pick up any slack...now you're advocating to bring in 3 rookies? Good luck with that.

I'd draft two top DL...again though, guys who can lineup anywhere. But it's a must to bring in a vet like Starks...you just can't depend on rookies to stem the tide. Like you, I'd draft 2 CB's and a S. I'd also draft Zach Ertz...who's the best TE in the country. Can't tell me Kap wouldn't be ecstatic with a 6-6 TE with great hands. TE's who can block are a dime a dozen. Guys who have Ertz' skills are pretty rare, plus he knows Harbaugh's offense.

You may be close with the total number...I'm thinking after Baalke trades up to get his guys (which he's very apt to do), he'll end up with @ 8 total picks, but all guys who have a good shot at the roster. I do like your emphasis on defense...which is exactly the help we need.

Good post. You bring up a lot of interesting counterpoints.

- Would love to get Ertz, but he's gone by 31 in all likelihood. Dion Sims is not strictly a blocker. He's not the receiver Ertz is (few are), but he has reliable hands and can move surprisingly well for his size. Caught 36 balls for 475 in a run-oriented offense.

- Sopoaga is gone, RJF may be gone too, and I wouldn't mind cutting Dobbs or Ian Williams.

- Jesse Williams is strictly a nose, I think. Lacks the athleticism to rotate with Justin Smith or Ray Mac. He supposedly runs a 4.71 40, but when you watch him play he looks stationary. That said, I'd love him at nose if he falls to 31.

- I would love to get Johnathan Hankins, but I had to limit myself a little. Hankins is probably gone at 31.

- Randy Starks would be awesome, but I have a feeling he's out of our price range. Plus, he can certainly play nose in a pinch, but he's more of a 3-4 DE. I want a bigger body to play nose.

- Like I said, in a perfect world we could get Sheldon Richardson or Datone Jones as the successor to Justin Smith, but I think they're gone at 31. Maybe we'll trade up.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Feb 9, 2013 at 7:58 AM ]
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
Simon is quick. Is he powerfully strong? Looks ripped, but does he push people around and call them names or does he rely on finesse? Seems intelligent.

Simon is interesting. He's an undersized 4-3 DE that will likely have to move to 3-4 OLB. He struggled in coverage at the Senior Bowl practices, but I think he'll figure it out due to his work ethic and passion. Urban Meyer has compared him to Tim Tebow in that respect (he's probably a better passer than Tebow too, ha).

Plus, he's very physical and was a productive pass rusher (9 sacks in 2012).
I don't think I can handle drafting anyone named Kwame anymore.
Originally posted by Husker49er:
I don't think I can handle drafting anyone named Kwame anymore.

I'm sure we'll ask him in the interviews whether he likes soy sauce on rice and how sensitive he is to underwear theft.
negged
Share 49ersWebzone