Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I'd opt for DL who can play multiple positions...like Jesse Williams and/or Jonathan Hankins. Either could play NT, but they can also line up at DE. You're projecting 3 DL...who would you cut? I got it that Sopoaga may not be back. Instead of 3 rookies, I'd supplant whatever DL are drafted with a vet...like Randy Starks. He's a proven commodity, another guy who can play both inside and out. When Justin Smith was hurt, none of our other vets really stepped up to pick up any slack...now you're advocating to bring in 3 rookies? Good luck with that.
I'd draft two top DL...again though, guys who can lineup anywhere. But it's a must to bring in a vet like Starks...you just can't depend on rookies to stem the tide. Like you, I'd draft 2 CB's and a S. I'd also draft Zach Ertz...who's the best TE in the country. Can't tell me Kap wouldn't be ecstatic with a 6-6 TE with great hands. TE's who can block are a dime a dozen. Guys who have Ertz' skills are pretty rare, plus he knows Harbaugh's offense.
You may be close with the total number...I'm thinking after Baalke trades up to get his guys (which he's very apt to do), he'll end up with @ 8 total picks, but all guys who have a good shot at the roster. I do like your emphasis on defense...which is exactly the help we need.
Good post. You bring up a lot of interesting counterpoints.
- Would love to get Ertz, but he's gone by 31 in all likelihood. Dion Sims is not strictly a blocker. He's not the receiver Ertz is (few are), but he has reliable hands and can move surprisingly well for his size. Caught 36 balls for 475 in a run-oriented offense.
- Sopoaga is gone, RJF may be gone too, and I wouldn't mind cutting Dobbs or Ian Williams.
- Jesse Williams is strictly a nose, I think. Lacks the athleticism to rotate with Justin Smith or Ray Mac. He supposedly runs a 4.71 40, but when you watch him play he looks stationary. That said, I'd love him at nose if he falls to 31.
- I would love to get Johnathan Hankins, but I had to limit myself a little. Hankins is probably gone at 31.
- Randy Starks would be awesome, but I have a feeling he's out of our price range. Plus, he can certainly play nose in a pinch, but he's more of a 3-4 DE. I want a bigger body to play nose.
- Like I said, in a perfect world we could get Sheldon Richardson or Datone Jones as the successor to Justin Smith, but I think they're gone at 31. Maybe we'll trade up.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Feb 9, 2013 at 7:58 AM ]