There are 205 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Cooper Mock Draft 3.0 (Post Super Bowl)

This draft is assuming that we re-sign Goldson long term
It is also assuming that we get the Chiefs 3rd round pick for Alex Smith, plus a 4th round and 7th round comp pick

1. Datone Jones, 6-4, 280. DT/DE UCLA
Versatile D-Lineman who is strong and quick. I think he will settle down as a 3-4 End and eventually take over for Justin Smith after rotating in for the start of his career..

2. Trade our 4th and 2nd round pick to move up to mid-early 2nd round
Cordarrelle Patterson, 6-3, 200. WR Tennessee
Big, fast, athletic specimen for a WR. He is a bit raw, but I think he can contribute in a number of ways due to his athleticism right away..

3a.(from Chiefs) Leon McFadden, 5-9, 193. CB San Diego State
Tough, gritty, confident, quick corner who is excellent in man coverage and can cover the slot right away..

3b. (from Panthers) Brandon Williams, 6-1, 341. DT/NT Missouri Southern
Mammoth D-Lineman with run-stuffing ability and pass rushing skills who can rotate in and eventually take over at NT after he learns the scheme and technique..

3c. Jonathan Cyprien, 6-1, 209. S Florida International
Hard-hitting, physical safety, who can help cover the tight ends and big-bodied WR's that we've had so much trouble with IMO. Eventual replacement for Whitner as well..

4.(Comp) Brian Schwenke, 6-3, 307, C California
Really improved his stock after the senior bowl. Goodwin won't be re-signed after next year and I think this guy can develop and eventually start..

5a. Matt Scott, 6-3, 196. QB Arizona
Future back-up QB who fits the system much better than Tolzien. I know Kaepernick avoids contact as much as possible, but he is very injury prone due to this offense and a good back-up QB is much more essential than some might think..

5b. Dustin Hopkins, 6-2, 190. K Florida State
A consistent, confident, and talented kicker is essential. Akers is gone..

6a. Quanterus Smith, 6-5, 249. 3-4 OLB. Western Kentucky
A great pass rusher who falls due to an ACL tear. Exceptional talent this late in the draft and would be a great situational pass rusher..

6b. Jasper Collins, 5-10, 183. WR Mount Union
A small school receiver with great hands and good quickness.. Could develop into a solid slot receiver. Compares to Lance Moore..

7a. Ryan Griffin, 6-6, 254. TE UConn
Another one of my late round-FA favorites. Big Tight End with great hands and ability to elevate and attack the ball at its highest point. Also has above average YAC ability for a guy his size. Is a willing and able blocker..

7b. James Hurst, 6-7, 310. OT UNC
Late round flier on a guy with good talent but had an up and down year

[ Edited by Cooper22 on Feb 7, 2013 at 4:38 PM ]
I think you have covered a number of issues for our team. I missed the Punt Returner and I do not want a "short" CB. But the defense would look better on paper anyways if we got this draft.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
I think you have covered a number of issues for our team. I missed the Punt Returner and I do not want a "short" CB. But the defense would look better on paper anyways if we got this draft.

Cordarrelle Patterson was really good returning punts for Tennessee. It's one of the ways I think he can contribute right away
The 49ers have 14 picks
I really like the first two picks. Well done
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
The 49ers have 14 picks

I don't think they're going to pick 5 guys in the 7th round.. I cut those out
[ Edited by Cooper22 on Feb 7, 2013 at 4:37 PM ]
Favorite picks are Shweinke and Hopkins.

I don't like Patterson in the second. I don't really like a WR anywhere in the first 3 round. I feel like the defense is more important. I want a field stretching threat like Patterson but I'm counting on Jenkins and Manningham to be reborn from the ashes and bolster the WR corp. Although you address the dline and secondary I think we could get more quality by picking one of the better players at those positions with the 2nd. Just my opinion.
Originally posted by Cooper22:
Cordarrelle Patterson was really good returning punts for Tennessee. It's one of the ways I think he can contribute right away

I think Patterson might end up in the late 1st when all is said and done, he's really a hell of a specimen, don't see him being there.

As far as your other picks, its a lot of players that I like, McFadden, B. Williams, Cyprien, Scott, Hopkins, Smith, all pretty good prospects.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Favorite picks are Shweinke and Hopkins.

I don't like Patterson in the second. I don't really like a WR anywhere in the first 3 round. I feel like the defense is more important. I want a field stretching threat like Patterson but I'm counting on Jenkins and Manningham to be reborn from the ashes and bolster the WR corp. Although you address the dline and secondary I think we could get more quality by picking one of the better players at those positions with the 2nd. Just my opinion.

Once again, why are people counting on Manningham for anything? He's coming off a devastating injury, he tore both his ACL AND PCL, if he's back on the field before October it would be absolutely amazing.

Right now, this team has 2 WR's, Crabtree and Jenkins. On the offensive side of the ball, WR is THE biggest need, as long as the 49ers can add depth at DE and NT, I don't care where they draft a WR at, I just know they need at least one and preferably 2.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I think Patterson might end up in the late 1st when all is said and done, he's really a hell of a specimen, don't see him being there.

As far as your other picks, its a lot of players that I like, McFadden, B. Williams, Cyprien, Scott, Hopkins, Smith, all pretty good prospects.

I think he goes #12 to Miami.
I like all the picks...hits all the areas.....Do we really have t
This draft is assuming that we re-sign Goldson long term
It is also assuming that we get the Chiefs 3rd round pick for Alex Smith, plus a 4th round and 7th round comp pick

1. Datone Jones, 6-4, 280. DT/DE UCLA
Versatile D-Lineman who is strong and quick. I think he will settle down as a 3-4 End and eventually take over for Justin Smith after rotating in for the start of his career..

2. Trade our 4th and 2nd round pick to move up to mid-early 2nd round
Cordarrelle Patterson, 6-3, 200. WR Tennessee
Big, fast, athletic specimen for a WR. He is a bit raw, but I think he can contribute in a number of ways due to his athleticism right away..

3a.(from Chiefs) Leon McFadden, 5-9, 193. CB San Diego State
Tough, gritty, confident, quick corner who is excellent in man coverage and can cover the slot right away..

3b. (from Panthers) Brandon Williams, 6-1, 341. DT/NT Missouri Southern
Mammoth D-Lineman with run-stuffing ability and pass rushing skills who can rotate in and eventually take over at NT after he learns the scheme and technique..

3c. Jonathan Cyprien, 6-1, 209. S Florida International
Hard-hitting, physical safety, who can help cover the tight ends and big-bodied WR's that we've had so much trouble with IMO. Eventual replacement for Whitner as well..

4.(Comp) Brian Schwenke, 6-3, 307, C California
Really improved his stock after the senior bowl. Goodwin won't be re-signed after next year and I think this guy can develop and eventually start..

5a. Matt Scott, 6-3, 196. QB Arizona
Future back-up QB who fits the system much better than Tolzien. I know Kaepernick avoids contact as much as possible, but he is very injury prone due to this offense and a good back-up QB is much more essential than some might think..

5b. Dustin Hopkins, 6-2, 190. K Florida State
A consistent, confident, and talented kicker is essential. Akers is gone..

6a. Quanterus Smith, 6-5, 249. 3-4 OLB. Western Kentucky
A great pass rusher who falls due to an ACL tear. Exceptional talent this late in the draft and would be a great situational pass rusher..

6b. Jasper Collins, 5-10, 183. WR Mount Union
A small school receiver with great hands and good quickness.. Could develop into a solid slot receiver. Compares to Lance Moore..

7a. Ryan Griffin, 6-6, 254. TE UConn
Another one of my late round-FA favorites. Big Tight End with great hands and ability to elevate and attack the ball at its highest point. Also has above average YAC ability for a guy his size. Is a willing and able blocker..

7b. James Hurst, 6-7, 310. OT UNC
Late round flier on a guy with good talent but had an up and down year

I like all the picks, 1-8 are money....but are all those guys gunna make the team??? 12 guys is a lot....I'd be suprised if more than 8 made the squad
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Once again, why are people counting on Manningham for anything? He's coming off a devastating injury, he tore both his ACL AND PCL, if he's back on the field before October it would be absolutely amazing.

Right now, this team has 2 WR's, Crabtree and Jenkins. On the offensive side of the ball, WR is THE biggest need, as long as the 49ers can add depth at DE and NT, I don't care where they draft a WR at, I just know they need at least one and preferably 2.

Why wouldn't you count on him coming back?! Players get injured and the rehab. Adrian Peterson and Peyton Manning had "devestating" injuries and they were co-mvps. Im not saying Manningham is going to be anywhere on that level but your acting like players don't rehab. We made due without him and Jenkins did we not? Next season will get both of them back. If your so discouraged on manningham than we should just cut him and moss and look for a deep threat in FA. Plus its not like any player we drafted would be able to make an immediate impact. Kaep throws like a cannon and that takes time to get used to. These WRs have to be conditioned. So why draft a prospect at 2nd when you can draft one at 3rd or 4th and get the same amount of production and taking the same amount of time to integrate the player. Honestly I just would prefer us using the first 2 picks on Dline.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Why wouldn't you count on him coming back?! Players get injured and the rehab. Adrian Peterson and Peyton Manning had "devestating" injuries and they were co-mvps. Im not saying Manningham is going to be anywhere on that level but your acting like players don't rehab. We made due without him and Jenkins did we not? Next season will get both of them back. If your so discouraged on manningham than we should just cut him and moss and look for a deep threat in FA. Plus its not like any player we drafted would be able to make an immediate impact. Kaep throws like a cannon and that takes time to get used to. These WRs have to be conditioned. So why draft a prospect at 2nd when you can draft one at 3rd or 4th and get the same amount of production and taking the same amount of time to integrate the player. Honestly I just would prefer us using the first 2 picks on Dline.

A torn ACL AND PCL....let's just say I'm not too hopeful, I'd be happy if he could pull off being the number 5 or 6 WR next season.

I also don't like the insistence that a team absolutely MUST draft someone at a certain point in the draft. Draft where the value is, if you're in Round 2 and you've got the choice between a potential gamebreaking WR or a so-so defensive line player.....its not a difficult choice to make, target guys who fit what you're trying to do on offense or defense and draft by value.
Good draft. I say that because it is almost identical to mine. LOL 5 of the same picks and the same exact trade with the Chiefs. I would be happy with this.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Feb 7, 2013 at 6:18 PM ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Good draft. I say that because it is almost identical to mine. LOL 5 of the same picks and the same exact trade with the Chiefs. I would be happy with this.

I hope the trade happens like that, it would be beautiful to have another early 3rd rounder, there's going to be a lot of top talent still around at that point.