LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 248 users in the forums

My rough mock offseason, free agent signings and extensions, cuts, etc... (No Draft yet)

Thanks AB--nice projection. There will always be guys who go for the money in FAcy but some will restructure, and this team seems to be very much a draw for FAs. If many practice squad guys stayed rather than join other teams for more money, I imagine the same will be true with FAs.

I like keeping Manningham and would also keep Moss. Anticipating replacing veterans with draft choices is a crap shoot...Jenkins proved that this year. He may become a starter next year but why risk another Super Bowl run by relying on unproven rookies?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Thanks AB--nice projection. There will always be guys who go for the money in FAcy but some will restructure, and this team seems to be very much a draw for FAs. If many practice squad guys stayed rather than join other teams for more money, I imagine the same will be true with FAs.

I like keeping Manningham and would also keep Moss. Anticipating replacing veterans with draft choices is a crap shoot...Jenkins proved that this year. He may become a starter next year but why risk another Super Bowl run by relying on unproven rookies?

My issue is now I feel Moss won't want to be back under same role, if he wants more time, he might bolt, though 2 WRs with ACL injuries would open the door.
AB, those numbers assume that Smith and Whitner only have a year more with us. If they play (and they both have more in them) longer with us, those out year salaries will compound with the extensions and will get us in salary cap hell, won't they?

How many years do you need in the league for your salary to only count for the veteran credit? How does that work? You mentioned Davis wouldn't hurt that much because he would only count for 620K.
Originally posted by ninergold:
AB, those numbers assume that Smith and Whitner only have a year more with us. If they play (and they both have more in them) longer with us, those out year salaries will compound with the extensions and will get us in salary cap hell, won't they?

How many years do you need in the league for your salary to only count for the veteran credit? How does that work? You mentioned Davis wouldn't hurt that much because he would only count for 620K.

Not neccessarly in cap hell. The structuring it key, we did great with Brooks, Willis, Vernon, Bowman and Lee in extensions and structure, so I'm sure we can get the key guys extended.

Vet Credit is for players on 1 yr deals for minimum, starts at year 6 of being eligible, or 5 years played.
Letting Haralson and Akers go make a lot of sense to me. Gore and Jennings are big salaries that might fall away after next year, so maybe that will provide some relief, as well.
Whew!

That's a lot of work. Thanks.

Question - How much $$ does Boone earn and how soon will he get a new deal?
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Whew!

That's a lot of work. Thanks.

Question - How much $$ does Boone earn and how soon will he get a new deal?

Wouldn't worry about Boone for a while. He is now signed through 2015.. and his total cap hits for the next 3 years are 1.94, 1.74, and 1.99.

( he plays like he has for another season, and his agent might push for bigger $ though )
I really like Manningham, but would rather wait to resign him so we can see how he responses to his knee injury. Brown is a solid CB so I like giving him a deal but not Whitner. He is a solid SS, but I would rather try and up grade that position in the draft somewhere over the next two years. Great work though!
How much of a cap hit is it to cut whitner? And id get parys to take a pay cut and let him compete with fleming and johnson.
AB you are the man, great work!

Man, that's alot of work and EVEN MORE think it through. Thanks!

There are a lot of questions but for me, the front burner questin is Whittner.

Keeping him for 2 more years is hard to agree with. He hits like a tank BUT has trouble covering receivers. If I'm an opposing D-coordinator I'm going after him all day, all night for whole game.

I don't think we can realistically replace both S and don't want to yET i can't see keeping both of them

Slightly off topic. In your opinions, could Cully be converted to a S?
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Man, that's alot of work and EVEN MORE think it through. Thanks!

There are a lot of questions but for me, the front burner questin is Whittner.

Keeping him for 2 more years is hard to agree with. He hits like a tank BUT has trouble covering receivers. If I'm an opposing D-coordinator I'm going after him all day, all night for whole game.

I don't think we can realistically replace both S and don't want to yET i can't see keeping both of them

Slightly off topic. In your opinions, could Cully be converted to a S?

Yeah, I am thinking Whitner would be cut, saves $3.85 million. I think Culliver would be a good Safety, he played some safety in college.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
My issue is now I feel Moss won't want to be back under same role, if he wants more time, he might bolt, though 2 WRs with ACL injuries would open the door.

Good point! Especially after the game he played Sunday. He may not be quite as good a role model as thought. If Manningham is back next year, along with Jenkins, Crabtree, Williams I would still want a good WR rookie and a FA as well to fight for jobs. Harbaugh values competition at every position so this seems reasonable.
With the probability of a new kicker, any inquires on K Phil Dawson who is a free agent?
Lock up Davis and Iupati....we need that line....we can part ways with Mario and RJF. I like the T Brown deal, not sure if he won't want more money. And cowboy won't hold up for 4 more years. D Lineman don't last 15+ years in the NFL
Share 49ersWebzone