There are 104 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MBA Mock Draft 3.0 Post Senior Bowl Edition

After watching the Senior Bowl and with Combine yet to come, here is my third attempt at a mock:

Gone
Alex Smith (traded for a 4th round pick)
Moss
Grant
Akers
Dixon
Ginn
Walker
Haralson
Haggans
Soap

Extensions/Resign
Goldson
RJF
Goodwin
J Smith

Free Agent Targets
Travis Beckum TE (thanks, Ghost) - TE/H-back replacement for Walker

Choices based on prospect rankings from NFLDraftScout.com dated 1/29/13.

Round 1 DeAndre Hopkins WR Clemson 6'1" 200 lbs - WR to replace Randy Moss
Round 2 Brandon Williams DT Missouri Southern 6'2" 341lbs - proved he could hang with the big boys at the Senior Bowl; Tomsula's next project
Round 3 (From Carolina) Robert Alford CB SE Louisiana 5'10" 186 lbs - Return man and CB depth
Round 3 Sylvester Williams DT North Carolina 6'3" 313 lbs - more depth on the d line
Round 4 (from KC) Cornelius Carradine DE/OLB Florida St. 6'4" 265 lbs - coming off injury, but a good pass rusher to spell Aldon and Brooks
Round 4 Brian Schwenke C Cal 6'3" 307 lbs - best C in a very weak class; insurance for Goodwin
Round 4 (Comp Pick) Josh Boyd DT 6'3" 312 lbs - good showing at Senior Bowl; more toys for Tomsula
Round 5 (from Colts) Rick Wagner OT Wisconsin 6'8" 318 lbs - replaced Gabe Carimi as the Wisconsin starter when he graduated; experience at RT and LT
Round 5 Ace Sanders WR South Carolina 5'8" 176 lbs - best return man in college football; more weapons for Seely
Round 6 JJ Wilcox SS Georgia Southern 5'11" 214 lbs - more secondary help
Round 6 Dennis Johnson RB Arkansas 5'8' 212 lbs - RB depth and also can return kicks
Round 7 Caleb Sturgis K Florida 5'10" 185 lbs - replacement for Akers
Round 7 Bruce Taylor ILB VA Tech 6'2" 244 lbs - depth behind our studs (from Bengals)
Round 7 Nick Florence QB Baylor 6'0" 205 lbs - RG3's replacement had a good year; #3 QB
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Feb 1, 2013 at 7:35 AM ]
Forgot Sopoaga walking, but I can see it as implied.

Why extend Goodwin? Just to get the 2013 cap down?

Draft is solid... no one pick blows me away with awesomeness in value or prospect.... but solid.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Forgot Sopoaga walking, but I can see it as implied.

Why extend Goodwin? Just to get the 2013 cap down?

Draft is solid... no one pick blows me away with awesomeness in value or prospect.... but solid.

You were right about Soap. Fixed that.

Goodwin's extension is definitely related to the cap. Same thing with extending Cowboy.

I can accept a solid but not awesome draft based on the existing talent level on this team.
Replacing Grant with a 7th round pick?
Originally posted by English:

Yeah. Turn that Boyd pick (already drafted 2 DL) into a solid LB like A.J. Klein, Bostic, or Vince Williams.

(though Taylor looks like a steal in rd 7 if he falls that far)
Why cutting Parys? He is still under contract, and was sorely missed this season. He was etremely underrated on this board for hat he did in 2011. One of the reasons our run defense dropped off was the loss of parys to the rotations.
Interesting.

Cutting Payys is a good move. He was missed because there wasn't anyone to fill his spot. I've had a good feeling about Cam coming off IR to fill the spot or maybe Flemming.

You definitely cover a lot of bases and I'll need to do some research AFTER the Super Bowl.
Nice work but I wouldn't cut Parys. Get him to take a pay cut depending on his cap number. But I'd at least have him in camp battling it out with Fleming and Johnson. All 3 guys coming off injury so it's gonna be touch and go to see who is healthier
Originally posted by English:

Yeah. Turn that Boyd pick (already drafted 2 DL) into a solid LB like A.J. Klein, Bostic, or Vince Williams.

(though Taylor looks like a steal in rd 7 if he falls that far)

Good point. Then again, the Niners still have Tavares Gooden in the fold, too. Maybe another Free Agent signing would help. Guess I just missed on that one......
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Why cutting Parys? He is still under contract, and was sorely missed this season. He was etremely underrated on this board for hat he did in 2011. One of the reasons our run defense dropped off was the loss of parys to the rotations.

Plain and simple, it's his salary. The guy would be a backup making $2.45 million a year. If he takes a pay cut to stay, the Niners would have to consider it, but not at his current salary.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Plain and simple, it's his salary. The guy would be a backup making $2.45 million a year. If he takes a pay cut to stay, the Niners would have to consider it, but not at his current salary.

Im not opposed to the move, if they have someone to replace him. But 2.45 million for a third OLB of Parys caliber is not alot of money. We sorely missed him this season, and if there is not a replacment, we will miss him again.
Good point. Then again, the Niners still have Tavares Gooden in the fold, too. Maybe another Free Agent signing would help. Guess I just missed on that one......

No, Gooden is also an UFA.. so unless you sign him? we lose both Grant and Gooden.

Actually, Haralson will be hitting our cap with a 2.87 cost. He's simply not worth that, so I applaud you dumping him.

No, Gooden is also an UFA.. so unless you sign him? we lose both Grant and Gooden.

Actually, Haralson will be hitting our cap with a 2.87 cost. He's simply not worth that, so I applaud you dumping him.

If both Grant and Gooden are gone as free agents, then I would consider Kevin Reddick North Carolina or Kiko Alonso Oregon along with the previous guys Klein, Bostic and Williams.
If both Grant and Gooden are gone as free agents, then I would consider Kevin Reddick North Carolina or Kiko Alonso Oregon along with the previous guys Klein, Bostic and Williams.

Good call. I can any of those 5 being nice young options behind 52 + 53.
Can't see the team going with that many potential rookies. I do see Baalke trading some of those picks for more future picks, like the pats always do. Or we trade up for quality this year.