LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 217 users in the forums

I' ve concluded that DL Jesse Williams is 'my guy' at #32 ( or near there)

Originally posted by reasonable1:
You are aware that the 0,1,3,5,7 and 9-tech are actual defensive positions and not attributes, right?

yes I know. I'm using the term as "their ability to play that position"
I think Williams will be their in the mid 2nd round but Jones is gonna be off the board. They got the firepower to trade a up few picks if they really want him
Originally posted by nickbradley:
yes I know. I'm using the term as "their ability to play that position"

Oh ok...I was just following the convo and got stumped when I saw that...like
Originally posted by lamontb:
I think Williams will be their in the mid 2nd round but Jones is gonna be off the board. They got the firepower to trade a up few picks if they really want him

if Baalke decides YOLO, we will def get him
YOLO!!!
Williams is a great 3-4 DE prospect. That is what he played at Alabama too. He is not a NG prospect at all and gets lost in there. He is a freak though at the 5 technique and would be a great pick. I bet he is taken in the second though....he is not a splash player.
It's hard not to like JW...versatile, great size, etc. Comparing him and Jonathan Hankins, though, I'd say JH has better pass rushing skills. The thing about both guys is they can play anywhere on the DL. If I had to pick only one, I'd probably go w/Hankins, although like you, I think JW has the right stuff.
Would love to get Jesse Williams to play nose if he falls to 31, but I'm not sure how effective he'd be at 3-4 DE. He has no real pass rush ability.

Using Justin and Ray Mac as a model for what we want in a 3-4 DE, I think we would target smaller, more athletic guys that can rush the passer like Sharrif Floyd, Sheldon Richardson, and Datone Jones. Unfortunately I think they're all gone by 31. We may need to be aggressive and trade up into the mid-teens.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Would love to get Jesse Williams to play nose if he falls to 31, but I'm not sure how effective he'd be at 3-4 DE. He has no real pass rush ability.

Using Justin and Ray Mac as a model for what we want in a 3-4 DE, I think we would target smaller, more athletic guys that can rush the passer like Sharrif Floyd, Sheldon Richardson, and Datone Jones. Unfortunately I think they're all gone by 31. We may need to be aggressive and trade up into the mid-teens.

Good call on the 3-4 DE's. It will most likely take a trade into the mid teens or the early 20's at the latest to get one of those three prospects. If the Niners stand pat and Williams is there at #31, it would be a great value pick for a potentially great NT.
I see us picking the best physical corner at #32 or moving back into the 2nd.

Originally posted by bigwads:
Williams is a great 3-4 DE prospect. That is what he played at Alabama too. He is not a NG prospect at all and gets lost in there. He is a freak though at the 5 technique and would be a great pick. I bet he is taken in the second though....he is not a splash player.

Explain exactly why you're claiming this, I don't feel that way at all.

Additionally I feel his abilities would be wasted at DE as he's not a pass rusher at all.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by bigwads:

Explain exactly why you're claiming this, I don't feel that way at all.

Additionally I feel his abilities would be wasted at DE as he's not a pass rusher at all.

The fact that Williams did not have many sacks at Alabama does necessarily mean that he can not be effective rushing the passer.
That lack of sacks at Alabama may have been a product of the defensive scheme and the role he was assigned.

I think we need to see just how athletic and explosive he is.

The combine will help clarify his potential at 3-4 defensive end.

edit: Williams played both 3-4 DE and NT at Alabama.

Bottom Line

This Australia native came through the junior college ranks before starting all 13 games for the 2011 BCS champions at five-technique and another 13 games at nose tackle in 2012.

Williams uses his size, consistent motor and supreme toughness to drain his opponents at the point of attack.

His best NFL position is likely at nose tackle, but Williams has enough athleticism to play multiple spots for a 3-4 team at the next level.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/jesse-williams?id=2539192
[ Edited by buck on Feb 9, 2013 at 1:13 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
The fact that Williams did not have many sacks at Alabama does necessarily mean that he can not be effective rushing the passer.
That lack of sacks at Alabama may have been a product of the defensive scheme and the role he was assigned.

He supposedly runs in the 4.7 range, but as I mentioned in another thread, he looks completely stationary when you watch him play. Even in pursuit down the LOS his feet look very heavy.

He might instantly be the strongest guy in the entire league as soon as he's drafted, but I have a tough time envisioning him offering much from a pass rush standpoint.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Feb 9, 2013 at 12:55 PM ]
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Fat?

Passes the eye test. That's a big dude! No Nutri-System for that fella.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Originally posted by buck:

He supposedly runs in the 4.7 range, but as I mentioned in another thread, he looks completely stationary when you watch him play. Even in pursuit down the LOS his feet look very heavy.

He might instantly be the strongest guy in the entire league as soon as he's drafted, but I have a tough time envisioning him offering much from a pass rush standpoint.

Your DT clogs the middle and collapses the pocket that the QB would be stepping up into when he's getting rushed off the edges. Why wouldn't you want the strongest guy in the entire league to play that position......
Share 49ersWebzone