LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 210 users in the forums

I' ve concluded that DL Jesse Williams is 'my guy' at #32 ( or near there)

I'd rather have Shariff Floyd. Better upside rushing the passer than Williams.
As someone that doesnt understand the all the details of defensive line play, this thread has been very informative.

Having said that what i'm looking for from our defensive line picks are the following:

1. Upgrade over Sop. at NT.
2. Immediate Rotational DE with "upside" to eventually replace J. Smith

I like what i'm reading about Williams (as a NT) and Jones. Assuming both are available at 32, lets take them both.
#32 Jessie Williams
trade #62, the carolina 3rd, and our 4th to move up to 33 and take Jones.
Originally posted by SFrush:
Floyd won't be available i don't think.
Originally posted by azninersfan:
As someone that doesnt understand the all the details of defensive line play, this thread has been very informative.

Having said that what i'm looking for from our defensive line picks are the following:

I like what i'm reading about Williams (as a NT) and Jones. Assuming both are available at 32, lets take them both.
#32 Jessie Williams

That is fine by the draft value chart. BU"T this is a flat draft for talent. You would be CRAZY to give up the second, third and fourth for a high second. Especially for a DE that needs time to develop.

you would miss the opportunity to grab two other quality prospects. Crazy scenario.

Now in my la la land dream world, trading Alex Smith to change draft places with KC in round two. They get pick 64, we get pick 34.
Originally posted by azninersfan:

#32 Jessie Williams

Takes Jones in the 1st....and then possibly trade up a few spots in the 2nd round and take Brandon Williams to develop as an NT. Problem solved.
My feelings are same, I want Jesse Williams at 32 if there. I also want Datone Jones if we can get up in the 2nd rd far enough to snatch him. Then a WR, TE and PK, and OL depth would be great, mainly OT. I would bring L.Davis back for 1 yr.
Originally posted by SFrush:

Beginning to think we will see a ton of DL selected in round 1 this year. My 1st round talent DL

J.Williams
S.Lotulelei
S.Floyd
S.Richardson
J.Hankins
D.Moore
B.Werner
S.Montgomery
K.Short
J.Jenkins
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Actually Sheldon Richardson is the best 3-4 DE prospect in the draft, and possibly Star Lotulelei, depending on where you see him playing in the pro's, Datone Jones is the best pure fit for the 49ers in the area where they'll be picking.

THAT'S my guy right there.

Perfect fit for this defense...high motor...active...disruptive...good run defender...plays with solid base and leverage...does not get caught out of position...holds the point very well...and a very solid pass rusher.

I'm all in for that guy.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Well now that you mention it, I'd be happy with a conversion to the 4-3.

... but to the bolded, just what D-scheme do you think we are running now? We are running a primarily 1-gap 3-4... so why do you imagine that our 3 DL are there to simply soak up blocks and not rush the passer? Did you know that RayMac and Justin both were in the top 10 for QB hurries?

So basically what I am saying is.. our scheme works to get pass rush from all of our front 7... so the DEs need to be able to pass rush well. Justin's strength is pass rushing and scraping quickly down the LOS to make tackles away from his gap. He isn't a run-blocking cow protecting his gaps. He holds up well on singles though, and that's where our stud ILBs and Goldson come into play.

Most here want a true heir apparent to Justin... and most are willing to move up to get him if need be. All the talk of needing to trade up prior to the Combine seems premature to me. But anyway, back to my point. We want a Justin replacement that is good/okay at run D and very good at pass rush.... say hello, Datone.. say g'bye, Jesse.

... and if you want a guy that is better at run D than Datone... but a little less on pass rush than Datone? ... then Floyd's your man.

Why may I ask would you prefer to run a 4-3?
Originally posted by nickbradley:
What? Justin smith is considered the prototype 5-technique DE in the NFL. But he can shift to a 3-tech in nickel situations and obvious passing downs, as the article points out.

Another technique in need of a new prototype, with the injuries to Ty Warren, we're looking for a new person to pass the torch to. The traditional 5-technique is a two-gap player, lining up directly over the offensive tackle, and responsible for the B- and C-gaps on his side of the formation. He has to be able to stack tall offensive tackles and shed blocks to make the stop in either one of his gaps. 3-4 nose tackles can control their gaps on the interior with sheer bulk (in short areas their strength and size is paramount), but on the edge, against taller tackles, 5-technique players need not just size but 'length' (height and arm length combined).

At 6'4 and 290lbs, Justin Smith has the requisite size, length and agility to dominate this position. He also has fearsome strength, plays with fantastic leverage, and has a motor that simply won't quit. This allows the 49ers to use him in multiple positions on their D-line, kicking inside to more of a 3-technique role in nickel situations, and makes him the most dominant 3-4 DE in the game. Justin Smith is more than good enough at every facet of the game to be the NFL's new prototype 5-technique.

Ray McDonald plays two-gap/5-technique as well. but when we shift to nickel and Sopoaga comes out in obvious passing downs, cowboy and RayMc play a 3-technique and shoot the gap.

And just to be clear, Sopoaga doesn't have a very good 0-technique, and its something he had to learn.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/05/28/defensive-prototypes-defensive-line/

You are aware that the 0,1,3,5,7 and 9-tech are actual defensive positions and not attributes, right?

• 4ML
  • Veteran
I like William Gholston from Michigan State from this draft. He can sit behind Justin for a year or two and learn and then eventually take over. Great against the run and has the speed to be a good pass-rusher when he's ready.

Obviously, I believe we can wait a couple of rounds to draft a DE (which is why I like Gholston). I'd love to draft Jesse Williams as a NT though.

Personally, I'd trade my 1st rounder. There will be teams looking to trade up to land a QB, and I'd love to get their 1st round pick from next year. I want to make a run at Clowney.
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Jan 31, 2013 at 4:07 AM ]
We must also address CB in this draft. Rogers is no spring chicken and Brown/Cox are both free agents after next season. We must add at least 1 if not 2 CB's in this draft.
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Why may I ask would you prefer to run a 4-3?

It's just a scheme preference for me... specifically the 4-3 Under scheme. I feel that this would benefit the personnel greatly. This is what I did in my last GM Mock recently...

( 4-3 Under scheme )

RE - Aldon Smith, Demarcus Dobbs vs Cam Johnson vs Cornelius Washington
RDT - Justin Smith, Datone Jones
LDT - Isaac Sopoaga, , Kwame Geathers vs Ian Williams
LE - Ray McDonald, Ricky Jean-Francois, Will Tukuafu

WLB - Navarro Bowman, Darius Fleming
MLB - Patrick Willis, Larry Grant vs A.J. Klein
SLB - Ahmad Brooks, John Simon

LCB - Chris Culliver, Tramaine Brock
RCB - Tarell Brown, Jamar Taylor
NCB - Leodis McKelvin, Perrish Cox

FS - Dashon Goldson, Trenton Robinson vs Joshua Evans
SS - Donte Whitner, C.J. Spillman

In this scheme, the key thing is your pass rushing on the weak side of the LOS and your stout lineman on the strong side. In a 4-3 Under, Aldon will be asked to rush the QB... none of this coverage crap that wastes his talents. He will frequently be single blocked.. or else Justin will get the single... either way? win-win.

This scheme also puts Brooks at SLB, but closer to the LOS... so he can rush the edge... contain the run edge.. and drop in short hook coverages at times.

Bottom line is this helps everyone.. gives Willis and Bowman more protection up front so that they can roam more freely... gives our best rushers (Smiths) more one one one blockers... will give opposing QBs less time in the pocket.. which will help our secondary.
[ Edited by Mr.Mcgibblets on Jan 31, 2013 at 5:50 AM ]
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Floyd won't be available i don't think.
Too early to say.
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Actually Sheldon Richardson is the best 3-4 DE prospect in the draft, and possibly Star Lotulelei, depending on where you see him playing in the pro's, Datone Jones is the best pure fit for the 49ers in the area where they'll be picking.

THAT'S my guy right there.

Perfect fit for this defense...high motor...active...disruptive...good run defender...plays with solid base and leverage...does not get caught out of position...holds the point very well...and a very solid pass rusher.

I'm all in for that guy.

One of my favorite players in the draft, but no way he's available for us.
Share 49ersWebzone